Fair-Trade Frocks by Mata Traders

Looking for clothing with a conscience? Then say hello to our newest designer,  Mata Traders! This fair-trade label is run by two best friends in Chicago, who aim to educate, employ, and empower women around the world with their fabulous frocks. How do they do it? By working with women’s cooperatives in India and Nepal, who create these lovely garments and accessories in exchange for fair wages, economic opportunities, and the chance to showcase their centuries-old textile traditions! Each dress is hand block printed with eco-friendly vegetable dyes and designed to flatter your frame, so that you’ll not only look good, but you’ll feed good knowing that your purchase is supporting a good cause.

Create an empowering ensemble with the Writing Recipes Dress, An Enchanted Evening Dress in Sky, Plenty of Fanfare Dress, An Enchanted Evening Dress in Lavender, and the Rays of Sun Necklace!

About Erin

Erin is our resident California girl with a love for everything vintage. She’s the creative force behind Calivintage.com and she’s joined the ModCloth blog team to share her passion for vintage-inspired style, cycling adventures, and silly hats!

8 Responses to Fair-Trade Frocks by Mata Traders

1. katie petix 04/28/2011 at 11:03 am #

Holy smokes, I am super loving the Rays of Sun Necklace! And how cool that they focus on figure flattering silhouettes. Love this!
    xoxo kat

2. Vanessa 04/28/2011 at 11:11 am #

Wow! I love those dresses. Must. Purchase.

3. Tashrin 04/28/2011 at 11:20 am #

This literally warms my heart on a really gloomy day, the dresses are sweet and the cause is amazing. :)
    That’s why I love you so much ModCloth, for finding these fabulous gems.

4. C 04/28/2011 at 2:50 pm #

I AM SO EXCITED! I LOVE FAIR TRADE, AND I LOVE MATA! Aren’t their prints just wonderful? I really like their jewelry too, especially that necklace.

5. Jo - Lost in the Haze 04/28/2011 at 3:52 pm #

What a wonderful idea – I just love fair trade! The dresses are beautiful too. I love the first one with the bow! Adorable!

x

6. katie bee 04/28/2011 at 6:04 pm #

That second dress from the left is calling to me.

7. Victoria / Justice Pirate 04/29/2011 at 4:08 pm #

wonderful!!!

8. Birta 05/01/2011 at 10:59 am #

Man, I’m in love with their stuff.