For Your Health Muffins

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Resolutions are so three months ago, but better late than never, right? During a recent doctor checkup, I was encouraged to give my moderately healthy lifestyle a boost. This year, I’m seriously going for it, but not without my favorite baked good!

Pulling ideas from various recipes, I made sure each tasty ingredient had a good purpose. Please note that we are not nutritionists here at ModCloth, but I did a bit of research on each of the following ingredients that I feel confident in. By the way, if you’re a strict vegan, all you have to do is swap out the honey for agave. Other than that, no animal products are used.

The leading star of this baked good, quinoa, is a complete protein with a pleasantly crunchy texture. The mighty flax seed and the walnut are both full of omega-three fatty acids. You may already know that bananas are high in potassium, which helps with the electrolyte balance in your body. Almond milk, unlike cow’s milk, is cholesterol free. Whole wheat flour includes natural nutrients that refined white flour does not. Each of these ingredients are relatively low in calories. These muffins are yum-tacular, too, by the way.

For Your Health Muffins
Makes about 1 dozen medium sized muffins.

¾ cup dry quinoa
2 mashed bananas (the riper the better)
½ cup honey and agave nectar
â…“ cup almond milk
¼ cup flax seeds
½ cup crushed walnuts
1 cup of whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon

1. Prepare the quinoa. It’s just like making rice! Rinse the ¾ cup of dry in a mesh strainer. Add it to 1½ cup of room temperature water in a medium saucepan. Bring it a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Do not stir. Let it cook for about twenty minutes. Once cooked, let the quinoa cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat your oven to 400° F.
3. Combine mashed bananas, milk, and honey or agave.
4. Fold in nuts, flax, and cooked quinoa.
5. Toss together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
6. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture slowly. Stir gently until just combined.
7. Bake for about 18 minutes.

Once the muffins cool, enjoy with applesauce and a cup of green tea. Follow up with a brisk walk. It’s a lovely way to start off your morning!

17 Responses to For Your Health Muffins

1. Amy 03/11/2011 at 2:33 pm #

Definitely making these this weekend! I’ve always wanted to try quinoa!

2. Erin (ModCloth) 03/11/2011 at 3:29 pm #

I was fortunate enough to be in the office to try these yesterday, and now I can’t stop thinking about them! Such a great recipe, Angela!

3. Julie (ModCloth) 03/11/2011 at 3:51 pm #

These were truly delicious! And, apparently quinoa is a great source for iron, protein, and dietary fiber. And it’s super high in amino acids! I’m definitely adding this to my recipe binder.

4. LilyT 03/11/2011 at 5:24 pm #

What a neat way to cook with quinoa! I always just cook it up like rice and sprinkle on some hot sauce or use it to make my salads more filling. Did you use white or red quinoa?

• Angela (ModCloth) 03/14/2011 at 12:49 pm #

LilyT, I used white quinoa. Using red or even black might give the muffins an interesting look!

5. Sammy 03/11/2011 at 8:43 pm #

Would you recommend the white or red quinoa, or does it matter?

• Angela (ModCloth) 03/14/2011 at 12:54 pm #

Sammy, I’ve eaten quinoas of other colors, and they seemed to taste the same to me. I bet it wouldn’t matter what color you use. If you try it, I’d love to see pics of red quinoa muffins! Just post them to our Facebook page!

6. Jaime 03/11/2011 at 9:03 pm #

Quinoa is amazing! I have my mom to thank for introducing it onto our plates almost 10 years ago. I think then, only select stores carried them, and now, they’re everywhere. Definately a great positive improvement. There’s even quinoa pasta being produced, for those with celiac or other food allergens (my best friend has celiac).
    The red probably would work for this recipe, Sammy. Red quinoa is more nutty than ‘white’, though.
    And, walnuts and bananas! I will try this recipe, for sure. It sounds scrumptious. Thank you :)

7. Anon 03/11/2011 at 9:04 pm #

Great recipe, except for agave nectar, which is really not a health food at all: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/agave.html

• Caitlin 03/14/2011 at 12:35 pm #

It’s still better than many of the alternatives (eg. refined sugar), at least by some standards (I care more about glycemic index than “raw” status or total calories).

8. Kerri 03/11/2011 at 9:07 pm #

Try Zucchini raspberry Bran muffins. My favorite recipe! I can’t remember the website, but I am sure it will come up if you google it… I know the Zucchini sounds weird, but it makes the muffins really moist and delicious! :)

9. Laken 03/12/2011 at 10:05 am #

yay for vegan muffins! =D

10. Hannah 03/12/2011 at 5:02 pm #

Cannot wait to try these!

11. Rachel 03/13/2011 at 9:12 am #

These look so good! I’ll have to try them this week.

12. Caitlin 03/14/2011 at 12:33 pm #

Yum! I made these this weekend and they are super delicious! I added about a cup of frozen blueberries to the batter. Thanks for the recipe!!

13. Mags 03/15/2011 at 10:34 am #

I am totally going to try these out, I LOVE anything banana nut and I’m always looking to add some good vegan recipes to my repertoire

14. krystle 08/29/2011 at 8:17 pm #

Making these muffins were a lot of fun! Thank you for the recipe!