Today’s Special: Dishing It Out

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Casserole dishes by Etsy seller GallivantingGirls, sunflower dish by Flickr user Luvinthemommyhood, vintage pink dish by Etsy seller MakingItHomeNY, and butterfly gold dish by Etsy seller Mituvintage

Upon seeing these colorful dishes, you might be saying, “Oh! My grandma had a casserole dish just like that! Where could it be now?” (And, if you’re like me, now feel compelled to fill every cabinet in your kitchen with them.)

The kitschy kitchenware above is just a sampling of what the Pyrex company has been putting forth since the early 20th century. Durable, affordable, and memorable, these colorful casserole dishes are collected by many a vintage lover. They’re available on Etsy, Ebay, and, if you’re lucky, your local thrift store. For a slightly modern twist on these culinary classics, check out our Gourmet Gardens Container Set.

What does one do with these dishes besides gaze at them? Bake casseroles in them, of course! Check out this yummy Summer Squash Casserole recipe, or, if you’re feeling adventurous, this 1955 recipe for Ham Casserole that includes ham, sweet potatoes, pineapples, and marshmallows.

Do you collect vintage kitchen wares or decor? Tell us about it!

10 Responses to Today’s Special: Dishing It Out

1. Caryn 06/29/2011 at 1:29 pm #

Ha! i specifically asked for my grandmother’s sets of these and use them every day! I have the yellow casserole ones in a couple sizes, a green one and a small blue one. But my favorite is the yellow set of nesting bowls. Those are a must-have in my kitchen!

2. Shandelle 06/29/2011 at 1:32 pm #

My mom and grandmother have a million of these types of dishes. They seem to cook everything perfectly along with look super cute!

3. Julie C (ModCloth) 06/29/2011 at 4:50 pm #

I have a lot of old Pyrex – love it!

4. kristina@beancakes 06/29/2011 at 9:28 pm #

LOVE, love these vintage pieces! i am an avid collector of jadeite fireking, and many other kinds of vintage ware! i just came across modcloth’s blog ~ i love it, i’ve always loved modcloth’s clothing!
    xx ~ kristina

5. Jessica M. 06/30/2011 at 9:25 am #

a lot of pieces like those still reside at the family cottage, they make me smile everytime I see them.

6. casey 06/30/2011 at 2:44 pm #

yes! I have tons of the amish butterprint pyrex, I use it every day! (the turquoise and white print you pictured!) it was the whole inspiration for my red and turquoise kitchen! and I have random other non-coordinating pieces too

7. Marissa 07/06/2011 at 12:11 am #

I have the small white containers with the turquoise rooster on them, they’re adorable and I’m on the hunt for more casserole dishes and bowls by Pyrex, they spruce up my kitchen with such darling designs!

8. Steph 07/06/2011 at 12:23 am #

I haven’t collected vintage dishware up until now, but I’m ready to start!

9. Tracy 07/06/2011 at 12:50 am #

Gah! Why did they have to put marshmellows in everything in the 50s?! So funny.

10. Pinky 07/06/2011 at 12:33 pm #

LOVE Pyrex! I cherish the set from my grandma and have added to it from antique store finds. I am also a fan of the corning dishes with flower patterns as well. Excellent quality kitchen essentials with classic appeal.