An Author’s Best Friend: The Tails Behind the Tales

Amy Tan with her Yorkshire terrier Bubba Zo. Photographed by Jill Krementz.

After celebrating premier pup Winston’s birthday yesterday, we were reminded of how thankful we are to have the ‘paws-itively’ pleasant company of the ModDogs around the office. Well, it turns out, we’re not the only ones who rely on the love and support of a faithful, furry friend to help get us through the workday.

Check out these doggone adorable pics from the 1970s to 1990s of renowned authors and their favorite tail-wagging companions, as captured by photographer Jill Krementz. From Kurt Vonnegut’s Lhasa apso to P.G. Wodehouse’s dachshund, these sweet pets prove that behind many a great writer there’s is a precious pooch.

Kurt Vonnegut and his Lhasa apso, Pumpkin. Photographed by Jill Krementz.

Stephen King with his corgi, Marlowe. Photographed by Jill Krementz.

Donna Tartt with her pug, Pongo. Photographed by Jill Krementz.

P.G. Wodehouse with his dachshund, Jed. Photographed by Jill Krementz.

Heart melting? See the rest of Krementz’s precious photographs here.

Do you have a loyal pet that you think is the top dog or cat’s meow? How does he or she brighten your day?

About ModCloth

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to An Author’s Best Friend: The Tails Behind the Tales

1. Amanda 04/27/2011 at 3:27 pm #

I. LOVE. THIS.

2. meghan @ out of order 04/27/2011 at 6:18 pm #

these are wonderful photos! I long to be a writer-from-home surrounded by a small pack of small dogs <3

3. SarahJayne @ Goldmine Trash 04/27/2011 at 9:10 pm #

Awwww. I want a lap dog!

4. Stacy 04/27/2011 at 10:21 pm #

This is fantastic! Writers and dogs just naturally go together.

5. Jaime 04/27/2011 at 11:38 pm #

I <3 Amy Tam's writings. Haha, this brightened my day, thank you :) Yeah, my cat dill loves to be on the computer keypad – at the same time I am. It's endearing, but also annoying! Just in general, my cats and the strays I feed, inspire me and teach me about my own behavior. IMO, animals were not put on earth for us to eat, but to share the world with. They have pure souls and a unique perspective on things that we can all learn from. Also, to add. The wonderful Helen Gurley Brown, and her siamese Samantha. http://yourcatwasdelicious.tumblr.com/post/2062328736/helen-gurley-brown

6. MB @YarnU iPhoneapp v1.2 04/28/2011 at 8:31 am #

Jill Krementz…now that’s a blast from the past. I was one of her biggest fans…she did a book on ballet dancers, I think. I was completely in awe.

7. Jo 04/28/2011 at 11:39 am #

Love this!!! Stephen King’s Pic is my favorite! I have beautiful black lab named Jackie, She’s the best!!!!

8. Kyley and Ammo the Dachshund 04/28/2011 at 3:51 pm #

Awesome. My dachshund comes to work with me everyday. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

9. Michelle 04/28/2011 at 5:18 pm #

I love dogs like anyone, but too many dogs, modcloth!!!!!!!