DIY Tiered Dessert Trays

Do you love decor? Do you love thrifting? Then combine both of your loves – along with the love of food – by crafting an alluring DIY tiered dessert tray. If you’re hosting a party or are invited to a potluck, don’t let your presentation be anything less than the best! (And the cutest.) Present your own DIY tiered dessert tray for any occasion, and both you and your dish will surely be the center of attention.

DIY Tiered Dessert Trays
From SugarDerby.

Basically, this project is the polar opposite of rocket science. If it were any simpler, it simply wouldn’t exist! In the words of Melissa from SugarDerby, “I have lots of plates. I also have lots of small glass ‘things’ that I can’t bear passing up. I have super glue and I have a brain.”

Plates and dishes
Cups or glass bottles
Super glue

Now, here’s what you do…

Whaddya think? Will you plan on adding DIY tiered dessert trays to your weekend to-do list?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

, , , , ,

16 Responses to DIY Tiered Dessert Trays

1. Jana 05/02/2011 at 3:21 pm #

I would like this idea if all of the pieces matched… I don’t know if it is sanitary to spraypaint dishes, but I would like these a glossy white. Then, it looks intentional and less like stacked dishes. Or maybe I’m missing the point…

2. Liz 05/02/2011 at 3:27 pm #

what a cute idea!!! I have tons of single cup/plates that are either left over from college or I picked up at thrift stores! This would be a great use for them!

3. Kim 05/02/2011 at 3:43 pm #

I made these as centerpieces for our wedding (30+ of them)!!! All mismatched plates with clear candlestick holders as the dividers. I’m now selling them if anyone is interested… reply with your email and I’ll get pictures to you. = )

4. Shannon 05/02/2011 at 4:47 pm #

I made something very similar for the dessert table at my wedding. They were a huge hit. I never thought of using cups (we used candle stick holders), but it’s a great idea!

5. Susan 05/02/2011 at 9:49 pm #

Super super super cute cute cute!!!! This combines three of my favorite things: DIY, thrift stores, and, of course, dessert!

6. Chen 05/02/2011 at 10:06 pm #

so lovely and creative!!

quick question about the metal tray in the back. I just sold one in my vintage shop on etsy the other day and was totally curious to know if this is where it ended up :D

7. Kate (ModCloth) 05/03/2011 at 2:03 pm #

So cute! Love the mismatched plates. But you could always find matching plates and cups – I bet an all-glass dessert tray would look lovely.

8. Julie (ModCloth) 05/03/2011 at 7:26 pm #

@Chen Hey! The metal tray was from my dad’s friend’s mother, haha. It’s an awesome piece! Sounds like you have an awesome Etsy shop, too. :)

9. Chen 05/03/2011 at 10:51 pm #

nice @Julie ! It is a cool piece. Especially the little marbles that keep it spinning on the bottom. The one I sold was from my husband’s grandmother :D

My main shop is botodesigns and my vintage shop is chenshouk .. have a lot of fun finds from my husbands grandparents who were getting rid of tons of cool stuff when they moved!

10. Kaleigh 05/03/2011 at 11:04 pm #

I’m planning to throw a Mad Hatter Un-Birthday Tea for my sister and I (two year and only four days apart) this June… these will be PERFECT for all the tiny cupcakes, and in keeping with the hodge-podge table settings! YAY!

11. Natasha (ModCloth) 05/05/2011 at 5:22 pm #

These are adorable!

12. Commander Keen 05/05/2011 at 5:27 pm #

naaaw now I’m totaly regreting leaving the supercute pink flower-plates to charity cause i never used them -____- they wuld have been perfect for this!

13. Darlene 05/05/2011 at 7:55 pm #

I love these. I find old glass dishes, plates, vases etc. at yard sales and thrift stores and make totems, birdbaths, and glass flowers for outside decor.

14. Heather 05/06/2011 at 11:20 am #

I like this idea! It’s very cute. May have to add it to the list of my weekend projects… :)

15. SugarDerby 05/08/2011 at 5:16 pm #

Eeeeeek! I love to see my stuff on here! I’m a huge fan Julie…. and I have a brain. Love that quote :)

16. SugarDerby 05/08/2011 at 5:17 pm #

Oh and… your stuff trays are adorable. A-dor-able!!!!!