A DIY Fascination with Fascinators

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Knowing you, you’ll want to stand out, if even a little bit, at the next wedding you attend. One easy way to do this? Construct your own fascinator!

Armed with a needle and thread, glue gun, and trip to my local craft store, I fashioned 5 fabulous DIY fascinators that work wonderfully – if I do say so myself – for brides and guests alike.

Wonderland Whims DIY Fascinator (shown at top)

• Two-tiered lace trim
  • Beaded branch
  • Headband
  • Needle and thread
  • Glue gun

First cut three 7-inch lengths of trim, and one 12-inch length of trim. Then, make 0.5-inch stitches along the base of each piece of trim, pulling the thread gently taut at the end to make puckered ‘clamshells’ (the shorter pieces) and a ruffled circle (the longer piece). Since my headband didn’t have much fabric to sew onto, I then went wild with my glue gun. I layered two of the lace ‘clamshells’ down one side of the headband, glued and sewed on the branch (for extra strength!), and layered the final clamshell and puckered circle atop the branch’s exposed bottom. Voila!

Enchanted Evening DIY Fascinator

• Artificial iris
  • Hair comb
  • Glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Wire cutters

This one is easy peasy. Trim the flower’s stem with wire cutters, bend the flower to the comb’s shape, and show it some glue gun love. Then, layer leaves you’ve cut out over top of the stem.

Sweet Disposition DIY Headband

• Shells
  • Fake flowers
  • Eyelet flounce
  • Hair comb
  • Needle and thread
  • Glue gun
  • Scissors

Digging in the glorious box of trim my aunt once gave me for my birthday, I came across this embroidered eyelet flounce. I cut two lengths of it, one as long as two combs, the other as long as one comb. Then, I folded in the ends of each piece so that they met at their respective middle, and sewed the tops together. Layering the narrow bit on top of the wider bit, I sewed these on to the comb. Then, I used the glue gun to layer on the shells and flowers.

In Full Bloom DIY Fascinator

• Fake flowers
  • Hair comb
  • Glue gun
  • Scissors

These light leaves and flowers lend themselves well to some glue-gun action. Simply trim the stems and arrange the flowers on the comb in a way that pleases your eye!

Claire de Lune DIY Fascinator

• Glittery feathers
  • Fake leaves
  • Fun trim
  • Hair comb
  • Needle and thread
  • Glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Needle-nose Pliers

These feathers are probably the best thing ever, and they lent themselves really well to a haute couture-style piece. At first, I tried just sewing them on to the comb, but their length made them quite top-heavy, so I was forced to break out the glue gun to help tack them in place. Once the feathers were secured, I curled their wire ends with needle-nose pliers. Then, I layered on some fake leaves and fun trim.

Which fascinator do you fancy the most? Have you ever crafted a fascinator before?

, , , , ,

16 Responses to A DIY Fascination with Fascinators

1. Courtney 05/26/2011 at 1:38 pm #

This series has been interesting! I wouldn’t wear any of these myself, but some of them are cute.

2. eyesofcuriosity 05/26/2011 at 1:48 pm #

This came out almost two weeks late! But that’s ok, cause I have another wedding in the near future and have already passed this off to the bride to be.

3. C 05/26/2011 at 2:41 pm #

I really like this post. I think the flowered ones are great for spring and summer weddings, and I can use these basics to figure out how to make my own. Too bad I don’t have any spare time.

4. Lauren 05/26/2011 at 4:14 pm #

Adorable…..I just wish Modcloth would have done this wedding series about 3 weeks ago, because I just got married May 10th!!

5. Allie (ModCloth) 05/26/2011 at 4:36 pm #

Blog Team – You have outdone yourselves! These are gorgeous :)

6. Lauren (ModCloth) 05/26/2011 at 5:26 pm #

How awesome are those silver, sparkly feathers in the Claire de Lune?! Rock on, Hannah + ModBloggers!

7. Jennifer 05/27/2011 at 1:33 am #

You’re really creative. Makes me want to create my own!

• Hannah (ModCloth) 05/27/2011 at 12:39 pm #

Thanks! You should give it a go . . . I bet you’ll come up with something rad. :-)

8. Akira 05/27/2011 at 9:01 am #

beautiful! I’ll definitely being trying my hand at one (or all!) of these!
    Also I hope as part of this Wed guide a stylebook of dresses is done for the alternative bride. *crosses fingers*

9. Maria 05/27/2011 at 11:01 am #

The “In Full Bloom DIY Fascinator” is absolutely darling! Well, they all are just gorgeous. I’m gonna have to try making one of these sometime really soon. :) Awesome post! Thank you so much!

xo Maria Elyse

10. Naomi 05/27/2011 at 11:32 am #

I love the first one!

11. Jennifer 05/27/2011 at 11:36 am #

I love a good DIY dose! The floral Enchanted Evening and In Full Bloom fascinator are my favs. Great weekend project thanks.

12. Joyce Cee 05/28/2011 at 12:04 am #

I’m going to have to make one in black with white polkadots for the NR’s wedding

13. Sabina 05/29/2011 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial. I’m glad to see fascinators are finally having a moment. I wore a homemade fascinator to my own wedding, but that was over seven years ago and I think I’m the only person I know that went that route instead of a veil then.

14. Kat 05/29/2011 at 10:13 pm #

I can’t ever see myself wearing any type of fascinator, they seem way too costumey to me, but I do love the idea of them for character design (I’m an illustrator/comic creator so characters are one of my life bloods) and these are all pretty lovely

15. Jemma Loveridge - Fascinators 06/03/2011 at 3:27 am #

Wedding fascinators are such fun to make. Check out my feathers that I swirl and twirl and sew onto combs and head bands. Also fun is creating wedding fascinators out of sinamay, which cut on the bias does exactly what you want!