Page Turners: What a Long, Stylish Trip It's Been

Images via Vintagefashionmagazines.blogspot.com

If I’ve figured this out right, my dad and sister probably just left the Grand Canyon. They were on a weeklong road trip around the Southwest, a part of the country in which I’ve spent little time. Their voyage, coupled with this 1968 Vogue editorial, make me want to hop into my (nonexistent) car and set out to explore the rust red rock and stone arches inking the background of this fashion spread.

And on the topic of this fashion spread, how about those outfits? Some siren call to me with their breezy, bohemian air and others for the unabashed ‘look of the times’ they encapsulate. Granted, I probably wouldn’t wear my Neiman Marcus duds for a traipse about the desert, but whatever. It works here to further capture the late ’60s zeitgeist.

What do you think of this editorial, and have you been to the Southwest?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

9 Responses to Page Turners: What a Long, Stylish Trip It's Been

1. Reylen 03/24/2011 at 1:43 pm #

I’ve just recently taken to looking at my style and fashion more closely, and I’ve found that styles from the 60s and 70s are perfect for me. I’ve lived and traveled in the southwest my entire life, and I’m extremely taken with this editorial. I love the long hair and long dresses. It’s not too girly which is great. I even have a dress just like the one in the first photo too, and the long hair to match ! =)

2. Higgenbottom 03/24/2011 at 1:45 pm #

sooo beautiful

3. la rizada 03/24/2011 at 1:56 pm #

i live in new mexico, and i’ll tell you that the landscape is pretty inspirational for fashion. we have indian prints, flowy robes (especially worn by the aging hippies) and huge turquoise jewelry everywhere! i love it all. i’m trying to get out and take more outfit photos in the desert, too.

carrie
    larizadablog.blogspot.com

4. Victoria / Justice Pirate 03/24/2011 at 3:03 pm #

a couple years ago my hair was as long as these pictures and then I put it in dreadlocks only to cut them out so I have 9 inches more and it is back to normal. yey. it is so much fun and beautiful to have such long hair. I’ve never been to the southwest before.

5. Hana 03/24/2011 at 3:32 pm #

I must say, living in Arizona has taken all romanticism out of the Southwest. However, the Grand Canyon is still one of those places that absolutely floors me when I visit. I don’t think anyone can really get used to it.

6. Cheyenna Alsup 03/24/2011 at 4:00 pm #

I’m from New Mexico and must say the scenery here leaves you with a deep spiritual impression. The vast landscape, deep history, ancient geology, huge sky and clear light drag the artist out of every person who sees it. I highly recomend exploring this region.

7. Abigail 03/24/2011 at 9:56 pm #

I also live in New Mexico, and agree with others who have posted about deriving inspiration from the scenery, the people, the atmosphere. There are so many fun, quirky places to shop for hand-made items–colorful scarves, turquoise jewelry. I am new to the area, but I am already in love with it. And as a long-haired girl, I like that I have so much company!

8. KarenT 03/25/2011 at 9:56 am #

I love this editorial, it has such a relaxed vibe. And I noticed the nod to the band Grateful Dead in the title ;)

9. Charlotte 03/25/2011 at 1:22 pm #

Love the last two photos. That white maxi is stunning.