What a Peach: Cinnamon and Baked Peach Muffins

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

It’s high summer, which means it’s time for peaches!

As soon as peaches hit the markets, my mom and I always snatch ‘em up. Of course we love to snack on them in their purest form, but we can’t pass up baking with ripe peaches. One summer, we made a peach pie with only my grandmother’s handwritten pie crust recipe and our instincts as guides. The results of our experimentation were less than picture perfect, but still delicious!

In honor of all our mother-daughter baking adventures, I whipped up what I’m calling my “Surprise Inside Muffins” – cinnamon-flecked muffins with a flavorful peach core.

Surprise Inside Muffins
Makes about 1 dozen regular sized muffins.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
½ cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
1/2 peach chopped in bite-sized chunks

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.Sift flour, baking powder, and cinnamon into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together eggs, oil, vanilla extract and sugar.
4. Add half of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir gently. Now, add half of the milk to the wet mixture and gently stir again. Repeat until everything is almost combined. Do not overmix.
5. Fill greased muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter.
6. Drop 1 or 2 chunks of fruit into each cup of batter, making sure the fruit is submerged.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Once cool, bite into a muffin to find a delightfully baked peach inside! Add fruit preserves for a super sweet muffin, and wash it down with a glass of homemade iced tea!

14 Responses to What a Peach: Cinnamon and Baked Peach Muffins

1. Erika Rowshan 07/28/2011 at 3:19 pm #

I’ll definitely try this recipe out! :)

2. cheryl 07/28/2011 at 4:13 pm #

Uh….yum!!! Peaches are my favorite and this looks like an incredible breakfast. Thanks girls!

3. Ali 07/28/2011 at 4:48 pm #

The best thing about this recipe is it could easily be adapted for whatever fruit is in season.. I’d love to try it with nectarines or plums!
    spinnersendvintage.blogspot.com

• Angela (ModCloth) 07/28/2011 at 5:17 pm #

That’s totally true, Ali! You can even toss in berries, pomegranate seeds, or… chocolate chips! Enjoy!

4. JJ 07/28/2011 at 9:03 pm #

Yay it’s almost like Fuzzy Peaches only healthier…! Got to try these so I can get my peach fix <3

5. Samantha 07/29/2011 at 10:01 am #

Holy yums! These look really, REALLY tasty! Peach is my fave fruit, so I’ll have to stop at the farmer’s market and pick some up. I think instead of using canola oil, I’ll try it out with applesauce (a healthier substitute for oil in bread and cake recipes). I’ll follow up, just as any upstanding citizen would. :)

• Angela (ModCloth) 07/29/2011 at 6:27 pm #

I’d love to read your follow-up, Samantha. You should totally post pics on our Facebook page!

6. Catheryne 07/29/2011 at 5:14 pm #

I made these yesterday and they are delicious:)

• Angela (ModCloth) 07/29/2011 at 6:29 pm #

Yay! So glad to hear it. We’d be jazzed to see pics on our Facebook page.

7. Erin 07/30/2011 at 4:33 am #

I can’t wait to make these- I have some peaches ripening in a paper bag right now!

8. Maggie 08/01/2011 at 2:54 pm #

These were so tasty! I had picked up some local peaches from our farmer’s market and just had to bake a batch. I used a whole peach (so there were more juicy pieces), and I also added some mace and freshly ground nutmeg and cloves. Delicious!

9. Alexandra 08/01/2011 at 5:23 pm #

i made these on a muggy, rainy day when there was nothing to do… and just one of these little beauties totally brightened my day! I put a bit more fruit in, and was astounded… they were delicious! i’m deffinetly going to try to find some time to make these again!

10. krystle 08/11/2011 at 7:07 pm #

I can’t wait to try this recipe out! I got my peaches but I realized I didn’t have flour or baking pwder. Dx
    I’m also going to replace the milk(yuck) with almond milk and a little coconut milk for fat. I can’t wait to see how the flavors blend~
    I’ll update with the yum soon!

11. krystle 08/14/2011 at 2:18 pm #

Update!
    I made 2 batches of this recipe~ I had so much fun. I loved submerging the chunks of peaches into the batter. I started getting creative as I went down the rows; adding blueberries, raspberries, and walnuts.
    Then when they were completely covered I drizzled some Agave syrup to give it a sweet muffin top. :)
    They are delicious and my family loves them… a little too much!

Thank you for the recipe!