I 'Carob' About You: Carob Cookie Confections

It was an unusual circumstance in which to discover a delicious, yet good-for-you, snack. I was in an art class with my mom, in the small, chain-restaurant-loving Upstate New York town where I grew up. On a break from painting, one of the cotton-haired old ladies at the class offered me a cookie from the batch she’d brought in to share. One bite, and I was smitten. After hearing the ingredients, I was bitten — by the food love bug, that is!

That night, I walked my eyes around the endless mall of the internet, and found the cookbook that the recipe came from: Jane Kinderlehrer’s Confessions of a Sneaky Organic Cook, a hokey, helpful, cookbook-meets-lifestyle-advice gem straight out of 1971.

As a special treat for you retro-recipe-lovers out there, I’m sharing the secret behind “Carob Confections,” the very concoction which caused so much contented commotion on the dance floor of my taste buds, that I felt compelled to purchase the aforementioned cookbook immediately.

Enjoy!

Carob Confections
From Confessions of a Sneaky Organic Cook by Jane Kinderlehrer

½ cup carob powder
½ cup honey
½ cup peanut butter (natural)
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup wheat germ
¼ cup soya grits or soy flour (I used the latter)
unsweetened coconut crumbs

1. Mix together.
2. Form into balls.
3. Roll in coconut crumbs.

That was easy, wasn’t it? Do you have any favorite retro recipes?

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

7 Responses to I 'Carob' About You: Carob Cookie Confections

1. LocalCeleb 09/20/2011 at 10:45 am #

Absolutely printing out this recipe to try, they look so cute.. lol!

2. liz 09/21/2011 at 12:07 pm #

looks delicious. i don’t care about peanut butter much.. are there any substitutes?

• Hannah (ModCloth) 09/21/2011 at 5:51 pm #

I don’t see why you couldn’t try almond butter or cashew butter!

3. Lauren 09/21/2011 at 1:37 pm #

would regular flour work too? I don’t know where to find “soya grits” or “soy flour” up here.

• Hannah (ModCloth) 09/21/2011 at 5:52 pm #

I imagine it would! The flour just acts as a thickner and helps hold the ‘batter’ together. I got my soy flour from the bulk food section of a local co-op grocery store, but any health food store should have it too.

• Kristin Glenn Grissom 10/15/2011 at 8:52 pm #

Lauren to keep it healthy you could use oat flour, if it’s not available I just put oats in a coffee grinder until it’s flour consistency.

4. krystle 09/21/2011 at 1:41 pm #

Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter(blech), tahini butter~ whatever yout heart desires~