After a Long Hiatus, Bicycle Highways Are Rolling into Town

Image via Adventure Cycling Association.

Two months back, I decided to undertake what I termed ‘an epic adventure': biking from my sister’s dorm in Palo Alto back to my apartment in San Francisco. So one overcast day, I set out, just me and my two wheels, to make the 30-mile trek. One road closure, a few raindrops, and a bag of trail mix later, I made it home, enthused by the journey and itching to do more.

So, I was thrilled to hear from GOOD that the U.S. is making big strides for us pedaling people with an in-the-works bicycle highway system! Apparently, back in the early ’80s, the U.S. had started constructing a nation-spanning system of bike routes. But, they never got very far. Now, they’re restarting the endeavor and have detailed plans. How cool is that?

Do you bike? Are you as excited as I am to give one of these future routes a test-cruise?

6 Responses to After a Long Hiatus, Bicycle Highways Are Rolling into Town

1. anastasia 06/24/2011 at 12:48 pm #

I DO not like how isolated san antonio is. Why must we go either east or west?

That selfish gripe aside this is AWESOME, i need to get back up on my bike soon.

2. Molly 06/24/2011 at 12:55 pm #

If you’re itching to do more cross-country bike travel and want to support a great cause, check out Bike & Build, a non-profit which organizes cross country cycling trips to raise money and awareness for affordable housing. They’ve got 8 cross-country routes, plus an east-coast route as well. Hopefully the new bicycle highways will provide safer, more practical routes in the future!

3. Linzy 06/24/2011 at 3:07 pm #

This is pretty cool. My brothers would love this too. They are serious Bay area bike nerds. They travel around the world doing races and bike polo tourneys. I’ll have to show it to them.

Little Acorns

4. Ryan 06/24/2011 at 3:27 pm #

We have a National Cycle Network in the UK. Granted the UK is tiny compared to the US, but it is brilliant.

5. Loopy 06/24/2011 at 4:06 pm #

This is VERY exciting! Especially since from Baltmore, all we have are death defying highways to ride on. (and the C&O canal). This would def get me outside more! Awesome!

6. Erin 06/24/2011 at 4:49 pm #

That is so exciting! I ride my bike all the time around my small town, and sometimes I ride with my friends. This would be such a fun thing to do!