The Sound of Violens

Photo by Tom Hines. Image via Violens

When I came across Brooklyn-based indie band Violens, I assumed I was going to hear, well, violins! But after testing out their tunes, my attention was instead caught by melodic guitars, bass, percussion, and synth-based New Wave vocal harmonies.

The trio, whose influences span from Buddy Holly to black metal, have opened for a few of my personal favorites, including MGMT, Deerhunter, and Grizzly Bear. If you like what you hear, take a trip to their Bandcamp page, where you’ll find one of my other faves, “When to Let Go”, in addition to their own picks for a free mixtape. When I listen to Violens, I hear summer — upbeat, dreamy, laid-back — down to a ‘V.’

Have you stumbled upon a new favorite artist? I’d love to hear what sounds are pulling at your heartstrings!

About Julianne

Julie Since graduating from the "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too," Julie's aptness for the written word picked up steam like a runaway train. Her journey thus far has been fueled by an adventurous heart, creative mind, and love of breakfast, baking, and bacon. She often makes social situations more awkward than they need to be and loves the word "scrumtrulescent!"

7 Responses to The Sound of Violens

1. Lauren Helen 06/28/2011 at 1:20 pm #

Bear Hands has been my recent love… You know those bands that you download onto your iPod but don’t hear until months afterwards? That was them, but now I’m obsessed. ‘What a Drag’ and ‘Blood and Treasure’ are super catchy!
    Also, thrifting I found an old Frankie Avalon (ike from those Frankie and Annette beach party movies) cassette and fell in love with ‘All of Everything’.

2. Megan 06/28/2011 at 3:00 pm #

Oh man, this is awesome! I’ll definitely be checking out more of these guys.

3. Charlotte 06/28/2011 at 3:48 pm #

My absolute favourite new band are a canadian rock group called Cherry Suede (http://cherrysuede.com) I actually discovered them via an advert on Facebook. They’re Bon Jovi-esque.

4. shelby petersen 06/28/2011 at 3:48 pm #

I’m going to have to add these guys to my ipod asap!

5. Stephanie 06/28/2011 at 5:04 pm #

I can’t help listening to anything else but Nana Grizol recently. My best friend just moved away and they’re his favorite band, so I can’t really bring myself to listen to anything else. They’re wonderful!

6. serenity 06/29/2011 at 12:17 pm #

I recently stumbled across Imaginary Cities on youtube. They are a Canadian indie band and they are amazing.

7. Elzinore 06/30/2011 at 2:54 am #

Angel Olsen! She’s nearly unheard of (no twitter or facebook page!) but her dreamy vocals just tug at my heart.
    I especially love her “some Things Cosmic” off of the album Strange Cacti. You can find her on iTunes.

<3 please-give her a listen!!!