Fronds or Foes: Anne Emond's Houseplant Inventory

As someone who fancies the idea of cultivating an urban garden but tends to end up with a wilted window box, I got a kick out of Brooklyn writer and illustrator Anne Emond‘s recent comic, “Houseplant Inventory.” While the comic isn’t exactly encouraging for those of us with not-so-green thumbs, it’s always nice knowing you’re not alone.

Do you have a sorry plant story?

18 Responses to Fronds or Foes: Anne Emond's Houseplant Inventory

1. Kristina 07/26/2011 at 1:16 pm #

It’s good that your potato plant is dying! Once the tops are all brown and totally dead looking, your potatoes are ready to be harvested.

Cheers!
    Kristina
    Pearl Gateway

2. Danielle 07/26/2011 at 1:20 pm #

Change the names of a few of the plants and this is my living room in a nutshell.

3. Holly 07/26/2011 at 2:53 pm #

I killed a cactus once. I over watered it and it collapsed in on itself. True story.

• Lauren 07/27/2011 at 11:03 am #

I had a cactus and I killed it because I didn’t water it ENOUGH.

I have a black thumb.

4. Cat 07/26/2011 at 3:08 pm #

i have a few pots of sorry looking basil that keeps seeding itself, but never makes enough big green leaves. then i have a garlic bulb that i also threw randomly in a pot and grows and dies and grows again. plus theres others. i have a yellow thumb

5. Cameron 07/26/2011 at 3:30 pm #

I once had delusions of growing my own jack-o-lantern. From three plants I ended up with ONE small, green, oddly-shaped pumpkin that never turned orange. I carved it anyway.

6. Hannah (ModCloth) 07/26/2011 at 3:56 pm #

I’ve definitely been guilty of killing a jade plant and orchid because I *gasp* forgot about them. But, to focus on the positive – I have two spry primroses and a succulent thriving on my window sill right now. Hurrah!

7. Jay 07/26/2011 at 5:09 pm #

This is tooooo cute. As of late I had been obsessing over what plants I can use for terrariums and trying to see what plants I can still grow when summer ends. The illustrations are cute.

8. cheryl 07/26/2011 at 5:15 pm #

It’s always the same story for me; beautiful lush greenery turns yellow and wilted and living with me awhile. Defeated, I just open the curtains now and “bring the outside in”.

9. Clementine 07/26/2011 at 5:32 pm #

Yeah, I’ve got a story. I got a manzanita tree in a pot that was a center piece at a friend’s wedding reception, and now it’s all dry and dying even though I thouroughly deep-soaked the roots and the soil is still moist. what’s up with that?

10. Christen (ModCloth) 07/26/2011 at 6:09 pm #

That happened to me, with a miniature pot (seeds and dirt included) that was $1 at Target. Not sure why I put any faith in that little strawberry plant, but I did, and its life trajectory would fit into this index perfectly!

11. Erin 07/26/2011 at 6:50 pm #

my sister and mom have the green thumb for sure. me? not so much. I killed every plant they gave us in elementary school to “grow”.

12. Meghan 07/26/2011 at 7:39 pm #

I like to go into the home depot garden center and pick out the most depressing looking plant (usually some sad little fern) and then bring it back to life – I now have a collection of happy small ferns and random plants that I have no idea what they actually are =)

13. Elizabeth 07/26/2011 at 8:29 pm #

I once attempted to grow a mini bonsai from a bonsai kit. The lovely little seed sprouted joyfully and grew to be at least two inches tall within a week. I was very careful to give it just the right amount of water and sun. And then, one day it just slumped over and died. Poor bonsai. Rest in peace.

14. Holly 07/27/2011 at 1:46 pm #

I have a Peace Lily that is about as dramatic as you can get. About nine years ago it was looking pretty bad and I couldn’t perk it back up so I set it outside of our apartment. I had hoped that it would die in peace out there and I wouldn’t have to watch. I watered it because I couldn’t deny it little sips while dying. Then to my astonishment out of the three little leaves it had grown a beautiful white lily. We took it back inside. Nine years later it is still just as dramatic as a teenager but still just as beautiful when it decides to be.

Also, today, the 27 of July is take your houseplants for a walk day.

15. Jendi 07/29/2011 at 10:50 am #

I have many sorry plant stories. The craziest is that my kitten used all my potted plants as potties and killed them.

16. Kate (ModCloth) 07/30/2011 at 1:45 am #

I’m pretty careful to choose impossible-to-kill plants, usually. But I have run into trouble when I took plants outside for the summer and forgot to bring them in before the frost hit! (Not so much an issue now that I’m in San Francisco.)

My mother-in-law gave me an orchid last year that I never watered & forgot about once it was done blooming, but amazingly, it’s blooming again! I’m still trying to figure out what I did right…

17. brittany 07/31/2011 at 7:53 am #

I have 2 “Mrs. Henry Cox” pelargoniums that are slowly dying. When I bought it, it was lush and bright but it started dying and dropping leaves pretty much as soon as I brought it home. Same for the second one. They have both been reduced to a thick stem with a couple itty bitty leaves! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I also have a bleeding heart bush outside that was doing wonderfully until my ducks decided to trample all over it. this summer.