Street Style: Would You Rock a Romper in the Summer Heat?

Images above via Kløver and The Sartorialist

With scorching summer temperatures across most of the country, we decided to take to the street style sites to see just how some of the most fashionable ladies out there are keeping cool. One trend we continue to spot is ladies opting for the simplicity of a one piece. But if there’s one article of clothing more controversial than the “jegging,” it’s the romper. These delightful designs definitely work for babies, and these fashionable ladies certainly know how to rock a romper, but will you be beating the heat in a one piece this summer?

Images via Youneak and Mr. Newton

Images via The Style Scout and The Sartorialist

About Erin

Erin is our resident California girl with a love for everything vintage. She’s the creative force behind Calivintage.com and she’s joined the ModCloth blog team to share her passion for vintage-inspired style, cycling adventures, and silly hats!

28 Responses to Street Style: Would You Rock a Romper in the Summer Heat?

1. Sarah 08/01/2011 at 3:38 pm #

I am very hourglass and extremely short (5’0″) so having a drawstring that lays across my hips is extremely unflattering. I have just been sticking to fit n flare dresses with shorts underneath!

• Chrisal 08/01/2011 at 5:18 pm #

Great suggestion! I also have yet to find a romper that’s flattering to my body type so I do the same! :)

• Amber Rose 08/02/2011 at 12:37 pm #

I’m very hourglass and am 5ft myself (though my licence says 5’1, shhh).
      I always have trouble finding shorts that are short enough to be concealed under dresses. Any recommendation?

• Kelsey 08/04/2011 at 7:48 am #

Same for me. The drop-waist is very unflattering (but I also think it’s one of the worse cuts for women’s fashion in general), but I DO find the waist cinching rompers adorable… it’s just hard to find one that will work for my body type.

2. Ali 08/01/2011 at 4:31 pm #

I live in rompers. I think anybody can wear one, as long as they find the right silhouette for their frame.

3. Roxanne the Dainty Librarian 08/01/2011 at 4:44 pm #

I absolutely love rompers! My favsie is the one I wore for the 4th of July : http://daintylibrarian.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-4th-of-july.html

• Erin (ModCloth) 08/01/2011 at 4:51 pm #

Roxanne, that vintage romper is adorable! I can definitely appreciate the vintage appeal!

• Amber Rose 08/02/2011 at 12:38 pm #

You look delightful!

4. Sydney 08/01/2011 at 9:10 pm #

I just HATE rompers. They belong on small children, not grown women!

• eyesofcuriosity 08/02/2011 at 6:11 am #

Seconded.

• Rae 08/03/2011 at 10:13 am #

I couldn’t agree more. Grown women who wear rompers look positively ridiculous. Not to mention, the majority of people I’ve seen where them don’t understand proportions and look like they actually borrowed the romper from their daughter/younger sister.

5. Corissa 08/01/2011 at 10:30 pm #

Rompers look great and are tons of fun, It’s just important to find one appropriate for your age and body shape. It just takes time to find one that really works for you.

6. Lyndell 08/02/2011 at 12:51 am #

If you’ve got the legs you’ve got the rompers. No different in effect to a mini skirt. Possible problem when someone is top heavy and fine everywhere else. I still think everyone can wear them. You could have the executive romper look, weekend romper look, sizzlin’ romper look. Take your pick. Everything old is new again.

7. Kelly @ Fashion or Fiction 08/02/2011 at 4:52 am #

I think it’s such a cute look, but it’s so not for me!

8. Leah 08/02/2011 at 10:02 am #

Rompers are a fantastic, unique trend. However, not many people can rock a romper the right way. You need to find one that is cute but not too juvenile, one with a nice print or color but not overpowering. Also, it doesn’t flatter many body types. But when you find the right one, they can be a fantastic addition to any wardrobe

9. Katie 08/02/2011 at 11:43 am #

Never never never. My style priorities are 1) comfort 2) ease of using the bathroom when wearing and 3) looking like an adult. Normally #2 doesn’t even need to be acknowledge, but it’s the #1 reason why rompers (and formal wedding gowns) are not for me!

• Amber Rose 08/02/2011 at 12:39 pm #

You had me at ‘ease of using the bathrom’.

• Karen 08/03/2011 at 9:47 am #

#2: so true Katie! I love the majorette romper I got from loverly ModCloth…but quick bathroom breaks? fahgettaboutit

10. Kate 08/02/2011 at 2:06 pm #

I absolutely love them. Granted I have been blessed with long legs, but I find them the absolute most comfortable thing to wear in the summer. My one suggestion, rompers are not something to buy online. You really need to try them on for a proper fit, but if you find a good one, it’s golden.

11. lindseyannee 08/02/2011 at 3:37 pm #

I was pretty against rompers when they first started showing up, but then I tried one on and I am 100% hooked! I could wear one every day. I usually wear mine with a cardigan, just because I think they bunch weird on me and I hate my arms. But they’re a summer must have, in my opinion. So easy/comfortable!! Viva la Romp!

12. Caitlin 08/02/2011 at 3:38 pm #

I haven’t been able to find one that fits me properly. I’m tall and have a narrow waist and have hips. It seems that they look best on waif thin or short rounder girls.

13. Madeline 08/02/2011 at 6:10 pm #

I have a navy linen romper that I bought online, actually. I’ve worn it in hot and fairly cold weather with brown boots and grey leggings underneath (with a sweater of course).

14. Kat 08/02/2011 at 7:56 pm #

Rompers are so gross >< They are fine for little kids but on grown women? Big resounding no. I'll stick to adult clothes.
    (also, is that socks with sandals in that bottom left picture? I really hope not!)

15. Jamie 08/03/2011 at 2:09 pm #

I love rompers but I am picky. I found one from ark & co. that I really like. It is off white with blue stripes and quarter length sleeves. It will be great for cooler days!

16. brittany 08/05/2011 at 9:22 am #

I love rompers! I stayed away from them at first because I figured I would never find one that looked good on my short, busty, flabby self. But now they make soooo many different cuts and styles that, although they’re still tricky, there’s one out there for everyone. Are they the most flattering thing ever? No, but who cares? They’re cool. I don’t feel the need to try and look like a model all the time. And, since I’m an adult, I KNOW how to use the bathroom in a romper. It’s not like, a big *problem* for me. I’m a proud member of the romper club!

17. Jessica 08/07/2011 at 4:47 pm #

Age appropriate & length appropriate rompers are great for women. I like a full short so that it kind of seems like a skirt. I have a denim one as well that is so fun with a summer scarf and flats. The key is to keep it simple and chic. Don’t add too much to it and keep away from too childish patterns. If I want a heel with it I do a wedge sandal – not pointy heels!

18. marty 11/07/2011 at 12:06 pm #

First of all, I have never EVER seen a child wearing anything like a romper. The only people who wear them are grown ups. I wear them now and then. they are great when its warm out. Throw on a sweater, and they can even go into the fall. They work perfectly with most any shoes, heels for romping( pun intended) in the city, or converse for the back yard. And I am vaguely tired of people with some weird issue that all women are supposed to wear their version of adult clothing. Also, being an adult, I can easily handle the few extra seconds it takes to use the bathroom in a romper. I had no idea that so many people had such weak bladder control that they need to be able to whip their pants off and go Perhaps thats why kids do NOT wear them.

19. aly 02/04/2012 at 11:39 pm #

anyone has a problem with drawstring rompers where the back makes your bum look fat and the front bunches up and looks like a beer belly!! ahahaha im like 5″ and my legs are long enough maybe my torso isnt lol