Sweet Treat: Kiwi and Yogurt Muffins

I opened my fridge to find it nearly empty – one egg, condiments, and an abundance of plain yogurt. How did it come to this? Regardless, I needed to concoct a muffin of the month, and I pulled the yogurt from the fridge. Then, I ran down to the market and grabbed a kiwi, thinking, “Hrm, never baked with this before!” The result? These delightfully sweet, crumbly, kiwi and yogurt muffins!

‘Ki-wi’ hope you love them!

‘Kiwi’ Love Muffins
Makes about 1 dozen regular sized muffins. Prep time:  about 10 minutes. Bake time: 20-25 minutes.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup yogurt
2/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 peeled and chopped kiwi

1. Preheat oven at 350°F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Beat together egg, oil, yogurt, and vanilla, then stir in sugar.
4. Gently stir flour mix into sugar mix, adding a little flour at a time.
5. Fold in chopped kiwi. Do not overmix.
6. Fill muffin cups and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.

Enjoy with a glass if OJ and a dollop of honey! What baking inventions have you come up with lately?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

12 Responses to Sweet Treat: Kiwi and Yogurt Muffins

1. Rebecca 08/16/2011 at 1:10 pm #

ummm yum!! this is totally on my weekend to-do list! a little while ago i experimented and made fourth of july colored cupcakes! i owe betty crocker for the base, but i was able to get the colors just right!

2. Stephanie 08/16/2011 at 4:42 pm #

These look amazing! (: Just one question..Plain Yogurt or Vanilla Yogurt?!

• Angela (ModCloth) 08/17/2011 at 9:43 am #

Stephanie, I used plain and depended on the vanilla extract for flavor and sweetness. However, you can use any flavor you wish, just remember to leave out the extract if you don’t want the muffins too sweet.

3. Sydney 08/16/2011 at 8:10 pm #

My husband and I just made a batch of mini fruit pizzas today (they’re easy: make some sugar cookies, slather them with cream cheese mixed with sugar and almond extract, top with the fruit of your choice).

4. krystle 08/18/2011 at 9:45 am #

I’m going to try these with coconut milk yogurt!

5. krystle 08/18/2011 at 9:48 am #

Oh and ever since I found your peach surprise muffin recipe.. I havent stopped baking~
    Last night I made vegan pumpkin muffins with walnuts and figs.

• Angela (ModCloth) 08/18/2011 at 12:15 pm #

Krystle, that’s so sweet. I’m happy to hear it. I’d love to try your vegan pumpkin muffins recipe!

6. Rachel Marie 08/22/2011 at 7:19 am #

I’m so glad I discovered your muffin of the month postings! Muffins are my favorites! I will surely be trying out some of your recipes :)

7. krystle 09/01/2011 at 9:03 pm #

Its not entirely~my~ recipe. I always use yours and some from theppk.com as a base and I switch out and add ingredients to my liking/curiosity :)
    I swapped the soy milk for Coconut milk and unsweetened vanilla almond milk (half/half)
    And I also use half whole red wheat and half whole grain pastry flour. When I use all whole wheat the muffins tend to be too tough :/
    And I added figs, pecans, walnuts and some raspberries in a few as a surprise.

I just pulled these kiwi muffins out of the oven and OH THEY ARE GOOD. ive been really critical about my moofins(everyone else likes them but i always have something to nit-pick about them) BUT OH THESE ARE GOOD MUFFINS.

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

8. Isabel 02/25/2012 at 9:39 am #

I just baked these and WOW they’re yummy!!!! I swapped the kiwi for blueberries because my family doesn’t like them but the yogurty muffin is sooo good. :) Thanks for the recipe! I’m definitely going to try more of your muffin recipes.

9. muffin recipes 10/16/2013 at 10:20 pm #

I really like what you guys are up too. This
    type of clever work and coverage! Keep up the
    very good works guys I’ve included you guys to my blogroll.