Page Turners: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Fashions come and go, sparkle and fade, and so do hairstyles the above ‘do is no exception. After recently cycling through magazine tears from my college days, I happened upon this picture-perfect example of pastel-layered locks from the September 2004 issue of W. Seven years later, this spread hair and styling remains timeless to me.

Do you have a magazine tear that you’ve held on to? What does it depict and when was it from?

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

10 Responses to Page Turners: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

1. eyesofcuriosity 06/30/2011 at 1:05 pm #

They are in no way fashion related, but I once found an old record store that sold old Rolling Stone, Life, Time, and other various magazines for a dollar. I picked up a bunch. My prize picks are a Life magazine with the first interview with Paul McCartney and a copy of the newspaper from the day they announce Lennon’s funeral services. :)

My Paw Paw also saved tons of National Geographics from the early 1950s and 1960s, I got those after he passed away. My friends and I love looking over them and pulling fashion tips from the advertisements.

• eyesofcuriosity 06/30/2011 at 1:07 pm #

*first interview with Paul McCartney post the Beatles break up.

2. Laura (ModCloth) 06/30/2011 at 1:36 pm #

I absolutely love these photos! Great save, Julie!

One of my favorite tears is not really related to fashion, either, and it’s very random, but I have a Nike ad from around 2004-2005 that shows Venus Williams’ silhouette – super muscular and strong. I pull it out occasionally when I need a little reminder about what ‘beauty’ means to me. :)

3. shelby petersen 06/30/2011 at 2:29 pm #

i’ve always wanted to dye my hair! but im a ginger, so i don’t think the pastels would go as well!

4. Katie 07/01/2011 at 6:37 pm #

I wish I could do that with my hair. It is so daring – but she still looks feminine. I have magazine cut-outs of vintage-inspired bikinis I wish I could afford to get.

5. Lily 07/01/2011 at 7:34 pm #

The hair reminds me of a more recent article on another blog where colored powder (eyeshadow!) can be used to achieve this look for a day! I haven’t tried it yet but thanks for reminding that I should so soon! :)

6. Elisha 07/03/2011 at 12:16 pm #

I have that exact magazine cutout from the 2004 W shoot taped to the back of my bedroom door at my parents house! It always inspired me to mix classy style with alternative style. This is still my style today!

7. Margherita 07/05/2011 at 7:49 am #

Twiggy Vogue 1967, vintage issue
    Kate Moss 1996, vintage issue

8. Sunita 07/07/2011 at 10:42 am #

*Sigh* The model with the pink hair looks so pretty. Two summers ago, my hair was fire engine red and black, artfully done by my brilliant hairstylist. I miss the look, but the upkeep was expensive, so I had to give it up.

9. Darcy 07/12/2011 at 1:12 pm #

I have an entire binder full of mag tears. Most of them are from Teen Vogue. My favorite is a vintage-inspired spread photographed by Arthur Elgort. Also, I died a section of my hair blue freshman year of high school!