Helmet-Friendly Hairdos for the Gal on the Go

It’s easy to make a favorite dress cycle-friendly (just add leggings) — but how does a lady style her hair? Wearing a helmet is a must, but the combination of humidity and the snug fit can impart less-than-comely creases and turn the most magnificent manes into a frustrating tangle. Happily, a host of charming hairstyles accommodate the singular demands of protective headgear!

Whether your hair is cute and curly, short and sassy, or long and lovely, we’ve got a ‘do for you! Get inspired as three marvelous ModCloth employees model these helmet-friendly hairstyles!

Curly Hair
Curly hair like Executive Assistant Shanti’s can be prone to frizzy unruliness beneath a bicycle helmet, so try styling your spiraling locks in French braids for a timeless and practical look. Sweet yet sophisticated, these pretty pigtails will keep your hair close to your head for a helmet-friendly low profile.

Check out this YouTube tutorial to master the basic technique of French braiding! For pigtails, part your hair into two even sections at the back of your head, securing the side you aren’t working on in a ponytail to keep things neat. It helps if you have a friend or loved one to lend a hand, and don’t worry if it doesn’t look perfect — French braids lend themselves to an artfully messy look.

Short Hair
Keep short hair tangle-free with your favorite vintage scarf! Styling is simple, just don’t forget to check the fit of your helmet after donning your scarf so that you stay safe!

To get this look, modeled by Writing Development Editor Hannah, take a scarf, fold it in half into a triangle, and wrap the long edge around your head so that the point of the triangle falls just above the nape of your neck. Secure the ends in a knot and slip the pointed end of the scarf under the knot. Push in the extra folds of fabric for a nice smooth shape, adjust the position of the scarf as necessary, and you’re good to go!

Long Hair
A French braid headband provides an elegant method for keeping long hair tidy while still allowing you to show off your tresses. This sweet style, modeled by Community Manager Maggie, will keep your locks out of your way. Attaining this look can be a bit tricky, but with a buddy, some practice, and a thorough tutorial like this one, you’ll achieve success in a snap!

Do you have any tried and true techniques for avoiding helmet hair blues?

— Post by writing intern Sophi Newman

About ModCloth

, , ,

10 Responses to Helmet-Friendly Hairdos for the Gal on the Go

1. Linzy 08/12/2011 at 11:28 am #

This post is great! One of the reasons I don’t wear a helmet(aside from not owning one), is that I can’t stand helmet hair! I can’t believe I never thought of a scarf before. :/

Little Acorns

2. Ali of Spinner's End 08/12/2011 at 12:06 pm #

I think you forgot to post the link for the headband braid.. nothing seems to be hyperlinked in my browser anyway. Would you mind posting it? I’d love to learn how to do that.

3. Liz 08/12/2011 at 12:13 pm #

I LOVE this!!! I usually do the side braided headband when I cycle to work! But I love all the other ideas! :)

4. Tiffany 08/13/2011 at 8:31 am #

What a great post!! I love seeing things like this and learning something new you never thought of! Very cool!

5. Zoë 08/13/2011 at 10:40 am #

Unfortunately, the woman in the second set of photos is not very safe. Note how her helmet is really perched on the crown of her head and not sitting nice and low (the bottom edge of the helmet should be no higher than two fingers’ width above the eyebrow). I’m sure the headscarf idea can work, but it must be done with a helmet big enough to fit over it safely! She’s leaving her face, forehead, and brain stem open to serious damage.

6. Kat 08/13/2011 at 11:40 am #

Having a bob cut, I like the scarf look…but she’s not wearing her helmet right (as Zoë also points out) She needs a larger helmet! I’d say if your helmet fits with out a scarf but not with one then forgo the scarf! Bring it with you and put it on after you take your helmet off if you must but don’t ruin the point of a helmet!

7. Annie 08/14/2011 at 7:49 am #

As a girl with longer locks, I love the last suggestion, not only for helmet-wear, but as a hairstyle to add to my everyday arsenal. Very adorable!

8. Al K 08/15/2011 at 8:51 pm #

I love wearing french braids! Thank you so much or this post.

9. Jan mann 08/17/2011 at 6:11 pm #

All these style ideas are great but I have an additional problem. I live in Mexico where it is always hot and I always have sweaty hair after wearing my helmet for even a short time. Any suggestions?