Everybody Say “OmmWriter”

In this Internet age, summoning the willpower to just sit down and write can be a Herculean task. When faced with a depressingly empty Word Document and a seemingly impossible word count, it’s hard to resist the siren call of the interwebz. OmmWriter Dana is here to help.

Concocted by a Barcelona creative agency, OmmWriter Dana is a downloadable desktop program that overtakes your screen so that you can write without distractions. Its clean, minimalistic window expands into fullscreen view, so that it’s just you and the page. OmmWriter also comes with ambient music and soothing, abstract backgrounds, if that’s your thing. (I turn those features off; they make me feel like I’m a writer in an infommercial or particularly terrible Lifetime movie.)

What do you think of OmmWriter? Any other writing tools you guys recommend?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

13 Responses to Everybody Say “OmmWriter”

1. Cindy (ModCloth) 10/11/2011 at 12:05 pm #

I LOVE OmmWriter Dana. Another of my favorite sites for preventing distractions under deadline is http://simplynoise.com

2. Em 10/11/2011 at 12:41 pm #

i also like the “self control” app. You can download it, make a list of websites that distract you while you work (or a list of the only websites that don’t) and set a timer from 15 mins to 24 hours, during which time you CANNOT access blocked sites or turn the timer off, even by restarting. http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/
    i also like rainymood.com for background noise, alone or mixed with jazz.

• Jenn (ModCloth) 10/11/2011 at 1:05 pm #

Oh man. SelfControl sounds great (probably because I have so little when it’s time to buckle down and write). Thanks for the rec, Em!

• peace 10/11/2011 at 2:27 pm #

do they have self-control for pc’s? it sounds great but i don’t have a mac :(

• Jenn (ModCloth) 10/12/2011 at 8:22 am #

Hey, Peace! According to their FAQ, there is not a PC version. However, SelfControl is a free, open source project, so if you’re computer-savvy, you can download the code and play around with making it PC compatible!

3. Natalie 10/11/2011 at 2:14 pm #

My favorite is Write or Die. I’ve used it for NaNoWriMo, and it’s super effective for that style of writing (just trying to get words on the page without your inner editor getting in the way). If you let yourself stop typing for too many seconds, you get a “consequence”:
    Gentle: a pop-up box appears reminding you to keep writing

Strict: an unpleasant sound starts playing that doesn’t stop until you continue writing

Kamikaze: your writing starts to erase itself!

It has a free online version, and a $10 desktop version. http://writeordie.com/

4. Heather 10/11/2011 at 3:54 pm #

This is beautiful!
    Similar to Em’s suggestion of Self Control is Freedom. It was originally a Mac application but now it’s available for PC, too. It’s an Internet blocking software that lets you go offline for up to 8 hours, but you can re-access the Internet by re-starting the computer (that’s the only way, though). But it’s easy to use and inexpensive (and there’s a free trial).
    Many of my writer friends swear by Scrivener. I haven’t gotten too into it yet, but it’s an amazing program. It’s good for those writing books or something longer.

5. Lauren Helen 10/11/2011 at 7:27 pm #

How does the internet always know when I’m procrastinating? Yesterday I was directed to a video about minimizing distractions, and now this! This is seriously a neat idea though.

6. Katie 10/11/2011 at 8:11 pm #

I’m with Natalie! I SWEAR by Write or Die! <3

7. Sara C 10/12/2011 at 12:07 am #

I also agree with Katie and Natalie! Write or Die always helps me with NaNoWriMo. Then afterwards I enjoyed working with Scrivener, but it’s not as effective as Write or Die. (Great for editing though)

But this November, I’m looking forward to testing Storyist to see if I like that even more than previous programs.

8. LocalCeleb 10/12/2011 at 5:38 am #

This is cool! I’m always distracted!!!

9. Roxanne the Dainty Librarian 10/16/2011 at 9:42 am #

This sounds fantastic! I can’t wait to try it!

10. Sophie S 11/03/2011 at 5:46 pm #

I know a site that may not be very soothing, but is in fact the exact opposite… the screen slowly goes red and depending on the mode you chose either babies start crying or your words start erasing themselves. Definitely motivational.