Fall for Flavor: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Are you ‘pumped-kin’ up for Halloween? Add to the excitement by baking up these indulgent muffins! One of our graphic designers, Erynn, recently ‘trick-or-treated’ the office to her pumpkin and chocolate chip cookies, and I was sold on the sweetly spiced flavor. Many of us in ModCloth’s West Coast offices miss the East Coast fall that California doesn’t offer, but these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins serve up our favorite tastes of autumn and Halloween.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 1 dozen

• 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup canned pureed pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Meanwhile, grease a dozen-sized muffin tin.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Combine milk, oil, sugar, and pumpkin until smooth.
4. Gently mix in half of the dry mix, then half of the milk. Repeat until ingredients are slightly combined.
5. Fold in chocolate chips.
6. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.

I tried to make jack-o-lantern faces in the muffins by arranging chocolate chips in the raw batter after pouring the batter into the muffin cups. The end result didn’t work (sad face). If you want to try something like this, perhaps you could try to arrange the chocolate chips right after removing the muffins from the oven. I’d love to see those muffins smiling!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, , , ,

7 Responses to Fall for Flavor: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1. Ashley 10/26/2011 at 6:17 pm #

Wow, all I’d need is the last four ingredients … Oh, and a muffin tin, lol. Perhaps I’ll give this a go.

2. Angela (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 3:27 pm #

Thanks for the recipe, Madison!

As far as a good muffin tin, I have a confession to make. My favorite one cost $4.99 at Big Lots. It does the job every time.

3. Alicia 10/28/2011 at 2:37 pm #

Reminds me of a personal recipe i have for my own pancake pumpkin chocolate chip cookies! I give them out for birthdays and decorate boxes and etc. I really should find a better name for them though…

4. Lauren Helen 10/28/2011 at 9:34 pm #

NEED to try this – I wonder if I can find a gluten-free alternative out there? Any suggestions for a recipe someone’s tried that ended up tasting delicious?

5. Ash 10/30/2011 at 8:39 am #

I baked a batch of these yesterday in some little mini-muffin tins and took them to a party at my brother’s house. They got DEVOURED. And I definitely recommend using the mini-muffin tin for these! Great for party snacking and you know they’re adorable when even the boys are saying they’re the cutest muffins they’ve ever seen! Haha. I did swap out a little of the whole wheat flour for all purpose flour to make them a bit lighter. They were so delicious. Thanks for posting this recipe :)

6. Kate Putkoski (@kaput3) 11/16/2011 at 7:38 am #

I’m baking these to bring to our family breakfast the day after Thanksgiving… I hope they turn out well!