Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins for Mother’s Day

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

In celebration of Mother’s Day, this month’s muffin comes from the kitchen of my very own mom! When I asked my mother for her favorite muffin recipe, she recommend this sweet muffin that combines two of her favorite things, chocolate and cherries!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe from my mother. Makes about a dozen regular sized muffins, or two dozen mini muffins.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
½ cup canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup of maraschino cherries, halved

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together eggs, oil, vanilla extract and sugar.
4. Alternate adding half of the dry mixture and half of the milk to the wet mixture. Gently stir until just mixed. Some flour may remain. Do not overmix.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
6. Fill greased muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter.
7. Bake for 15 minutes for mini muffins, and 20-25 minutes for medium muffins.
8. If desired, my mom advises making a sweet icing with the maraschino syrup, like that on the larger muffin pictured above. Just take about 2-3 tablespoons of the syrup and stir in powder sugar until you get a smooth, pink glaze. Spoon the icing over the muffins, or dip them in.

Happy Mother’s Day!

, , , , ,

10 Responses to Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins for Mother’s Day

1. Kat 05/05/2011 at 1:45 pm #

Ooo I love cherries and chocolate, I’m going to have to give these a shot! Except I won’t be using maraschino cherries…they’ve had all the flavor bleached out of them and replaced with dyes :(
    Fresh, pie, or even dried cherries would have better flavor

2. Caitlin 05/05/2011 at 10:53 pm #

Yum these sound really good! I love chocolate chip muffins and that glaze seems really easy.

3. Vitchen Cook 05/08/2011 at 12:17 am #

Yum! Can’t wait to try these!
    I wonder at what temperature you preheated the oven at though… 350 or 400 degrees?

• Kat 05/10/2011 at 1:21 am #

step 6 says 350 ^^

4. Sarah 05/08/2011 at 4:45 pm #

I just made these for mother’s day, and they were fantastic! We cooked our at 375. However, they were a little dark, so I would say cook em at 350?

5. lulu 05/08/2011 at 8:02 pm #

no temperature?

6. Jessica 05/09/2011 at 12:28 am #

I made these for my mom on Mother’s Day and they turned out fantastic! They were very dense and moist and addictive. I’ll definitely be trying more of your recipes. Thank you, Modcloth!

7. Samantha 05/16/2011 at 11:25 am #

I just made your muffin recipe this past weekend for a friend get-together and they were delicious. However, I noticed you list vanilla extract and milk in the ingredients but don’t say in the directions when or where to add them. Can you clarify that in your directions please? Thanks.

• Angela (ModCloth) 05/16/2011 at 1:15 pm #

Hi Samantha! Sorry for the confusion. Add the vanilla in with the eggs, oil, and sugar. Once that’s mixed add part of the milk, part of the flour, mix, then the rest of the milk and the rest of the flour. I will clarify the recipe.

Thanks, and I’m glad that your muffins turned out delicious!