Pedal Pretty DIYs: How to Make Wristlets and Waist Wraps

After one year of bike commuting, I’ve learned to live with cold wind needling my skin when my tee malevolently scurries up my back, and getting heated up on those rare, warm San Francisco days. But Mini, Design Team Manager, isn’t about to settle for such inconveniences; rather, she dreamed up some clever ways around these problems!

Below, you can find directions for making a waist wrap that’ll keep your back covered and chill-free despite finicky tees or hip-hugging pants, and then a step-by-step for making wristlets that are great for patting down daintily on a hot day, or storing a Kleenex in windy weather.

Do you have any creative solutions to common cyclist woes?

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

12 Responses to Pedal Pretty DIYs: How to Make Wristlets and Waist Wraps

1. Sunita 08/17/2011 at 10:18 am #

The waist wrap could also double as a belt. The one in the pic is cute, and I would wear it as a fashion accessory.

2. Ebelin 08/17/2011 at 10:52 am #

I agree with Sunita! And I LOVE the idea of the waist wrap never really would have thought about it since when I bike ride I always opt for longer shirts to avoid the rising.

3. Alyssa Pritchett 08/17/2011 at 11:54 am #

The idea as a belt is really good since it would be a statement piece, but I love the original idea of keeping it as a wrap.

4. Kate (ModCloth) 08/17/2011 at 11:58 am #

Both of these are awesome ideas – never thought of them! I’m loving this series. :)

5. Angela (ModCloth) 08/17/2011 at 12:00 pm #

I’m excited to make one of these wristlets!

6. ModaMama 08/17/2011 at 3:19 pm #

What a great DIY project! Such a great simple idea, but what a necessary one! Thank you!

ModaMama.blogspot.com/

7. Carlie 08/17/2011 at 8:51 pm #

Such a great idea! Thanks for the show-how, I’ve been toying with an idea like this, love the buttons!

I know cyclists have been wearing sleeves for a while now, but I took it one step further & made them fashionable – now you can hop on your bike & show the world your style personality =)

8. Kelly McKernan 08/18/2011 at 6:58 am #

So cute!

9. Amanda 08/18/2011 at 1:37 pm #

I think this is a great idea with the upcoming holiday gift-giving season. The only thing is that as illustrated here, the waist wrap is not really finished with quality- you really should line it to give it a nicer look, especially if giving as a gift. And it’s only as hard to line it as it is to make 2 instead of 1…

10. Sarah 08/20/2011 at 2:48 pm #

I would find a piece of denim colored fabric and it would make your jeans look retro & high waisted! I love this idea!!

• Sunita 08/20/2011 at 8:30 pm #

What a great idea, Sarah!

11. Lissa 08/20/2011 at 8:33 pm #

I am a petite woman and have a very difficult time finding clothes that fit my body. I am 5’4 and am one of those chicks that my Grammie used to refer to as a “cheerleader body” (petite, with a wider midsection and very small lower body). I would love for ModCloth to feature more “petite friendly” items…maybe even a whole advertising push designated to ALL of the different body times!

Can I hear a HELL TO THE YES!

Love, The Petite Cheerleader!