Do you have a fondue pot? Is it collecting dust? Well, we have sweet reason for you to break it out.
Let me introduce to you a lil’ something I stumbled upon via the interwebs for my next cookery conquest — cupcake fondue! Put your cheeses aside and spare your chocolates. This party starter is all about homemade icing and whimsical toppings! Plan a night to bond with your besties by bringing them together for the sake of these bite-sized sweets. The setup is simple, yet the yield is great. What are you waiting for? Let’s fondue it. Now!
From Pint Size Social
3 cups powdered sugar
⅓ cup liquid (orange juice, fruit juice, milk, or water)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1. Make your fave recipe for cupcakes. This could be from scratch (go you!), or if you’re like me, choose a box mix from your local supermarket. Nomfest.
2. To make your fondue: Combine powdered sugar, orange juice, and corn syrup in the fondue pot. Adjust the consistency by eyeballing extra amounts of liquid or powdered sugar until you get a smooth, thick glaze. Amanda from Bake it Pretty suggested using orange juice to give it a citrus flavor, and cheese-like yellow fondue color, which I couldn’t agree with more! Grape juice will add a purple coloring to the fondue, and milk or water will make it easy to add your own choice of coloring.
3. Since the fondue is suitable for dipping as prepared—a flame underneath the pot is optional! Note: my fondue ended up being a little too runny following the directions. Looking back, I probably would have added a bit more powdered sugar or flour to thicken the mixture.
4. Display your toppings in ramekins and cups in a bar-like fashion. The variety of toppings i chose included pistachio bits, dried rose petals, organic coconut flakes, apple cinnamon granola, chocolaty rainbow drops, pink sugar, and sugar pearls.
5. Now, for the best part! Skewer your mini cupcakes from the side, dip the top into the fondue, sprinkle to your heart’s desire, and enjoy!
What party appropriate foods melt your heart? I love a good recommendation!