Expecto Cute-ronum: Keeping the Magic Alive

After months of waiting, the final installment of the Harry Potter films will be unleashed at midnight, and many of us here are gearing up for the series’ last hurrah. As excited as we are, the occasion is bittersweet. For the last fourteen years, we’ve always had another book or film release to eagerly await – another occasion to bust out our costumes and stay up late reading or watching, utterly transfixed. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 signals the end of an era.

If you’re like me, you’ll want to find little ways to continue to bring the magic of Harry Potter into your daily life. After tonight, occasions demanding robes and a wand may be few and far between, but you can always don a Hogwarts-inspired ensemble to bring a little magic to your quotidian goings-on. We’ve assembled four looks that take inspiration from each house.

GRYFFINDOR – Here, the fiery courage and playful spirit that characterizes Gryffindor House finds expression in eye-catching scarlet and gold pieces with ruffles, glitz, and glamour to spare.

In this outfit: Vermilion Reasons Why Dress, Tights for Every Occasion in Lunch Date, Retro Dollie Earrings, Got It Braid Shoulder Bag, Solo Performance Cardigan, and Fabulous Fiesta Wedge.

HUFFLEPUFF – Horticulturally gifted Hufflepuffs will surely delight in the bounty of blossoms bedecking this cheerful yellow frock! Set off with accessories in black, the most dependable of shades, this look is pure sweet and likeable charm.

In this outfit: Sweet Prophecies Cardigan, Haute Child in the City Dress, The Chosen Few Heel in Black, Cleopatra Cool Shoulder Bag, Team Colors Earrings, and Aromatic Adornment Belt.

SLYTHERIN – Slytherins are known for their cleverness and ambition, as well as the ability to stay composed under duress. These cool and collected pieces showcase the house’s green and silver hues in an unflappably elegant look.

In this outfit: Calm, Kale, and Collected Dress, Clover the Rainbow Flat, Tights for Every Occasion in Business Trip, Friday Night Fever Shoulder Bag, Fully Fine and Serpentine Double Ring, and Eye Dust in Mirror Mirror.

RAVENCLAW – The refined blue and bronze of Ravenclaw House speak to the level of sophistication its resourceful and intelligent members demonstrate. These uniquely cut, aesthetically alluring pieces epitomize the practical polish of Ravenclaw House.

In this outfit: Silk Routes Blouse, Maxi-mum Effect Skirt, Boho on the Go Wedge, Eyedust in Medusa, Case in Point Bag, Cage Presence Ring.

If you’re going to see ‘Deathly Hallows’ tonight, what do you plan to wear?

– Post by writing intern Sophi Newman

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

18 Responses to Expecto Cute-ronum: Keeping the Magic Alive

1. Chelsey (ModCloth) 07/14/2011 at 11:33 am #

This is so adorable! I will be wearing my new Griffindor t-shirt for tonight’s midnight showing, but now I have ideas for another Harry Potter themed look!

2. Sunita 07/14/2011 at 11:51 am #

I love all of those outfits! So perfect for each house!

3. Bobby 07/14/2011 at 12:16 pm #

Wow! You hit the nail on the head there with those outfits! So perfect. Loved this post :) I may just go in my all black in a pleated maxi and cardigan-get the “cape” effect. Oh yes, and take my wand ;)

4. Sunday Crossbow 07/14/2011 at 12:17 pm #

I love this! I’m not ready for the series to end tonight, which is why I’m holding off until after the weekend. But i will be sporting my Gryffindor scarf.

5. Jené 07/14/2011 at 1:21 pm #

This is amazing! I love all those outfits!

6. Susan (ModCloth) 07/14/2011 at 1:27 pm #

I am so excited to see the final movie! Book 7 was so amazing, I really hope they do it justice. I think I’ll be sporting Gryffindor colors this weekend :)

7. ariel 07/14/2011 at 3:32 pm #

I am so excited for midnight!!!! I will be dressing as Luna Lovegood, my favorite character. I even made cork necklaces, radish earrings, and spectraspecs with my friends!!!!

8. serenity 07/14/2011 at 4:55 pm #

yay! I’m dressing up tonight with my sister in robes ands ties.. but this is soo cute.

9. Linzy 07/14/2011 at 8:05 pm #

I love this! I’m so sad for the series to end, and I’m definitely gonna cry. Too many good characters die in this one!

Little Acorns

10. Tara 07/14/2011 at 8:40 pm #

I’m so happy that these are posted and am so sad about it being the last. I will be rocking out with my SLYTHERIN colors on!

11. Allison Camille 07/15/2011 at 8:40 am #

Wow, this post is amazing! Each outfit captures its house so well, not only in color but in personality and feel. I would definitely be decked out in Gryffindor garb, but that Ravenclaw outfit is calling my name as well!

PS: Any Potter fans out there should check out my band’s original song inspired by Hermione: http://spinnersendvintage.blogspot.com/2011/07/ron-weasley-please-notice-me.html

12. giulia 07/15/2011 at 10:30 am #

I definitely confirm I belong to ravencalw.
    very funny idea!!

13. Christie 07/15/2011 at 10:30 am #

Great outfits, I love all of them :)

14. Lauren 07/15/2011 at 11:56 am #

I didn’t make it out to the midnight showing, sadly. But I really love the looks you’ve created in this post. And when, in the past, I went to midnight showings, I always rocked something green and silver. I am a Slytherin at heart ;P

15. Ellie 07/17/2011 at 12:57 am #

I think I might just dress like this when I miss thinking about Harry Potter.

16. michal 07/17/2011 at 1:33 pm #

Best blog post EVER! I love all of these outfits, but especially Hufflepuff, because that is my house. =) I dressed up as Tonks & it was awesome, but I cried a lot because I can’t believe it’s over!

17. Sally 07/18/2011 at 12:12 am #

This is my favorite blog post EVER! Brilliant. Gryffindor is my house, and I adore that outfit. The Slytherin outfit is flawless as well. I sobbed at the midnight premiere.. The end of Harry Potter marks the end of my childhood. Needless to say, this post is fantastic! Thanks Modcloth!

18. Megan D. 07/19/2011 at 7:01 pm #

That is so cool how you guys made a special post for it :)