Resolutions are so three months ago, but better late than never, right? During a recent doctor checkup, I was encouraged to give my moderately healthy lifestyle a boost. This year, I’m seriously going for it, but not without my favorite baked good!
Pulling ideas from various recipes, I made sure each tasty ingredient had a good purpose. Please note that we are not nutritionists here at ModCloth, but I did a bit of research on each of the following ingredients that I feel confident in. By the way, if you’re a strict vegan, all you have to do is swap out the honey for agave. Other than that, no animal products are used.
The leading star of this baked good, quinoa, is a complete protein with a pleasantly crunchy texture. The mighty flax seed and the walnut are both full of omega-three fatty acids. You may already know that bananas are high in potassium, which helps with the electrolyte balance in your body. Almond milk, unlike cow’s milk, is cholesterol free. Whole wheat flour includes natural nutrients that refined white flour does not. Each of these ingredients are relatively low in calories. These muffins are yum-tacular, too, by the way.
For Your Health Muffins
Makes about 1 dozen medium sized muffins.
¾ cup dry quinoa
2 mashed bananas (the riper the better)
½ cup honey and agave nectar
⅓ cup almond milk
¼ cup flax seeds
½ cup crushed walnuts
1 cup of whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Prepare the quinoa. It’s just like making rice! Rinse the ¾ cup of dry in a mesh strainer. Add it to 1½ cup of room temperature water in a medium saucepan. Bring it a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Do not stir. Let it cook for about twenty minutes. Once cooked, let the quinoa cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat your oven to 400° F.
3. Combine mashed bananas, milk, and honey or agave.
4. Fold in nuts, flax, and cooked quinoa.
5. Toss together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
6. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture slowly. Stir gently until just combined.
7. Bake for about 18 minutes.
Once the muffins cool, enjoy with applesauce and a cup of green tea. Follow up with a brisk walk. It’s a lovely way to start off your morning!