From Hair to There: Get to Know These 1940's Hairstyles

Borne up by a wave of inspiration after watching the 1940s hairstyle video, above, I landed with the thought of writing a blog post on ’40s hairstyles. So, I’ve straightened out some research and banged out a few ’40s-era hairdo definitions for ya!

Chignon – The hairdo seen in the video at top, the chignon is marked by a low bun and upswept sides, and can have many variations.

Omelet Fold – This ‘egg-ceptional’ hairdo features a slightly off-center part, rolled up or folded up sides, and, if desired, a decorative arrangement of curls on top.

Queue Curl – Sure to get one’s hair in line and lookin’ fine, this pretty style boasts rolled and folded up sides, a slicked down middle, and a slightly teased or curled back.

Victory Rolls – This successfully stylish ‘do and trademark of the pin-up and rockabilly aesthetics exhibits rolled up sides that sit high atop the crown toward the front of the head. The remaining hair can be pinned up or worn down. The name for this hairstyle comes from a maneuver executed by fighter jets.

Which of these ‘dos makes your heart ‘flyaway?’

16 Responses to From Hair to There: Get to Know These 1940's Hairstyles

1. Charlotte 09/23/2011 at 1:37 pm #

I love Victory Rolls but I’d really like to learn how to do the queue curl, that’s really pretty. I’m already a sucker for Veronica Lake’s hair. Shame I’m rubbish and can’t manage any of them!

2. Sunita 09/23/2011 at 1:44 pm #

I’m in love with the Chignon, but I also like the Victory Rolls. I am a challenged when it comes to doing my hair. Can an in-depth tutorial (like the recent make-up one) be done for one or all of these styles? : )

3. rachelle 09/24/2011 at 8:01 pm #

I watched that a long time ago, i’ve always been interested in vintage hairstyles. They all seem so complex, and i haven’t seen many good tutorials online. I wish there was a class somewhere i could take.

4. Victoria / Justice Pirate 09/29/2011 at 11:47 am #

I love Veronica Lake’s hairstyles. I used to try to do my hair like hers when I was a little girl and my mom couldn’t stand it and said, “stop covering your pretty eyes with your hair!! Stop trying to be like Veronica Lake!” . . I watched too many of her films as a child. Anyway my hair is far too long to successfully do some of these styles mentioned, though I did the Victory Rolls and Queue Curl when I did have shorter hair. I would love to try out the other two. I always have done Chignons based more in the Victorian era but not in the 40s era.

5. Alanna 10/03/2011 at 10:44 am #

Youtube is full of tutorials on how to do all of the above. Great post!

6. keira 10/03/2011 at 11:04 am #

I’ve got a few more I can add too but these are great!! I’m a HUGE advocate for wearing your hair like no one else!!!!

7. Sophia 10/03/2011 at 11:04 am #

sigh. and none of these would work with my curly curly hair. That’s why I keep watching silent films from the ’20s where the girls have short curly bobs and none of them seem to mind the frizz.

• Laura 10/03/2011 at 2:20 pm #

You can wear your hair like this, even with super curly hair. It just takes practice and the know how. Lol even i the 40′s women had super curly hair, and they managed these styles!

8. Marianella 10/03/2011 at 11:20 am #

If I could wear my hair this way everyday I would. I love the look so classic.

9. Laura 10/03/2011 at 2:19 pm #

Lisa Freemont Street has wonderful tutorials on youtube!

10. Korinna 10/03/2011 at 6:42 pm #

I would love a tutorial!!

11. Mishalla 10/03/2011 at 7:00 pm #

What a small world, I just did a video tutorial on my blog today about making victory rolls! My hair do of the day ended up being the “queue curl” style you have posted above!

12. Ina 10/04/2011 at 2:25 am #

I was really hoping this would be a tutorial guys :( Instead of just pictures of the do’s. I’m sure we’ve seen them all before.

13. Shauna 10/04/2011 at 2:41 pm #

I like the Chignon and victory curls the best. Is there a tutorial on how to do them?

14. Amanda 10/04/2011 at 8:13 pm #

The victory rolls have always been one of my favorites. However, now that I have a short pixie hair-do, I am limited on my curls. I do a shell bang with some little pin curls with hair setting lotion at night. Works just wonderfully. Not as much frizz to deal with as when my hair was longer.

15. The Retro Natural 10/14/2011 at 8:42 am #

I like victory rolls but because my hair is natural/curly, I tend to modify them a bit..the chignon is always a classic ‘do for nice evenings out!