A Terrific Time for Terrariums

We’ve had so much fun living vicariously through the flora of “Everyday Exotic” that we wanted to keep a piece of it on our desktops and shelves. Here, Julie and I show you how to make a little green world of your own. If you like lush, humidity loving lands, then click on the “Mossy” button in the video. If you want more of our menswear-inspired vertical gardens, click on the “Desert” button above for succulent terrariums.

For these terrariums, you’ll need:

• Glass containers, with lids for mossy, without for desert
  • Small pebbles, decorative rock, or fish tank substrate
  • Activated charcoal (found at most garden stores)
  • Potting soil, regular for mossy, cactus mix for desert
  • Plants of your choosing like the Polka Dot plant for mossy and succulents for desert
  • Decorative knickknacks and toys

Don’t have a green thumb? Have no fear! Anyone can make and care for terrariums!

We’d love to see what creations you come up with. Be sure to post an image of your DIY terrarium to our Facebook page, or tweet it at us @ModCloth!

What are other summer DIY projects are you doing?

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to A Terrific Time for Terrariums

1. Andrea 06/17/2011 at 3:48 pm #

Hello darling Modcloth!

How does someone become the blogger of the month?

Thanks!
    Andrea

• Turi (ModCloth) 06/17/2011 at 5:25 pm #

Hi, Andrea! You can always send us suggestions for Blogger of the Moment to bloggerofthemoment@modcloth.com. We select bloggers that truly inspire us with their creativity, style, personality, and photography. We’re always excited to hear about new blogs! Thanks! Turi

2. Angelica 06/17/2011 at 3:55 pm #

I just finished my terrarium project, the first of many, on Monday! I love it.

3. Amanda 06/17/2011 at 4:00 pm #

Thank you for this! I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted to know how to make a terrarium….The biggest question for me, though, is what plants would do well and also, where do you get them???

4. Angela (ModCloth) 06/17/2011 at 5:05 pm #

Amanda, we purchased our plants at a few different plant stores. I actually asked the person working at one of the stores, and he geared me toward the Polka Dot Plants (aka, Freckle Face sometimes), and low growing mosses. Look for reindeer moss, sheet moss, or this soft, leafy one called Baby’s tears. If the store you’re at doesn’t know much about terrariums, then as for “humidity loving” plants.

For a “desert” terrarium, any small succulent plant works!

Thanks!

5. Shayla 06/17/2011 at 5:44 pm #

Making your own terrarium is a lot of fun. If you go to Hobby Lobby they have some supplies that can help you get started. The best thing I like to add in mine is moss! It really makes your terrarium look magical!

6. Sam 06/21/2011 at 9:41 pm #

I am very excited to make a terrarium as soon as I gather all of the supplies! I live in a dorm room, and it’s difficult to care for plants, however not having them can just be a downer… So I very much look forward to being able to have one! I never would have thought of this, Thanks!

7. Maddie 08/29/2011 at 2:59 pm #

It was so fun making the terrariums! It was a great project and i made all of\ mine with about two dollars each! Thank you for a great time!

8. MAddie 02/17/2012 at 6:30 pm #

Hi! I was wondering How you water the succulent terrarium?… I don’t have a green thumb at all :P