Lights, Camera, Bookstore!

Images via Buenos Aires For 91 Days

I’ve always thought it would be nifty to live in a converted old theater. Though I haven’t really thought about the logistics, I just imagine walking under the marquee and by the retro ticket booth on my way to cook dinner or read on my couch, and I’m sold. In reality, this quixotic idea probably won’t ever come to fruition. So, to sate my adulation of repurposed buildings, I’ll stare at the jaw-dropping pictures of Buenos Aires’ El Ateneo Grand Splendid, a theater-turned-bookstore, and swim in daydreams of someday making it to Argentina to see it for myself.

14 Responses to Lights, Camera, Bookstore!

1. Sal 03/09/2011 at 12:36 pm #

there is a beautiful bookstore almost exactly like this in toronto, too!

• JJ 03/09/2011 at 4:57 pm #

I know the one you’re talking about! I’ve been there myself and it’s a beautiful store, I think it’s the only Chapters I actually like >.<

2. kass 03/09/2011 at 12:37 pm #

wow! I think I’ve died and gone to heaven. *sigh* The two things i love most combined to one. I would love to visit it some day. :)

3. MB at Yarn U iPhone app 03/09/2011 at 1:56 pm #

OH wow. that’s beautifully repurposed…and the romantic in me says it could be turned back into a theater one day if the stars line up correctly. Just add seats, movie screen and popcorn and you’re all set!

4. Katie C 03/09/2011 at 2:12 pm #

The urban outfitters in charleston, SC is located in a old theater. It is not nearly as marvelous as this theater, but Urban Outfitters has made it into a very charming space.

5. katie petix 03/09/2011 at 2:29 pm #

Wow’s the word! Now I know what country to plan my next trip to! Totally EPIC!
    xoxo kat

6. Sarah 03/09/2011 at 2:58 pm #

Me and my boyfriend have always dreamed about getting married in a theatre. Bookstore is a definite #2 use for me! Fantastic!

<3 Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

7. Flora 03/09/2011 at 6:34 pm #

I’m from Argentina and I strongly recommend visiting this bookstore, it’s a spectacle for book/architecture lovers, just like me. And it still works as a theater sometimes! xx

8. Angela 03/09/2011 at 6:51 pm #

Oh.Em.Gee. This is amazing and a dream come true!!

9. olivia 03/09/2011 at 7:44 pm #

Okay, where can I go to buy that place and live there? Love, love, love!

10. claire 03/09/2011 at 9:57 pm #

i’ve been living in Argentina almost six months now, and this is still one of my favorite haunts! And it’s even more beautiful in person :)

11. Meanz 03/09/2011 at 11:46 pm #

This is so amazing! The bookstore of my dreams! :)

12. Maria 03/10/2011 at 2:53 am #

it looks magnificent! For someone like me with a love for theatre ( and working in said field) and books its on my list of places to see!

just makes me wonder why it got turned into a bookstore in the first place. seems such a shame that that space isnt being used for what it was really meant for!

13. Alex 03/11/2011 at 4:54 pm #

This has to be the most gorgeous bookstore I’ve ever seen! It’s amazing.