Exploring Royal Oak with Lulu Letty

It’s the first Friday of the month, and you know what that means… it’s time for another Travel Bug trip! To start off our summer, we asked blogger Maria of Lulu Letty to give us a tour of her hometown of Royal OakMichigan, before she left for her new home of St. Paul, Minnesota with her husband (he just got a new job there!) and their two pups. Maria took a break from moving, blogging, and running her Etsy shops to show us around this culture-packed Detroit suburb.

What do you wear for a trip through Royal Oak? Maria chose the Under the Willow Dress, Field of Gleams Bag, Shift Into Neutral Heel, and Sittin’ Pretty Necklace.

1. Lost and Found Vintage. “One of my favorite shops; [it] has such a great selection of quality, reasonably priced vintage pieces. The layout is clean and organized, never making you feel overwhelmed or confused about what section you’re browsing. Plus, the friendly staff is always there to help you hunt down what you’re looking for.”

2. UHF Records. “Conveniently located next to Lost and Found Vintage, it’s easy to pop in after getting your clothing fix. There’s no difficulty in finding any genre or band.”

3. Gusoline Alley. “By far, one of the best dive bars I’ve ever found. It stays true to Michigan, with all the Motor City paraphernalia, and has an awesome jukebox. Not to mention that Patrick, the head bartender, has a perfect greaser look and sideburns that rival Elvis’.”

4. Detroit Zoo (which is actually located in Royal Oak!). “I grew up less than a mile away [from the zoo]. My favorites will always be the butterfly and bird house. Nothing is more magical than walking amongst the huge butterflies that land on you at random.”

5.  Astoria Pastry Shop. “First opened in 1971, in the Greektown district of Detroit. When the Royal Oak location opened, I couldn’t have been happier! My family would always stop by the original location and order the most perfect meringues.”

6. Monterrey Cantina. “As a kid, I used to try to convince my parents to take me here at least once a week. I have a mild obsession with Mexican food, and Monterrey’s is my favorite in town.”

Thanks for the tour, Maria! If you’ve ever been to Royal Oak, what would you add?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

About ModCloth

, ,

15 Responses to Exploring Royal Oak with Lulu Letty

1. Rosaspina Vintage 06/03/2011 at 3:36 pm #

Love, love, love this tour feature!
    It’s great to discover new places, especially when they’re far from where you live and look so different!
    Ale
    x

2. Sara 06/03/2011 at 5:41 pm #

I live about a half an hour away from royal oak and it’s one of my favorite places to visit in the summer. My personal favorites, along with Lost and Found, and UHF records, are Incognito, an edgy (but expensive) boutique downtown, and Scout, another boutique-y shop that sells vintage-y housewares and coffee table books (also expensive!) And I always stop in at the Goldfish Tea Company for absolutely delicious tea.

3. Meghan Spork 06/03/2011 at 8:20 pm #

I second Goldfish tea. And there is a great Salvation Army thrift store – amazing vintage. As well as a store called Paris with some of the most beautiful vintage dresses EVER.

4. Stephanie 06/04/2011 at 9:04 am #

The Inn Season Cafe! Vegan/vegatarian/organic/locally grown and delicious. And Haberman Fabrics is filled with awesome fabric, if you like to sew.

5. taylor kitto 06/04/2011 at 6:12 pm #

Wow I love this! Its always fun seeing other towns. She’s always lovely.

The Little Deer

6. Stephanie 06/04/2011 at 9:52 pm #

I used to live 10 minutes away from Royal Oak. I just discovered this site today, and because Royal Oak was the first thing to pop up, I knew this had to be a great site. I love that city with all of my heart, and I’m so home sick. It’s one of the few wonderful things in the Detroit-Metro. Living in the Atlanta doesn’t have as many cute stores like Downtown Royal Oak! I miss the zoo the most! I miss Cafe Habana(Havana?) that was across from a vintage shoppe.

7. deer donna 06/04/2011 at 11:36 pm #

oh i love lulu letty, she is so lovely and pretty. it is my dream to one day have a dress named after deer donna!! :D

8. Jessica 06/05/2011 at 2:11 am #

Aah! I always love to stumble on things here that are local to me. It’s a nice change of pace from drooling over all the great vintage across the country. My already planned Detroit Zoo trip this week is going to have to include some downtown cruising too now I think.

9. Otis_Hoser 06/05/2011 at 8:47 pm #

Totally cool you did something in Michigan! Incognito is my favorite place to shop.

10. Addie 06/05/2011 at 11:19 pm #

This is such an amazing blog entry, I loved reading it and looking through all the beautiful photos. :)

xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

11. Kelly 06/07/2011 at 12:13 am #

Love Lulu Letty … great post!

12. Kaleigh 06/08/2011 at 10:48 am #

This is so exciting! I lived in Ann Arbor for school but I’m moving back to Saline in August for the time I’ll be getting my MA at Wayne State… I will definitely be checking out ALL these places! Thank you!

13. Kaleigh 06/08/2011 at 10:50 am #

OH MY LORD @ Stephanie… I work for Cafe Habana/Blue Tractor! There’s locations in Royal Oak, Ann Arbor and Traverse City, and Royal Oak is the only one I haven’t been to (or, for that matter, worked at). What a small world!

14. Célèste 08/20/2012 at 2:53 pm #

I would love to do this feature if you ever want a tour of Cincinnati. My blog is fashionisevolution.blogspot.com – contact: fashionisevolution@gmail.com

• Laura (ModCloth) 08/20/2012 at 5:12 pm #

Thanks for the interest, Célèste! I’ll pass your note along!