She Blinded Me with Science: Tech-curious Teens Tour ModCloth!

All images via Renee Rosensteel

I can’t help but smile at these pics from our recent collab with the Carnegie Science Center’s “Tour Your Future” program, which gives young gals behind-the-scenes looks at careers related to math, science, and computers. Through Carnegie’s Girls, Math & Science Partnership, girls aged 11 to 17 visited our Pittsburgh office to get a rundown on how tech + fashion = an awesome career!

We’re super excited to share what their visit entailed, and it wouldn’t be a stretch to say we’re feelin’ a little sentimental about it. After all, what’s the point of knowledge if we can’t pass it down to some of our figurative little sisters?

After an intro video from Susan and Winston, the group dived into interactive activities and treats like a peek at the racks (that’s where we keep all our new arrivals!). Their ModCloth tour guide and our traditional PR specialist, Aire, told the girls how ModCloth sprouted into the company it is today, while our star employees spoke about how they came to ModCloth and how science and analytics figure into the fashionable offerings on our site.

We’d been coordinating with Carnegie for over a year to create this tour, and we’re thrilled with how the day turned out. Also, a huge thanks to Pittsburgh photographer Renee Rosensteel, who snapped these lovely photos for us to keep.

Don’t you wish trips like this existed when you were a kid?

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to She Blinded Me with Science: Tech-curious Teens Tour ModCloth!

1. alicia 08/01/2011 at 11:53 am #

This is really cool- awesome to see you guys doing these kind of programs. I definitely wish I could have done something like this as a kid! Actually, I still want to…

2. Ali of Spinner's End 08/01/2011 at 11:54 am #

That last picture is so cute, I don’t blame you guys for getting sentimental. It’s so great that you got to participate in something so worthwhile!

3. Cassidy G. 08/01/2011 at 1:46 pm #

I am so envious of those lucky girls! I wish there was something even similar to modcloth in the tampa bay area. :(

4. Eliza 08/02/2011 at 7:34 am #

When is the next event? (if there is one!) If there is, how do you sign up?
    Is it free?

5. Brielle 08/02/2011 at 8:35 am #

Yeah, I’d like to ask the same questions as Eliza. That sounds super neat!

6. Audrey 08/03/2011 at 1:56 pm #

I live in Seattle but i’d be willing to go down to San Fransisco if you guys ever to that! It looks so fun! Let me know!

7. Ebelin 08/05/2011 at 10:23 pm #

Wow, can I go back into a time machine and be between ages 11-17? Maye then I”d have a chance to go on tour like this one ;D Very nice of Modcloth for doing this, it touced me as well :D

8. Nina 09/18/2012 at 2:28 pm #

Check out http://www.braincake.org/touryourfuture/index.html for upcoming Tour Your Future events! We will be coming back to ModCloth Soon!