What Becomes of the Broken Dishes?

Image via RWA Press on Flickr

When I studied abroad in France, I occasionally walked by a Greek restaurant where the maitre d’ would stand in front of the eatery and hurl dishes to the ground, yelling jovially as they burst into pieces. I knew this was a tradition of some sort, but it always left me puzzled; why break perfectly good dishes? Upon finding Chilean artist Livia Marin’s “Broken Things” series the other day, I had to reassess — maybe that guy was on to something. He was, after all, halfway to Ms. Marin’s intricately amazing art, which features broken dishware whose patterns surrealistically spill out and over their jagged edges.

Image via RWA Press on Flickr

Image via Livia Marin

Image via Livia Marin

Do you have any good ideas for upcycling old dishes?

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

, , ,

8 Responses to What Becomes of the Broken Dishes?

1. Danielle 06/23/2011 at 10:35 am #

Neat!
    When I break a dish, I usually just bust it up even more and use it for drainage when I’m potting my plants.

2. Amanda 06/23/2011 at 3:28 pm #

This is the coolest thing I have ever seen. How does she do it????

3. Jo - Lost in the Haze 06/23/2011 at 7:07 pm #

I love pretty old dishes made into mosaic! In fact, I am pretty much obsessed with mosaic nonstop! In fact, there is an amaaazing place in New Zealand about an hour away from where I live called Akaroa. There is an artist who makes literally anything into mosaic! This is the website: http://www.thegiantshouse.co.nz/default.asp?page=garden Possibly a good idea for smashed dishes (particularly good for all of us who keep losing dishes to the earthquakes! Eek!)

• Hannah 06/24/2011 at 12:02 pm #

I want to go there! So rad.

4. Fiona (ModCloth) 06/24/2011 at 12:09 pm #

This is FASCINATING! The contrast between the jagged edges and the “melting” look is surreal.

5. Elisha Davidson 06/24/2011 at 2:29 pm #

Awesome picture! So creative!

6. Brielle 06/26/2011 at 5:03 pm #

Woah…these are so nifty!

7. Lauren Helen 07/13/2011 at 11:26 pm #

How beautiful and unique!