Tickled Pink Neufchâtel and Strawberry Muffins

Hooray! Strawberries are back in season! With plump, red strawberries abounding in farmers’ markets and bodegas, I started to crave a favorite muffin from back home. There’s a popular family restaurant chain in Pittsburgh that makes these sweet, sparkling sugar-topped strawberry muffins. As pretty as they were tasty, those muffins are much missed now that I’m in California.

So, for my April Muffin of the Month, I whipped up a Neufchâtel and Strawberry Muffin recipe as an homage to those muffins!

Tickled Pink Neufchâtel and Strawberry Muffins
Makes a dozen regular sized muffins.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk or non-dairy substitute
¼ cup applesauce for a vegan option, or 1 egg
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
½ cup of Neufchâtel or cream cheese
Pink sugar sprinkles

1. Preheat your oven at 400°F. Meanwhile, sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
2. Combine milk, oil, and applesauce/egg. Stir in sugar and mix until dissolved.
3. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, stirring gently.
4. While there is still clumps of flour in the mix, fold in strawberries. Work batter lightly until just combined.
5. Pour batter into muffin cups about 2/3 full. Add a teaspoon-sized dollop of Neufchâtel or cream cheese (I used the former) in each cup. Sprinkle sugar on top.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once the muffins pass a toothpick test, they’re done.

These are best eaten at room temperature, so let them cool completely before indulging, no matter how difficult it may be.

What baked goods remind you of home? Have there been any baked good that make you say ‘hooray’ lately?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, ,

15 Responses to Tickled Pink Neufchâtel and Strawberry Muffins

1. Elyse 04/14/2011 at 11:09 am #

Mmm, strawberries and cream cheese?! This sounds awesome! I think I would personally substitute the sprinkles with a bit of raw sugar, though.

2. Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries 04/14/2011 at 11:15 am #

I’ve made strawberry muffins just last week!!! Look Look! http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/2011/04/joycakes.html

When I think of home I think of one thing only… apple pie!!! :D

3. Carrie 04/14/2011 at 11:50 am #

I’m bookmarking these. They look so delicious!

4. Julie C. (ModCloth) 04/14/2011 at 1:00 pm #

I was lucky & grabbed one of these suckers – so tasty! Good job as always, Angela!

My (sorta) hometown baked treat is actually a savory, not a sweet. The bialys at Arizmendi bakery in SF are To. Die. For.

5. Caitlin 04/14/2011 at 2:42 pm #

These sound quite yummy! I want to make them ASAP!

6. Linzy 04/14/2011 at 4:14 pm #

Lucky me I just bought strawberries yesterday. Even luckier, I live in the strawberry capital of California. lol.

I will definitely be trying these!

7. Jaime 04/14/2011 at 4:22 pm #

Thank you, this looks quite delicious. Strawberries are a classic spring fruit. When I think of ‘home’ I think of anything that reminds me of the rare moments when I’ve felt peace and love within my family. Mostly through food. Sweet-wise, Strawberry shortcakes, peach cobbler, pumpkin pie. Philadelphia pretzels, bagels, and croissants. with chocolate in the middle. :)

8. Rachele 04/14/2011 at 5:25 pm #

What restuarant in Pittsburgh makes these? That’s where I’m from and I’d love to go there :D

• Rachele 04/14/2011 at 5:27 pm #

restaurant*** blasted typo!

• Angela (ModCloth) 04/14/2011 at 5:49 pm #

Rachele, it’s actually Eat ‘n’ Park! I’m sure you’ve had their strawberry muffins, or have at least seen them before. I have no idea how they make their strawberry muffins, so this is my own take on them with things I like. Thanks for asking!

9. Mariette 04/18/2011 at 3:45 pm #

I made these muffins with my girlfriend and they were super delicious. First of all, incorporating fresh fruit into muffins is something I believe everyone should do! Also, we used no sugar apple sauce which made the muffins a little less sweet but really brought out the flavour of the strawberries. Thanks Mod Cloth for this wonderful recipe!

10. JohannaPatashnick 04/20/2011 at 11:05 am #

I’ve never had strawberry muffins before! They look so good and would be a great springtime dessert. A few friends and I are planning to go on a picnic soon and I am definitely going to make these. I’m sure they’ll be a big hit!

11. Vitchen Cook 04/21/2011 at 11:27 pm #

Ah, this was absolutely WONDERFUL. Thank you ModCloth for a delicious, berry-fine recipe!
    - KV @vitchencooking

12. tia @ buttercreambarbie 05/12/2011 at 2:42 am #

wowza. they look amazingly moist. were they too moist from the berries? mmmm i must try this.

13. Serena 02/20/2012 at 5:59 pm #

Couldn’t find Neufchâtel at my grocery so I subbed in cream cheese instead. Also, the berries I bought yesterday already looked not-so good so instead I dethawed some frozen. Even with the substitutions I found these muffins delicious! Next time I’ll stick to the recipe completely and see if it makes a different but both myself and my husband were pleased!