Fashion in Film: Quinn Morgendorffer

“Just because people are cliquey and snotty is no reason not to like them.” Whether she’s dishing out advice on who to hang out with or sharing secrets on how to style platform jellies, Quinn Morgendorffer, Vice President of the Fashion Club and avid reader of Waif magazine, rarely steers a gal in the wrong direction. In this edition of Fashion in Film, we’ll explore how Quinn, younger sister to the insufferable Daria, trailblazed her way into becoming a posh pop icon.

Debuting in 1997, the MTV series Daria was noted by fans and critics alike for its dry wit, quirky characters, and its championing of an outsider but forget that! All of that pales in comparison to the wisdom dished out by Quinn, Daria’s popular younger sister, in each episode.

Since her first day at Lawndale High, Quinn was a hit with the cool kids and quickly rose to the highly coveted position of Vice President of the Fashion Club. Despite the fact that Daria was constantly trying to ruin Quinn’s life by not doing her sister’s homework and ratting her out to their parents, Quinn managed to maintain her glamour and sophistication no matter the situation. Not only did Quinn master her own flawless look each day, but she was always the first to help those less fortunate in the fashion department by offering her styling services.

From its quintessential 90′s trends to its dynamic credits, which feature various characters from the show dressed in often outlandish garb, it’s pretty obvious why we’re head over heels for Quinn (OK, maybe Daria, too!).

Is there an animated character whose fashion sense you can’t get enough of?

sarah

About Sarah

Who would have thought the little girl in the oversized Goofy T-shirt would grow up to work in fashion? Definitely not young Sarah; she was too busy singing her heart out to Whitney Houston. Today, her eclectic fashion tastes lean toward purses large enough to stash her latest read, way too high of a heel, and the occasional vintage baseball tee.

, , ,

18 Responses to Fashion in Film: Quinn Morgendorffer

1. Michelle of The Feather Den 06/09/2011 at 5:24 pm #

I seriously enjoyed this post. As for animated characters whose dress sense I loved, I always had a soft spot for Tish from The Weekenders, haha.

2. Pam 06/09/2011 at 6:23 pm #

I love this post! I’ve been watching Daria episodes on Logo Channel. Well I really like the simple outfits on Hey Arnold and Doug. I find Vanessa Davis comics along with Make Me A Women very inspiring.

3. Sophi 06/09/2011 at 8:20 pm #

One of my favorite Daria moments was when Quinn totally called out Daria’s crush on Trent after Daria changed out of her usual get-up and into a black t-shirt and jeans. I loved how the writers occasionally included little details like that to show that Quinn really does have a brain under that perfectly bouncy hair.

4. Susan (ModCloth) 06/09/2011 at 8:24 pm #

@Pam yes! Patti Mayonnaise is amazing – gotta love those polka dots :)

5. meghan @ out of order 06/10/2011 at 2:12 am #

so fun! “they’re not stretch pants, they’re leggings.” Happily bloggers now all belong to the fashion club! I always liked Olive Oyl’s granny chic ;)

6. Jen 06/10/2011 at 9:15 am #

Love this post! I have the series on DVD and was just watching a Quinn-centered episode the other day. “My pores are cute, my pores are tiny! YOU’RE FIRED!” Hahaha fabulous show.

I also loved Rhonda’s style from “Hey Arnold”! :o)

7. C 06/10/2011 at 10:05 am #

Even sarcastic this post is painful.

• Em 06/10/2011 at 10:11 am #

@C, Oh thank you so much, I completely agree. This post makes me want to stop reading the ModCloth blog. As a huge fan of Daria since it actually used to be broadcast on MTV, I find this post to be incredibly shallow and unintelligent. Come on, ModCloth! We are supposed to be fashionable AND smart ladies, and this just hurts.

• Amanda 06/10/2011 at 11:43 pm #

that was what I was thinking…

• Amanda 06/15/2011 at 9:26 am #

I actually found it nostalgic-sweet to remember a show I used to watch in High School- especially since my reunion is in a couple months. Not to mention, it’s nice to show some respect for a genre of well-rounded tv animation that no one takes the time to create any more.

Did you forget to bring your heart with you to work today? Oops.

8. Linzy 06/10/2011 at 1:12 pm #

Haha! Oh my goodness I love Daria! One of my favorite shows.

Little Acorns

9. Jo 06/10/2011 at 1:44 pm #

Love the retro clothes on Archer….. that is, when the characters are wearing clothes vs assassinating people in their underwear :)

10. Candice 06/11/2011 at 7:49 pm #

Love this! I used to watch Daria all the time, and while she was always my favourite, I have to admit Quinn could be cute sometimes.

11. Lauren 06/13/2011 at 2:10 pm #

I loved Jane Lane’s cool threads too.
    I always wanted to dress like Jem.
    She was truly outrageous.

• Kat 06/13/2011 at 11:38 pm #

Truly, truly outrageous
      (I love Jem, that show is just too fun)

12. Heather 06/13/2011 at 4:52 pm #

I always thought Jane had way better fashion sense than Quinn. I often wondered, even in the late 90s, how Quinn could be such a fashionista in that smiley face t-shirt!

13. Kat 06/13/2011 at 11:44 pm #

Never really watched Daria and watching it now pains me so very much, haha. That whole ‘everyone else is horribly stupid and pointless’ high school attitude is really obnoxious and stereotypical XD

As far as cute clothes my favorite ‘cartoon’ outfits come from the manga Cardcaptor Sakura. As far as costumes go, they were original, well thought out, and adorable.

14. Nina 06/15/2011 at 6:15 pm #

Ahh Daria! What a blast from the past. I remember they did a musical episode that I loved, hah hah!