Leave a Message after the Beat

To be completely honest, I don’t know a soul who wouldn’t swoon for a chance to chat on their private line with actress, singer, and all-around style icon, Zooey Deschanel! Considering her reputation for an unrivaled taste in retro, from the sound of her songs to the silhouette of her skirts, it’s no surprise that Zooey graces this She & Him music video surrounded by enviable vintage furnishings.

Once the initial dance party passed, and we watched the video again to admire her wardrobe, we wondered whether our app-zapping smart phones were worthy of an all-night gabfest with a charmer of this caliber. After all, we noticed this familiar, vintage-inspired phone design at her ear in the opening sequence!

Whether your sturdy retro telephone is ringing off the hook, or you collect them on your shelf as as a sensational décor detail, you’ll love this delightful collection of our favorite phones from around the web. So, when that special someone calls to say, “Hello,” you would have to pause to consider the proper equipment!

1. Vintage phone from Etsy seller Dodad Chick 2. Dial ‘P’ for ‘Princess’ Phone 3. Hello, Operator Phone 4. Vintage Trimline Rotary Telephone from Etsy seller Brooklynretro 5. TrimPhone from Wild & Wolf 6. Mid-Century Modern Industrial Phone from Etsy seller CaptainCat 7. Call My Direct Line Phone

Chris

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Leave a Message after the Beat

1. MB @YarnU iPhoneapp v1.2 04/08/2011 at 12:51 pm #

I have a black Pottery Barn phone…it’s super heavy and I’m always afraid of dropping it on my foot so I don’t use it. Also have another old black phone probably from the 1950s that I bought at a thrift store years ago. That’s in storage, but much cuter than the Pottery Barn phone.

2. Sarah 04/08/2011 at 6:22 pm #

i always love using the retro telephones at my great aunts’ house! even though they’re heavy and a little inconvenient, they definitely make up for it in style. and they make me feel as though i’m an actress in an old-fashioned film :)

3. rosemary 04/08/2011 at 10:34 pm #

i love she & him their my all time favorite band and i want one of those phones sooo bad!!!!

4. Natalie 04/09/2011 at 12:51 pm #

I love this song!
    http://thefashionplanner.blogspot.com/ posted about it awhile back.. I totally fell in love with She & Him!

5. Danielle 04/09/2011 at 2:38 pm #

What great phones! I remember when all phones in my house had cords…
    Danielle

6. RachelC 04/10/2011 at 9:22 pm #

This is my favorite She & Him song!!!! LOVE Zooey–didn’t know the meaning of “girl crush” til I saw her face! ;) I would do anything to get to a She & Him concert….

7. Maria 04/11/2011 at 2:56 pm #

Def my favorite She & Him song. :) Super fun video, too!

I have this vintage phone that my Grandma gave to me: http://www.etsy.com/listing/67539228/french-victorian-princess-style-rotary?ref=sr_gallery_15&ga_search_query=vintage+phone&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

I’ve found a lot of the same model as mine on Etsy (including the one in the link) so it must’ve been a pretty popular phone. :)

— Maria E.

8. Penicillium 04/12/2011 at 3:17 pm #

So cute ! I especially numbers 2 and 7. My grandma has an orange old phone, but one you have to turn the wheel to compose the telephon number.

And I love She and Him, their songs make me so happy !

9. Ella 04/20/2011 at 6:34 pm #