Inside Story: Make An Entrance!

Is your space craving some change? Only have an afternoon to spend sprucing? Welcome to ‘Inside Story,’ our four-part interior design series featuring super simple, low-commitment projects you can conquer in a few hours.

We asked Erin of Design for Mankind to kick off the series!

Part I: Accessorize Your Entryway
by Erin Loechner of Design for Mankind

“As a design writer, I so often see the lines between art, fashion, and decor to be hopelessly blurred—as it should be. We’re all in the game of aesthetics, so why not embrace the overlap and rejoice in beauty altogether?

“Case in point: I recently finished designing the entryway in my home and shared it on my HGTV.com column. It’s equal parts quirky and bold, which is a combination I can always get behind. Yet after walking past it day after day, I can’t help but think I’m not showcasing its beauty quite like I should. Sure, it’s a functional entryway for keys and bags, but can’t it be more?

Featured: Bow Regard Scarf, Leader of the Pachyderm Satchel, Big Cat on Campus, Portable Pocket Belt, Favorite Colors Shawl.

“Enter today, when I realized what it was missing: my vintage jewelry collection and favorite accessories. You’ll recognize a few pretty ModCloth finds in the mix (can you spot them?), and I love being surrounded by my favorite finds daily. After all, fashion and decor go hand in hand, so it’s high time I decorate with baubles galore!

“I think the look will work equally lovely in a bedroom space as an inexpensive wall art installation. Just grab a few hooks from your next thrifting trip and bust out the hammer! Here’s to being surrounded by beauty—wherever you are.”

Stay tuned for the next pad-pampering portion of this four-part interior design series, and don’t forget to let us know how your entryway makeover turned out!

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Inside Story: Make An Entrance!

1. alicia 08/02/2011 at 7:31 pm #

Love this- genius choice in having Erin kick this off. Let me know when you’re ready to kick off some fashion-y DIYs- I’ll bring the crafty style!

2. Danilyn Green 08/02/2011 at 8:31 pm #

Hey there!
    What a fabulous blog and I’m loving your most recent entry – ‘Make an Entrance’. I am studying Interior Design and love what you are doing! I was wondering where you got the template for the floorplan or if you had to build that up from somewhere? it looks so cute and would love to incorporate a similar idea into my portfolio.

Thanks for you time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
    Danilyn

• ModCloth 08/05/2011 at 11:59 am #

Hi, Danilyn!
      We’re so happy you’re enjoying it! We actually had one of our rad graphic designers create it for us from scratch for the series. We bounced a ton of ideas off of one another before deciding how to portray this one bedroom place. It’s so exciting that you’re studying Interior Design! We hope you continue to give us feedback as we move from room-to-room to let us know what you think!

Warmly,
      MC

3. Cindy (ModCloth) 08/03/2011 at 8:27 am #

This is so incredibly helpful and inspiring! I’d love to see more posts about apartment decor & design, especially for tiny living spaces like we’re used to in SF! : )

4. Erin 08/03/2011 at 11:18 am #

I wish I could redo by entire room… last time I painted and decorated it, I was 13. I’m 16 now, but there isn’t much of a way to get around obnoxious orange and blue striped walls.

5. Dolly Pop! 08/04/2011 at 11:30 pm #

I loooove hanging almost anything on my wall, especially on my bedroom. Haven’t tried that on entryways though.