In my opinion, any holiday is a good excuse for making tasty treats. So, I leapt on the opportunity to make these green velvet whoopie pies for St. Patrick’s Day, as adapted from Love from the Oven! It would have been a ‘sham-rock’ to pass them up! Wahaha…ha…ha…
Green Velvet Whoopie Pies
Makes about 35 small, leprechaun-sized pies
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vinegar (I used white wine)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ounce green food coloring
1-ounce package of softened cream cheese
¼ cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 bag powdered sugar (2 lb. bag)
Milk, as needed
Shamrock sprinkles (optional)
First, the cake:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease cookie sheet.
2. Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with whisk, then add in remaining liquid ingredients (including food coloring!) and whisk until blended. Set aside.
3. Place all dry ingredients in a different mixing bowl and stir together well.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix on medium-high until well combined (about a minute or two).
5. Place dollops onto cookie sheet (use a swirl motion as you pour to make them round).
6. Bake for 10 minutes, then cool.
Now, the filling:
7. Cream together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
8. Gradually add in powdered sugar and continue mixing.
9. Add in milk as needed to get to the desired consistency.
10. Frost and shamrock sprinkle away!