Pedal Pretty DIYs: How to Decoupage Your Helmet

The last time I walked into a bike store to get a new helmet, my pretty-thing-loving heart floundered amidst the sea of boring plastic shells. It was no excuse to forgo helmetting-up that head of mine, though, so I purchased a plain blue helmet and said to said helmet, “Don’t worry, ugly duckling of a helmet. I will make you a swan!” And so, a DIY mission to decoupage the daylights out of my humdrum helmet was born. You can see the happy results above.

But helmets aren’t the only aspect of bike accessorizing that need help, so I enlisted two of my creative coworkers to come up with some similarly stylish DIY bike projects. Read below to learn how to decoupage your helmet, then check back Wednesday and Friday for more practical, pretty ideas!

Helmet Decoupage

Cool paper (I used old maps, but magazines, wrapping paper, etc. also work great!)
Mod Podge (available at any arts and crafts store)
Flat, mid-sized paintbrush
Scissors (I opted to tear my paper, but you might prefer sharper lines!)
Waterproof sealant

1. Cut or tear paper into small pieces of varying size and shape.

2. Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge on helmet.

3. Place a piece of paper on layer of Mod Podge.

4. Cover piece of paper with a new layer of Mod Podge.

5. Repeat until helmet is covered.

6. Allow helmet to dry

7. Cover with waterproof sealant.

Happy biking!

, , ,

10 Responses to Pedal Pretty DIYs: How to Decoupage Your Helmet

1. Tammy 08/15/2011 at 8:02 am #

Holy moley! ‘Tis fabulous!!!

2. cb 08/15/2011 at 10:52 am #

i love that you guys are posting cute bike projects and suggestions! what with the whole cycle chic and slow bike movement, you are helping tons of girls get on two wheels and ride, thanks! i LOVE seeing more ladies on the road :)
    xo,
    cb

3. Ebelin 08/15/2011 at 11:03 am #

Very cute indeed! I need to buy a helmet now!! hehehe :)

4. Linzy 08/15/2011 at 12:33 pm #

I absolutely love this! What a great way to keep your head safe, but also stylish. And, it’s totally one-of-a-kind! Awesome!

Little Acorns

5. Mod Podge Amy 08/15/2011 at 7:33 pm #

Um, love! I have a Mod Podge blog, so I can totally appreciate this. I have done this to a helmet and it’s really fun :D

6. Ana 08/17/2011 at 1:58 pm #

If you fall, the purpouse of a biking helmet is to break (instead of your head). If you put anything on the helmet, it won’t break properly, leaving you with a higher chance of injury.

• Kerry 02/06/2012 at 3:31 pm #

Exactly what I was thinking. Not a very safe project if you want to actually use the helmet after.

7. puppyloveprincess 08/20/2011 at 9:42 am #

ohmygosh, what a fun idea!

8. chriss 08/22/2011 at 6:10 am #

That is a fantastic-looking helmet! Sadly, as Ana states, sticking stuff on your helmet does decrease its effectiveness — not necessarily in how it breaks, but more in its slippiness: the idea behind the helmet is that if (hopefully never!) your head hits the road, the helmet will slide, so rather than all that energy going into your body, and likely resulting in some scary neck or spine trauma, the energy is dissipated along the road as you slide. Most helmet manufacturers state that by changing the outside (because the first thing I wanted to do with mine was add stickers!!), you’re voiding the helmet’s effectiveness.
    Boo to these boring helmet rules!

Anyway, sorry to post such a “down” comment — your helmet is very good-looking! — but… just thought I should put the word out.

9. RdingPretty 08/26/2011 at 10:03 am #