Design the Dorm of Your Dreams!

You can see it now… The Flora and Fauna and Fabulous Curtains hang in the window, The Light Stuff Lamp sheds some light on things, and the Or-note Message Board adds some functional flair to the wall. Your dorm room is adorable. Now, stop daydreaming and put your interior decorating intelligence to good use in our Dorm of Your Dreams Contest!

Use the Polyvore Mini Editor here on our blog between now and 11:59 p.m. PT on August 25 to put together a primo virtual pad using our handpicked selection of 100 marvelous ModCloth items. Oh, and did we mention – the winner will snag a glorious $100 gift certificate!

So, get crackin’, and create the raddest dorm room we’ve ever seen. On August 26th, we’ll announce the winner right here on the Blog, so don’t forget to check back to see if you’ve been crowned the ‘suite-est’ interior stylist of them all!

Get your own Mini Editor from Polyvore

66 Responses to Design the Dorm of Your Dreams!

1. Nikki 08/12/2011 at 10:41 am #

I tried to put stuff on the wall hooks and into the drawers – a little odd looking but ya’ll get the idea <3

2. Barbara - The Tattooed Housewife 08/12/2011 at 10:58 am #

this was so fun! except there’s another random bunny bookshelf at the bottom right of mine that I didn’t put there. haha.

3. carla 08/12/2011 at 11:19 am #

hey i was just wondering how you ladies got the room to show up in the background

• ModCloth 08/12/2011 at 11:25 am #

Hi Carla! The background templates are the first two items in the editor. You can pick which one want to use!

• jess 08/12/2011 at 1:29 pm #

the first 2 items in the list are rooms

• Jessica 08/12/2011 at 5:56 pm #

It’s a template. The first two pictures are backgrounds for people to use to create the room. You just expand it to the size you want it and decorate it.

• Yasmine 08/12/2011 at 7:30 pm #

The first two photos are of the room layouts. You just expand the size to fit the frame and your good to go!

• Maya 08/13/2011 at 2:12 am #

The first two images from the choices are rooms. Once you drag them up, there are options to send images “backwards.” Hope that helps! :)

4. daria 08/12/2011 at 11:23 am #

how lovely! I was just admiring the deco pieces today :)

5. veronica 08/12/2011 at 11:34 am #

had fun here :)

6. Kerry 08/12/2011 at 11:56 am #

So, so much fun! xo

7. Meg 08/12/2011 at 12:04 pm #

Oh goodness this was so lovely, made my day :)

8. Linzy 08/12/2011 at 12:06 pm #

Haha, I was trying to make it look like things were hanging on the walls, but it just looked awkward so I gave up. I also ran out of room haha.

9. Tequila Burns 08/12/2011 at 1:42 pm #

Wanted to use some textiles as blankets etc but looked funky, all in all this was a lot of fun! This is a good way to introduce everyone to new pieces they may not have noticed on the site!

10. FayeElizibeth 08/12/2011 at 1:58 pm #

are we allowed to create more than one for the contest?

• ModCloth 08/12/2011 at 4:03 pm #

We’d sure love to see all you have to share, but we can only accept one entry per person!

11. Kat 08/12/2011 at 2:04 pm #

Done! and filled with owls :)

12. whiplashgirlchild13 08/12/2011 at 2:07 pm #

If you don’t have a modcloth account do you have to create one to win? Just wondering.

• Yasmine 08/12/2011 at 7:32 pm #

Please, please, please! I got to win. I adore ModCloth, but I never have money to buy the wonderful things. Im crossing my fingers! :)

13. Chantelle 08/12/2011 at 3:09 pm #

It was lovely to design. Wish my room would look half as good!

14. Kammi 08/12/2011 at 3:25 pm #

I tried to save my dorm room decordation but it didn’t save it. Boo hoo. I would love to make my room look like this. lol.

15. Lynn 08/12/2011 at 3:32 pm #

the mini editor doesn’t work. I can’t publish even though i am registered with polyvore

16. Jenna 08/12/2011 at 3:40 pm #

Whoops, I thought that the only thing that would show up is what you could see in your box, making it. I made a floor, but didn’t want the extra parts to show… Now it just looks…very messed up.

17. RadioRae 08/12/2011 at 5:24 pm #

Aww… it won’t let me publish it even though I have a polyvore account as well : ( Guess I’ll try later…

18. Lynn 08/12/2011 at 5:31 pm #

umm…i’ve made multiples rooms, but they wouldn’t publish. i even registered a new sign-in with polyvore…but it didn’t save. I’ve tried signing in to modcloth first, nothing. Then I even tried signing in through Facebook, and nothing! the mini edition never works for me, even with the other modcloth contests. so how did you guys do it?

• Hannah 08/20/2011 at 5:49 am #

You might have been putting more than 50 items…once you have more it wont allow you to save

19. Maggie 08/12/2011 at 5:53 pm #

Mine was published & showed up for a while but now is completely missing from the site…?

20. Jennifer 08/12/2011 at 6:14 pm #

For those of you who couldn’t publish: That happened to me as well. So what I did was first kept this window holding my already done room, then signed into polyvore, and then opened another of this window without my room and redid it the same way. Took a little time, but worth it! Hopes this helps somewhat.

21. Jennifer 08/12/2011 at 6:21 pm #

Also, if you don’t see it in the gallery, you can definitely see it in your polyvore account. I just hope modcloth can see them all.

22. Lynn 08/12/2011 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks for the advice, but it didn’t work. just wasn’t meant to be

• Jennifer 08/13/2011 at 3:49 pm #

Well, you have until the 26th to keep trying, and maybe if you try it on another computer. Maybe at a library. You’re very welcome anyways! :)

23. Hannah 08/12/2011 at 7:50 pm #

Mine is An Artist’s Oasis, and I couldn’t figure out how to get rid of stuff after I put it in! I actually have 2 rugs down (the owl one is under the panda rug), but pretend the owl rug isn’t there. :)

24. Evelina 08/12/2011 at 8:40 pm #

Wow – everything is adorable! :)

25. Lori 08/12/2011 at 9:14 pm #

Like others, all I see are the items in the box that you can drag to the screen, but there is nothing on that screen, it is just white, no dorm room. I was wondering how we were to make a room this way. I am using Chrome so will try this on another browser to see if it will work there first, but it seems there are problems with publishing it, too. I hope you look into these problems so everyone can enter. Thanks.

• Lori 08/12/2011 at 9:19 pm #

Never mind…I see the rooms in that box now to also drag into the space…doh!

26. vanessa campos 08/12/2011 at 9:29 pm #

this was a lot of fun i really enjoyed this. i tried to put stuff in drawers and used some objects as both shelves and the actual objects.

27. Heather Lee 08/12/2011 at 9:43 pm #

fun!!

28. vanessa campos 08/12/2011 at 9:47 pm #

also i wanted my curtains longer which is why they look a lil funny but i love it still. <3

29. Kate 08/12/2011 at 10:50 pm #

I like this, so many cute things to choose from! :)

30. Lori 08/12/2011 at 11:34 pm #

*sigh* I worked very hard on this, with the background rooms moving on me just about every time I placed an item. But, i finally thought it was as good as I could get it, and published it. And now I am shocked to see that the entire walls at the far left and right show, whereas they did not in the create window.

The way it looked there, was that only a sliver of the wall at the right showed, and the bed was partially cut off, so when I hung the blue No Parking picture it only showed an edge of it and looked like it was against the wall, rather than hanging on its side into the room.

And the left wall did not show at all, it ended at the desk. otherwise I would have put something on that wall and not have it glaringly bare. But at least there is no oddness there like the other side

The other problem is that I cleared the entire frame before doing this whole scene, and still I ended up with a book down there in the front, that is not supposed to be there. I had it on the screen before clearing and had originally tried to move it off the page by sliding it till I saw the remove button. That is the main reason that I cleared the page first, as I could no longer see it to click on and didn’t want it showing up like things had similarly for others.

So, that book and sign are really bugging me now (and yes, so is the bare wall on the left) as I am a perfectionist. Plus, I thought my design idea with the rooms placed the way they are was original and I wanted it to be just right in case someone copied my idea.

Oh well, I guess it has to stay with the glitches but this $100 means a lot to me and i hope it didn’t mess up my chances.
    Thanks, Lori

31. Tori 08/12/2011 at 11:39 pm #

This was a lot of fun, makes em wish I didn’t already have an apartment completely set up for college so I could start over and get some new fun furniture and trinkets.

32. Renee 08/13/2011 at 12:20 am #

Loving this contest!

33. Maya 08/13/2011 at 2:09 am #

:C I was so sad when one of those cute wall hooks was cropped all awkwardly! lol

34. Tiffany 08/13/2011 at 9:18 am #

I did mine. I didn’t have any glitches. I wish everyone luck with the contest. It was a lot of fun and a truly original idea.
    -Tiffany :)

35. Hilary 08/13/2011 at 1:02 pm #

I love these contests! They got me hooked on Polyvore lol

36. Mapley 08/13/2011 at 7:41 pm #

I wish that the finished image was “what you see is what you get” I had enlarged my room space so that it filled the Polyvore box, but upon publishing, found out that something had been mistakenly places outside of view. >_> Extra lamp! *shakes fist*

Ah well, it was still fun. :)

37. Hannah 08/14/2011 at 9:33 am #

Wow, what a fun idea!

38. Melissa 08/15/2011 at 10:16 am #

I hope it turns out well!

39. Keira 08/15/2011 at 1:14 pm #

Thank you modcloth! I thoroughly enjoyed getting involved in this. Plus I start college this year so it’s given me lots of lovely design ideas!

40. Denise 08/15/2011 at 3:16 pm #

I’m excited, I loved doing my sweet bedroom!

41. Rin 08/15/2011 at 11:12 pm #

Can somebody help me? I’ve spent a long time on this, and now it won’t let me publish it. :( Is there any way I can have this fixed so I can enter the competition?

• Hannah 08/16/2011 at 11:11 am #

you might have more than 50 items

42. Rin 08/15/2011 at 11:27 pm #

Wow. Finally made it much smaller so it’d work correctly…and then I published it and it totally messed up when it was posted. xD It’s official; my luck sucks. haha

43. melina 08/16/2011 at 8:02 pm #

heey! loved to to this! and really want all the things I’ve put in my dream dorm!

44. Kayla 08/16/2011 at 8:14 pm #

I would LOVE to have my “Stratford on Aviary” as a real room! A combination of my love for Shakespeare (and theater in general) and my desire to spread my wings :)

45. Sarah 08/17/2011 at 10:10 am #

Awe. I always sorta wanted to be an interior designer. I love decorating. Thanks for this cute contest modcloth!

46. Bri 08/17/2011 at 5:43 pm #

this was fun! but I didnt do it right. don’t ask, i don’t know how i messed it up.

47. Cate 08/17/2011 at 7:00 pm #

I keeps saying an error occurred while processing my request! This is the 4th time I’ve redone the room and it still isn’t working! Grr…

48. Kimberlee Hawkins 08/18/2011 at 1:36 pm #

This was so much fun :D My entry is Kimberlee’sWonderlandDorm :D

49. Sha 08/19/2011 at 1:33 pm #

This was tons of fun, and there are so many good entries! I can’t to see who won! c:

50. Ilana 08/21/2011 at 2:47 pm #

My entry, “Eclecti-Co Ed,” re-purposes some of the items from the library to create my ideal dorm room. For example, the rug is one of the most important parts of the dorm room because it is one of the biggest pieces of scenery, and separates you from the cold, concrete floor. I tiled the Bauhaus print to make my own rug design. In addition, I re-imagined the “Bright in Flight” Lamp as a bedside table lamp. I am looking forward to the school year!

51. Annabelle 08/22/2011 at 2:02 am #

This is so lovely :3 although i wish that you could colour/coat the drawers, bedding and floors…

52. Lucy 08/23/2011 at 2:26 pm #

Will this be judged by the people of Modcloth, or will it be judged on how many likes you get on the set by other viewers? I’m always really worried about these types of contests, because so many others tend to promote voting for them on websites or blogs (as the person with the most likes in this contest has so far). It seems unfair for others who are trying to enter. :c

• J 08/23/2011 at 9:36 pm #

I think everyone who entered this contest spent a lot of time working hard on their rooms for you to be so petty. And here I thought this was supposed to be a friendly competition. Good luck to everyone!!!!

• Lucy 08/24/2011 at 2:37 pm #

I’m not being petty, I just want everyone to get a fair chance. When others push for people to vote for them through other means which they already have a fanbase (blogs, facebook, etc.), it never seems fair to others who don’t have a way to promote themselves. It was just a question, I never intended it to be about myself and I never pointed it in that way. I think you may have misunderstood.

53. Hilary 09/02/2011 at 3:35 am #

When will the winners be announced?