Frock Out for a Cause!

Have you heard? It’s Frocktober! What does this mean? During the month of October, people around the world are rocking frocks to raise funds and awareness for ovarian cancer research.  Since its start in 2007, when a group of friends in Geelong, Australia each donned a dress, went out to a pub, and passed around a hat to raise $200, Frocktober continues to grow each year with more women — and some men — rocking frocks for the cause. The Frocktober challenge is simple: wear a dress to raise funds and awareness for ovarian cancer research.

We couldn’t pass up the opportunity to partner with such a groovy group, so we’ve declared that darling piece above the Frocktober Dress, and will donate 20% of the proceeds to the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation of Australia.

But rocking the Frocktober Dress isn’t the only way you can participate and help raise awareness. Consider blogging about Frocktober, hosting a frock swap, or organizing a ‘Frock Friday’ at work.  Check out more ideas here.

Or, you can donate directly. Here are a few suggested organizations:

So what are you waiting for? Get frockin’!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

19 Responses to Frock Out for a Cause!

1. Elizabeth 10/18/2011 at 1:30 pm #

A nice idea! Because that dress is much too short for a 5’7 lady, I’ll be donating directly. Thank you! And also…can you please keep the taller women in mind when stocking the shop? So many of your dresses come off as glorified tops on me.

• ModCloth 10/18/2011 at 2:04 pm #

We’re sorry about the dress length, but we’re glad you found another way to show support of ovarian cancer research!

We’re always striving to make the shopping experience better, and for future reference when searching for dresses, you can peruse the ‘Longer Lengths’ section on our site: http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses/Longer+Lengths

Thanks for your feedback!

2. Victoria / Justice Pirate 10/18/2011 at 1:52 pm #

This is amazing to me because my God-mother died of Ovarian Cancer in March. The only problem is that I am 5’9″ and like my skirts to reach my knees or longer. Very cute. I’m glad you guys are doing this. ^_^

3. Graham 10/18/2011 at 1:54 pm #

Where are the plus-size dresses for awareness?

• Amber 10/18/2011 at 8:23 pm #

I agree. I would buy one but am not quite small enough.

4. mscate 10/18/2011 at 3:00 pm #

Shame the dress you selected only goes up to a US14 as 60% of Australian women are sized sized 16 and above…

5. Bridget 10/18/2011 at 5:39 pm #

I truly appreciate ModCloth helping support Ovarian Cancer Awareness. I recently lost my own mother to the disease and regularly work with programs to spread Ovarian Cancer Awareness. Thank you for helping to publicize the cancer that whispers.

6. Sunita 10/18/2011 at 5:44 pm #

Count me in!

7. mellygoround 10/18/2011 at 6:14 pm #

Frocktober is a great fun way to raise money for an excellent, sometimes overlooked, cause.

I did it last year and raised $1200. This year I’m doing it for the second time, and replicating stock photos in my frocks on a daily basis: http://frockingstocktober.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/october-18-lollipops/

In the next week or two a gorgeous Modcloth frock (the Kennebunkport) will be making an appearance.

8. Full Bodied Fashion 10/18/2011 at 6:59 pm #

What a beautiful dress and a worthy cause. I echo the sentiments of others in wishing that the dress came in plus size as well. I know modcloth’s plus size range is growing but I wish I could support this cause by buying the Frocktober dress. Thank you for the other suggestions for raising awareness, I’ll try to find one of those that works for me.

9. Bethany 10/18/2011 at 9:27 pm #

I don’t like that dress but if you had something cuter I would totally participate in your fundraiser. My grandmother is currently fighting agents ovarian cancer. And has just has to shave her head. I would love to see more items that are included in this sale/event

10. Chelsea 10/18/2011 at 9:39 pm #

I think it’s GREAT that you all are doing this, but I would have liked to see a dress that suited more sizes! My size is available, but even as a 5’6″ lady, it’s much too short!

I’m happy to make a direct donation though! Thank you for raising awareness!!!

11. knit1fortheroad 10/19/2011 at 8:04 am #

Thank you for raising awareness of Ovarian Cancer.

12. Amy 10/19/2011 at 8:37 am #

My best friend lost her fight against ovarian cancer a year ago August 1st. Lisa was the most amazing woman i have ever known. She was a talented artist who taught at a Montessori school and would have love, love, loved this adorable dress. I can’t thank you enough for donating to a cause very near and dear to my heart. I will be ordering this dress today. =)

13. Loz 10/19/2011 at 11:36 am #

Wow! As someone who was there on that night Frocktober was born (Geelong is my home town and these guys are some of my best friends), and someone who has bought from ModCloth, I am so excited and amazed that you’re helping support the cause! THANK YOU!!

14. Maggie 10/20/2011 at 7:25 am #

What a stellar idea, I’m a 6 month Ovarian Cancer Survivor & I’m working hard to raise awareness. I love ModCloth, so you put the two together & it’s a fantastic idea! Thanks for caring :)

15. Marti 10/20/2011 at 6:16 pm #

I love it!!!!! Here in the US October is dedicated to breast cancer, but my daughter passed away of ovarian cancer last February…..she always hated the fact that pink was everywhere for the month of October (and more) while ovarian cancer is the deadliest gynecological cancer and gets almost no publicity. I will definitely wear the dress now and make next October Frocktober :)

16. Emily 10/20/2011 at 7:41 pm #

I am an Australian doing Frocktober. It is so important that an early detection test for Ovarian Cancer is discovered. As most women diagnosed are already in the late stages. Please if you would like to support the cause donate directly, or you can donate to support me. I have been wearing a dress/skirt everyday in October to help raise awareness. There are lots of Modcloth outfits!

To see the outfits and learn more you can visit my blog at http://andthats-thestory.blogspot.com/

To donate to me: http://www.everydayhero.com/emily_rowe

Thanks for supporting this cause Modcloth.

17. rachel 11/01/2011 at 3:47 pm #

Thank you for this great idea! My Grandmother passed from Ovarian Cancer in 2008 and I try to support research as often as possible. I would like to how ever echo some of the comments above regarding size. I am short but curvy and I also often find it difficult to find a dress that doesn’t look to tight but also not frumpy. So if you could please try to find the balance I would greatly appreciate it and would shop at modcloth more often! :)