What We Wear: ModStylist Mandy

We’ve come across a recurring theme in customer comments that has us feeling kinda down…

“I need to stop eating.”

“Too bad I’m short and have stubby legs.”

“My feet are freakishly big.”

“I wish I had smaller boobs!”

Why do these sentiments make us sad? Because we (ModEmployees) are just like you — a spectrum of sizes and shapes! Whether you consider yourself petite, tall, slender, voluptuous, average, or anything else, we think you deserve to look and feel your best with whatever you’ve got today. So, we want to show you how we, in the famous words of Tim Gunn, make it work!

Does the gal above look familiar? You may remember her from our Size of the Times series, or you might have recently chatted her up, or seen her picture on our site. Her name is Mandy, and she’s one of our marvelous ModStylists, and a plus size model, too! Naturally, size, shape, and style are topics she’s quite well-versed in. So, let’s see what makes Mandy feel confident and oh-so-cute!

“At 5’11”, measuring 36”-32”-46”, I am and have always been a tall, curvy gal. Growing up, I listened to my peers talk about extreme diets and exercise, and I was very self-conscious,” Mandy says. “But when a petite girl in college said she was jealous of my body, my perspective changed. I realized that insecurities were a waste of my time!”

Today, Mandy focuses on highlighting what she loves — not what she’d change.

One of her favorite features to show off is her décolletage. “There’s something effortlessly feminine about a pretty top or dress that displays your collarbone,” she says.

Mandy recommends bateau necklines (also known as a “boatneck”) with interesting embellishments, like the Tri Every Angle Tunic above, for a lovely look that highlights your clavicle.

Her second confidence-boosting wardrobe weapon? “A flirty dress with a fitted waist!” Mandy exclaims. “A dress with a tailored top and waist, and a flared skirt is like a figure-flattering no-brainer. Even if you don’t have much of an hourglass shape, it creates one. Belting your outfit is another quick, easy way to create shape, and I also love tying my cardis at the waist, rather than buttoning them, for a cinched-in look.”

Above, Mandy wears the Graceful Greenery Dress, the Charter School Cardigan in Rose, and the Hello, Yellow Brick Road Wedge.

Mandy’s final piece of advice? “Always check the ‘Details’ section of our product descriptions! That’s where you can find the fabric content, which lets you know if there’s any stretch. Plus, it lets you know if a garment fits big or small in any area, and that can help you decide which size will work best!”

Love Mandy’s tips ‘n’ tricks? Then you’ll definitely want to check out her wishlist, which is chock-full of handpicked items that help her feel confidently cute. Or, if you want a li’l one-on-one clothing consultation, you can schedule an appointment with Mandy, or any of our other fabulously fashionable ModStylists right here!

So, do you have a fave outfit that makes you feel your very best? Or, do you want to ask Mandy for a few feel-good fashion pointers? Post your burning questions in the comments section, and she’ll dish out astute advice!

About Natalie

Natalie is a native Pittsburgher who enjoys dinner for breakfast, breakfast for dinner, and Trader Joe's Chocolate Croissants any time. She thinks that a lady can never have too many pairs of boots. She is also a big believer in retail therapy. She'd like to take this opportunity to tell her mother that she thinks she's the most amazing woman ever. Asparagus is her favorite veggie. Green is her favorite color. And last, but not least, Winston holds a very special place in her heart.

90 Responses to What We Wear: ModStylist Mandy

1. carly 10/26/2011 at 10:14 am #

i find it hard to believe that she’s a plus sized model. she looks average sized to me…that just goes to show how society has changed and now her measurements are considered plus sized. it’s really sad…

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/26/2011 at 10:41 am #

Thanks for the comment, Carly! I am a dress size 14 and that is somewhere in the middle of where plus size models range. I also have been this size for most of my teenage/adult life, so I consider myself a pro at dressing myself to help me look my best! However, I do not mind the label of being a ‘plus size’ at all!

2. eyeblinkfashion 10/26/2011 at 10:38 am #

I think it’s sad that so many girls out there focus on their flaws instead of the good! I hate my cankles but there is nothing i can do about them. So instead, i focus on accentuating the parts of me i love!! This sounds so Hallmark but our “flaws” make us unique and if we were all “perfect” there would be some new unattainable definition of the word. Embrace you for you!
    xoxo
    Lauren

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/26/2011 at 10:43 am #

LOVE this comment, thanks so much for sharing this, Lauren! <3 Mandy

3. Cherie 10/26/2011 at 11:01 am #

Mandy, thank you for sharing :) ModCloth really does celebrate girls of all shapes and sizes and as a customer, it is one of the things I like best about shopping on the site. Also, LOVE your style and so happy that you’re a ModStylist!!!

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/26/2011 at 11:05 am #

Hi, Cherie! I am so glad you enjoyed this post! You are so sweet, and I am so glad you love ModCloth as much as I do! <3 Mandy

4. Coco 10/26/2011 at 11:27 am #

I love this post! Thats why I love modcloth GIRL POWER for every girl :)

5. Lori Lynn 10/26/2011 at 11:28 am #

I love the intent of this post and I am a huge fan of Modcloth but I sort of feel like this post missed the mark. Maybe it’s just that I am somewhat the opposite of the model you chose -I’m all bust- but at the same time, was using a model (PS is a 36 bust really plus size?! It’s a M on your size chart!) the best option for addressing real lady insecurities?!

We all come in different shapes and sizes, I’ve spent most of my life trying to accept who I am and what I look like but it is very frustrating to continually look under the measurements of dresses and realize my D cup couldn’t squeeze into most dresses on Modcloth.

Sometimes it’s not always body hate but body frustration. I’d be lying if I hadn’t thought to myself I wish my boobs were smaller, so I could buy the dress I really want.

I just feel like sometimes the negative comments you guys mentioned are real and helpful (I am not talking about the “I need to stop eating” ones but more the “I wish my boobs were smaller” kind) when trying to decide whether or not to buy something. Sometimes I’d like to avoid that horrible OMG it wont zip over my boobs feeling and I can totally empathize with someone whose left a comment stating as such .

Obviously, my perspective is one sided as well, and I’m appreciative of Modcloth’s efforts to have extended sizes and detailed measurements but at the same time I was left with a sour taste in my mouth by the end of reading this post and I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
    I just want to buy the clothes I fall in love with!

XoXo
    Lori

• anne 10/26/2011 at 11:57 am #

I agree 100%

• Natalie (ModCloth) 10/26/2011 at 12:29 pm #

Hi, Lori!

Thanks for your comment! I understand your frustration with Mandy’s bust measurement being considered “plus size”. But, we wanted to include her measurements to help illustrate that, just like everyone else, plus size models come in all shapes and sizes too, and it isn’t just one measurement that defines that. Not to mention, as you pointed out, measurements and body info are really helpful to other gals when they’re trying to decide what will fit best! :)

So, we’re definitely not discouraging you from being honest in your reviews — just the opposite! Honesty is what makes product reviews a valuable tool. We simply believe that there’s a difference between honesty and body-negativity. It’s always helpful to know that a certain size or style didn’t work for someone of a similar size or shape! But, we think that wishing you could change something is not embracing and accepting it as-is, which is why we chose to feature the comments above.

We don’t intend to say Mandy typifies us, either — she’s just one awesome example of how we celebrate our uniqueness! And that’s the message we hope this post conveys — celebrating your uniqueness and letting your confidence shine through is always in style. :)

-Natalie (ModCloth)

• Lori Lynn 10/27/2011 at 6:32 am #

Thanks Natalie,
      I agree, we need to embrace difference, and modcloth does do a better job at that than most stores/sites! Like I said, I am a modcloth LOVER so maybe I just hold you all to a higher standard, either way thanks for a though provoking and inclusive post! XoXo Lori

• Mary Bliden 10/27/2011 at 11:26 am #

I completely agree! I have a large bust and a very short torso, neither of which are accommodated much in ModCloth clothing. I love that everyone behind the site is so down to earth about body image and dressing for every shape, but it would be more helpful if that translated to more plus-sized clothing options. I am very comfortable with my body, I just want to be comfortable with my body in ModCloth clothes!

• Lauren 10/29/2011 at 9:47 am #

I agree. I’m 5’2″, and a 32G. I have a very defined hourglass, and thus far nothing I’ve tried from ModCloth dress or top-wise has ever fit me. I keep trying, holding out hope. My roommate is the same height, but a C, and she’s found some great stuff that works.

6. Brooke 10/26/2011 at 11:28 am #

Hurray for girl power! I think virtually everyone would agree with the sentiments in this article. I’m pretty sure that all girls feel inadequate or less than perfect for some reason at least some of the time. For example, I have always had what my friends and family call a “ghetto booty” and I used to be waaaay self-conscious about it. But now I wear skinny jeans nearly everyday and own some pencil skirts that definitely don’t hide anything going on down there. Now I prefer to think of myself as having the lower half of Jessica Rabbit’s body as opposed to a “bubble butt” or whatever people want to call it. It’s all about perspective – does my derriere have its own freakish presence, or, is it super foxy and voluptuous?

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 8:47 am #

Hi Brooke! I am so glad you embraced your shape! It definitely sounds like you have a great figure! Work it! :) <3 Mandy

7. Eliza 10/26/2011 at 11:44 am #

I think Mandy is just lovely, and she totally knows how to flatter her figure and dress according to her body. I hate it when girls wear clothes that don’t flatter them. It is a lost art! Unflattering clothes can make a pretty girl look bad. I love this article, and I applaud Mandy! Yay Mandy!

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/26/2011 at 11:58 am #

Hi Eliza! Thank you so much for your support! I totally agree, dressing your body correctly is an important part of how you feel! Thanks so much again for the love! <3 Mandy

8. Maria Elyse 10/26/2011 at 12:22 pm #

I loved reading this feature. It was really encouraging and inspiring. ♥ Thanks, Mandy! (I love my collarbone, too!)

xo
    Maria Elyse
    First Impressions
    Flying Ships Vintage

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/26/2011 at 12:51 pm #

Hi Maria!! I am so glad you liked the post, fellow collarbone enthusiast! ;)

• Maria Elyse 10/27/2011 at 10:17 am #

Oh! I was reading the November 2011 issue of Seventeen in my school library earlier this morning, and I totally saw you featured in it! It made me smile, and so I just wanted to let you know. :)

xo
      Maria Elyse

9. Bethany 10/26/2011 at 2:29 pm #

One of the reasons I love modcloth is because of the diversity of the models. So many other clothing sites put me off because all the ladies have no curves, I just can’t relate it to me.
    In any case, I do have a problem knowing what clothes will flatter me! My measurements are 36C/D – 31 – 40 and have, as some people have mentioned a “ghetto booty”. This means that with having a larger front and back fabric tend to hang from both, making me appear larger than I am. Any advice for situations like this?

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 8:44 am #

Hi Bethany!!

Sounds like your body is a similar shape to mine! I try to look for items that really show my waist and kind of flow from there, and it sounds like you could try that too with that tiny waist you have! :) Here is a wishlist of dresses/items that I think would look great on your body! :) http://mod.com/uwggXG

Happy shopping! <3 Mandy

• Bethany 10/27/2011 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks so much for going to that effort for me! :) I’m really loving the ideas on there. <3

10. Michael. 10/26/2011 at 3:19 pm #

Just want to say you look great Mandy.I find plus sized models alot sexier than the skinny ones anyways.I hope I can say that on here to you,

11. Leonie 10/26/2011 at 4:28 pm #

you’re such a beautiful model, and i find it hard to believe that you’d be labelled “plus size”. it’s true that we focus too much on our flaws, i know i do! love how modcloth is so supportive of different shapes and sizes, and totally digging your attitude :)

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 7:14 am #

Hi Leonie!! Thanks so much for the love! :} You’re making me blush! <3 Mandy

12. Sunita 10/26/2011 at 5:20 pm #

You look great, Mandy! I really appreciated this blog entry. I teach Women’s Studies, and it is so hard to hear how they hated their bodies when they were younger. I am hoping a lot of young women see this and understand that we can all be beautiful.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 7:17 am #

Hi Sunita! Your response was exactly what I was hoping people would get out of it! Girl power! :) <3 Mandy

13. Kaylee Nicole 10/26/2011 at 5:36 pm #

I would love to meet this girl! She is soooo inspiring. Being tall as well, “5’10″, and not skinny as a rail has been hard for me. Well, it still is. But she looks so amazing and that just makes me feel silly. I also love how tall those heels are, I wish I had the guts to wear ones this tall.
    Beautiful and amazing, definitely a new role model for myself!

Kaylee
    xx

14. Kylie 10/26/2011 at 6:02 pm #

I love this! Mandy you are so pretty! And you totally inspire me to wear those sky-high heels I love, I’m always really hesitant to wear them because I feel awkwardly tall as it is. I’m 5’6″, but most of my girlfriends I know are under 5’3″. In fact, most of my guy friends are only a few inches taller than me. And you’re so right to say it’s a waste of time to be self-conscious; one time I decided to wear 5 ” heels to school (with a pair of flip flops in my backpack…just in case my feet couldn’t take it), and even though I towered over almost everyone, I got loads of compliments, it made me feel so good :D

So I basically think you’re super cool and a great role model :)

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 7:35 am #

Aw Kylie! Thank you! Never be afraid to rock heels! I am a firm believer that you should wear what you love! <3 Mandy

15. Melanie 10/26/2011 at 7:01 pm #

It would be so lovely if ModCloth carried true plus sizes and featured larger models alongside average sized models (like the absolutely gorgeous Mandy here). As a chubby girl, I often find myself wishing you carried larger sizes (and I can assure you, you’d have a lot of my money if you did). I can see that you’re trying here, but a size 14 (who wears a medium size top) is merely average, which makes this a great post for reaching the average woman, not the larger woman. Emphasizing that she’s a “plus” size doesn’t actually do you any favors. Instead, it further alienates people who truly are.

• Lori Lynn 10/27/2011 at 6:29 am #

I felt exactly the same way-you just put it in a far more concise manner!

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 7:43 am #

Hi Melanie! We are definitely working on providing larger sizes! :) I actually wear a L-XL top because my waist is 32″, which is in the XL area. So I can definitely relate; I also rarely fit into L dresses and bottoms of any kind on ModCloth. Being a plus size model can sometimes be different than being a plus size woman. I am a plus size model, and the fashion industry labels models above a size 8 as being plus sized. :( It is sad, but true. Sorry about all of the confusion! I hope this helps! <333 Mandy

16. unpetitfauve 10/26/2011 at 9:18 pm #

This is a great post! Beauty standards are incredibly destructive. They work to take power away from women by creating feelings of inadequacy, self-hate, and ultimately, powerlessness. Your natural body is beautiful and precious. It cannot be judged by others. Loving your own body is a beautiful act of rebellion and of agency.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 7:46 am #

Thank you so much for this comment, it is SO true. You rock! <3 Mandy

17. Lenora 10/26/2011 at 10:39 pm #

I am a size 16/18 and am just now learning how to dress my body. I have always been the ‘bigger’ girl out of alot of people I knew. I was really hard on myself because I did not look like them. I am now 21 and learning to love my shape. I mean curves are the word! lol. Although, I have a slightly awkward shape.

I was wondering what would flatter a full bust ( 42 DD). I believe I am a pear/apple shape?

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 12:53 pm #

Hi Lenora! I am so glad you are starting to love your curves! I made a wishlist of items that I think you would enjoy! http://mod.com/sTAeSn Happy Shopping! <3 Mandy

• Lenora 10/27/2011 at 10:04 pm #

I love the selection you picked out…. <3

18. Jan (@Yawnbearg) 10/26/2011 at 11:39 pm #

Does Mandy have her own blog? This was such a short post. I need more!

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 7:47 am #

Hi Jan! I actually do have my own personal blog! It is thecurvymodel.com! Check it out! <3 Mandy

19. BROKEN.WHIMSY 10/27/2011 at 7:06 am #

What an incredibly lovely post this is =) I’m certain every girl has insecurities that peep out every so often and its always nice to have a reminder to embrace the features that we do have. I think the most important piece of this was the reminder itself… just re-freshing girls’ minds into seeing the ;larger picture’ as it were ^_^

Eeli

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 7:49 am #

Hi Eeli! Thank you so much for the blog post love!! I am glad you see the bigger picture! ;) <3 Mandy

20. Jennee 10/27/2011 at 10:49 am #

I loved this article! Mandy is so beautiful and I am inspired now to work with what I have, amd not be so harsh on myself. I LOVE the clothes Mandy is wearing in the photos, also. Defibetly an awesome sense of style (:

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 12:54 pm #

Hi Jennee!! I am so glad you enjoyed the article! Stay confident, lady! <3 Mandy

21. Sara 10/27/2011 at 10:56 am #

I’m so glad you guys posted this! I have exactly the same measurements as Mandy (except for the height – I’m 5’3″) and knowing that I can get away with a large on most things instead of an extra large is amazing. It opens up a whole lot more things than I thought I could wear! Thank you!

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 12:56 pm #

Yay! Yea, I mean it depends on the item, but I can typically fit into a large! I prefer a XL mostly because I like more of a loose fit! :) <3 Mandy

22. Kim 10/27/2011 at 11:08 am #

I appreciate the intention behind this post, but really, it’s akin to trying to stop a moving train by throwing yourself in front of it. Our culture is thoroughly saturated with the Impossible Beauty Standard–the woman who is air brushed, Photoshopped, nipped, tucked, botoxed, primped, primed, and starving. It’s on the television, in the movies, on the magazine covers and catalogs, and in the shop windows at the mall. Women’s magazines, brimming with these plastic-looking girls, will often hypocritically throw in the meaningless, token article on “embracing yourself for who you are!” while, on the next page, provide instructions for dieting, fighting aging, and achieving a perfect rear end. In my opinion, it’s a bit useless to promote self-acceptance without simultaneously having an honest discussion about the suffocating pressures put on women to have the perfect body and how we can resist.

• Natalie (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 2:39 pm #

Hi Kim,

You bring up some really fantastic points, and I not only understand what you’re saying, I agree. Unrealistic images of women are unavoidable in today’s society. I actually addressed just that, and much of what you bring up above, in a previous post: http://blog.modcloth.com/2010/01/25/size-of-the-times-part-i/

Please check it out if you have a chance. We’d love to continue the dialogue, because this is an issue we’re passionate about. It absolutely needs and deserves more than a band-aid fix!

-Natalie (ModCloth)

23. Liz 10/27/2011 at 11:17 am #

Body love is such a good thing. SO, so good. I’ve struggled with poor body image for years because my chest is very large in relation to the rest of my body and it makes me feel very un-sexy and freakish. (seriously. I can’t find 32G bras anywhere but the internet)

I’ve recently made the decision to get breast reduction surgery this winter and just knowing that my bust is not permanent has made me appreciate it so much more. I can love my chest knowing that it will love me back very soon. <3

If we're talking about body love, I've always loved my legs. They're long for my height (5'4", 32 inch inseam aw yea) and rather thin, but they're starting to get more shapely as I get older which I like. I like my belly, too. I have a small waist but a poochy tummy that I don't think will ever go away no matter how little I weigh. My shoulders are broad and dignified and my neck is long and slender and IT FEELS SO WEIRD TYPING ALL OF THIS because as women we are taught that we can't be confident in our looks because that means we're stuck up.

But I think if the opposite of being "stuck up" means hating ourselves, I'll take arrogant and snooty any day.

I really really appreciate that you included "I wish I had smaller boobs" into your list of body gripes. It means a lot to busty ladies like me who are insecure about their chest.

We're all pretty wonderful creatures, I think. And if you're reading this, you are awesome exactly the way you are. None of us are perfect and WOW that is so okay.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 1:06 pm #

Wow, thanks so much for sharing this Liz! This comment was absolutely inspiring and awesome. Keep on lovin’ your body! :) <3 Mandy

• Jacki 10/31/2011 at 9:41 am #

Hi Liz,
      Just wanted to reply because I was struck by a few of your comments. First, Nordstroms carries a wide range of bras that they precisely measure you for. I am currently a 32H and have never had to shop on the internet. Secondly, breast reduction may sound like a life saver, but I have met several women who have had it and regret it. They agree the smaller breast size is nice, but the amount of pain they suffered, the cost, and the fact that many still suffer side effects and total loss of feeling has made it more trouble than it was worth. In fact, their experiences convinced me not to consider breast reduction surgery. Embrace your body, find some beautiful bras that fit and feel good, and don’t try to surgically alter what’s natural!

24. Julie 10/27/2011 at 11:17 am #

I have always admired collarbones! I’d just need to find the right bra to wear with that type of shirt.
    My body is hard to dress on account of my broad shoulders, wide rib cage, and hips/stomach/rear. My spine seems to have an extreme curve, pushing out my stomach more and leaving my back quire arched. I was always the skinny girl growing up, and once I graduated high school a few years ago, I have really begun to fill out. It’s difficult to come to grips with.
    I’m technically “plus size” as a 12/14, though I am a 36A-34-44.

I love seeing plus size models and confident “larger” or average women embracing what they have NOW, rather than hating what they have or wanting what they don’t. So thanks for this post! <3

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 1:14 pm #

Yes I totally hear you! Finding the right bra can be tricky, but once you do the options are endless! :) I am so glad you enjoyed the post, Julie! <3 Mandy

25. Katherine 10/27/2011 at 11:17 am #

I’m actually wearing one of my feel-good pieces today, which has inspired me to comment! I’d always disliked the curvy physique I got from my mom’s side of the family and my love of junk food, so when I went away to college I vowed I would change. I ate better, worked out, and lost a total of 20 lbs by the end of my freshman year. I was still curvy, not stick-thin, so I didn’t really *feel* like I’d lost any weight– I looked the same to me, my old clothes still kind of fit…
    One day I went shopping and decided to get new jeans because of a sale the store was having. I grabbed a size lower than I was used to, thinking it would be enough of a difference. I ended up going down 4 more sizes before I found jeans that fit snugly! It was a great moment for me, and now those jeans are my go-to item of clothing. They highlight my curves in a good way, and actually make me happy that I have some definition. Maybe the whole world doesn’t see what a difference a simple pair of jeans makes, but I smile every time I catch myself in a mirror when I wear them– something I never did before.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 1:22 pm #

Hey Katherine! Great comment! I think it is important that EVERYONE has a clothing item that makes them feel like smiling. :) <3 Mandy

26. Katelyn Hamilton 10/27/2011 at 11:19 am #

Mandy,

I’m a size 14 as well… big boobs, big butt. Finding clothes that fit properly is always frustrating! On the flip side, I honestly love every piece of your style and your advice!You are a wonderful representative that shows gals that suffer from the ever-lasting “why do I look like this?” that appearance isn’t based on a number. Sexy is sexy… and it doesn’t matter if you’re a size 00 to whatever. I can’t tell you how uncomfortable I was growing up- being, as what I thought was large compared to other girls, was a 14. Thank you for being you and not some airbrushed picture, you’re an inspiration to me.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 1:30 pm #

:) Thanks so much Katelyn! That was really sweet of you to say! I am so glad you enjoyed the post! <3 Mandy

27. Heather Douglas 10/27/2011 at 11:30 am #

Does anyone know of a site where you can get tips based on your measurements? I had always been a size 5 until I had my son a year and a half ago. While most of me expanded, my chest went back to normal rather quickly. Now I’m lost trying to reinvent my sense of style in a way that is size appropriate. It’s truly like being set adrift… :S

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Heather!! You should definitely set up a styling appointment with one of the ModStylists! We give lots of advice that is either related to how to dress your shape or just styling up outfits!! Make an appointment here: http://www.modcloth.com/modstylists
      <3 Mandy

28. Kristina 10/27/2011 at 11:40 am #

I love ModCloth’s stuff, but I can wear maybe 10% of it (I’m about Mandy’s size, with a slightly larger bust and waist). It’s great that you guys espouse the ideas Mandy expresses here. I just wish that you’d walk the walk a little more.

• Penny 10/27/2011 at 11:47 am #

Thank you, I agree completely. I did the math, they have 80 tops for plus size women out of 770 tops total. Thats not fair! And of that 80, 62 are for sizes XL which isn’t really a plus size anyways.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 1:37 pm #

Hi Kristina! ModCloth stocks their items in all the sizes available from the manufacturers, and they are always trying to increase their offerings. Though manufacturers and artists are always increasing the number of products available in XL and up, ModCloth grab’s them when they can. However, it may still be a while before they’re able to offer most of the clothing in those sizes. Please know that ModCloth does keep this concern in mind when looking for new items to launch on the site. :) <3 Mandy

• Kristina 10/28/2011 at 5:53 pm #

I straight up do not believe that ModCloth could only find 2 coats/jackets/whatever in 1x+ if you were actually trying. That just doesn’t seem possible to me. I KNOW that there is more out there for people my size, because there are lots of people my size. We’ve been voicing these opinions for so long – I can’t help but think they’re falling on deaf ears.

29. Maggie 10/27/2011 at 11:44 am #

I love this post too! I’m tall (6′) with broad shoulders, but I always find something at modcloth that really make me feel cute and feminine. I love how your look books showcase women of all sizes and i can see what might really work for me, and not a typical “model”. I love knowing that Mandy is so tall too, now when I see her modeling things I’ll keep that in mind.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 1:40 pm #

Hi Maggie! Thanks for this comment! Yes, if you see me style up a look for myself through the ModStylists then you know what fits me well! :) Also, if you haven’t already, check out the longer lengths section: http://mod.com/cTEwo8! I live by this category! <3 Mandy

30. Penny 10/27/2011 at 11:45 am #

I agree that we should focus on the aspects of ourselves we love. It does seem weird though to have a plus size model (and girl you look fabulous and do not look plus size to me at all) talking for a clothing line that does not serve plus size people very well. Modcloth has 770 tops listed, none of those tops showed up for sizes 16, 4x, or 14, only 5 choices popped up for size 3x, only 7 for size 2x, 6 for size 1x, and 62 for xl, but lets be honest most size xl these days are not going to fit an actual plus size person. So out of 770 tops only 80 could be considered plus size. I did the same for the other clothing choices too. Out of 229 outerwears listed only 54 listed for xl and 1 listed for 2x and no others for any larger sizes. For bottoms, 322 total, 1 for 3x, 2 for 2x, 3 for 1x and 20 for xl. For dresses, 1847 total, 1 for size 16, 12 for size 14, 5 for size 4x, 32 for size 3x, 40 for 2x, 30 for 1x, and 300 for xl but again I don’t really consider that a plus size. I check modcloth all the time because I love the looks of the clothing but it is all just dreaming because until they get real and become fair I will never be able to fit in the clothes I like. I want equal choices to the skinny women. I am a size 16/2xl sometimes 14/1xl depending on the brands. Equality and fairness would be nice……

• Kim 10/27/2011 at 2:36 pm #

Wow, you point out some great facts. Good for you for crunching the numbers.

• Natalie (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 2:52 pm #

We hear what you’re saying, ladies! Since we don’t actually manufacture clothing, unfortunately we don’t control over the sizing models used, or size runs that are produced.

In lieu of going over tons of info here, which could get pretty lengthy, I encourage you to check out another post from our “Size of the Times” series, which discusses sizing issues and provides insight into how the fashion industry works: http://blog.modcloth.com/2010/01/29/size-of-the-times-part-iii/

-Natalie (ModCloth)

31. Grace 10/27/2011 at 12:52 pm #

‘What makes a plus size model’ debates play right into the hands of all that ‘society pressures’ talk a few of you mentioned. Mandy doesn’t mind what she’s called, and no one should be comparing themselves against others anyway to check if they’re plus sized or not!

It is unfortunate there isn’t a bigger range of sizes here but I guess that’s a discussion modcloth will need to have with their suppliers and the designers of whose clothes they stock.

I’m short, and a definite pear – my favourite jeans don’t fit me at the moment but I am loving all the 50s style dresses at the moment. They play into my strong suit!

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/27/2011 at 3:15 pm #

Hi Grace! Thanks for making a great point! :) Keep on rocking the awesome 50′s dresses, I bet they look rad on your awesome figure! <3 Mandy

32. Jess 10/27/2011 at 2:06 pm #

This is a great subject, and props to Mandy. What a lovely person, inside and out.

However, I do have to say that it’s hard to have body love when you see a dress upon dress on ModCloth you absolutely adore…but it is not offered in plus sizes, or petites, or tall.

I have a hunch that some of those negative comments are in at least a small part rooted in the disappointment a customer feels when she realizes she’s outside the “norm” as ModCloth has defined it (and “norm” is defined quite narrowly in ModCloth sizes). I’ve felt that way many times.

I know business is business, you have to work with manufacturers and that means limitations in sizing. But I feel this blog post rings false when you compare it to ModCloth’s inventory. If this declaration of body love is really something you want to embrace as a company, then like other commenters said, it’s time for ModCloth to “walk the walk” and offer many more items in plus sizes, petites, and tall sizes.

33. Kara 10/27/2011 at 8:11 pm #

I really love this post – and all of the awesome discussion it inspired. Mandy, you and I have very similar measurements…my height was always a struggle in high school (I’m 5’9 and was that height at age 12). But over time I came to terms with my height and rock 5 inch heels with the best of them!

I agree that societal pressure is overwhelming, and a lot of people have commented that the idea of “embrace yourself” is a drop in the bucket in the ocean of negative female body image. But we have to start somewhere ladies! Maybe we can’t change the photo of a model in a magazine, but we can make a conscious choice to look at ourselves and not see the negatives. For me, I focus on the fact that I love my legs, even though I’m busty (36D) I love my chest and have found ways to work it, and I’ve learned through time how to dress so I feel awesome and don’t focus on my flaws.

One thing I did (which might help others?) is I consciously stopped saying “my boobs are too big for that dress” or “I’m way to tall to make that skirt work” and started saying “that DRESS isn’t right for me. It puts the responsibility on the clothes – not on us! I also started to learn how to sew….suddenly those things that might not have worked have all kinds of possibilities. I can add a panel to accommodate my awesome bust or add a ribbon trim to the bottom of a mini to add an inch or two. I also started making my own dresses and skirts, because of you can’t find what you want – make it! The added bonus was that I was In a fabulous sewing class with amazing, inspiring, creative women ranging from 18 to 60 years old (with a range of body types) – they were all so amazing in their own way. I say let’s find a creative outlet for some of our clothing frustrations. I may not be ready for Project Runway, but I can see something cute and make it my own.

The bottom line – Mandy, more than anything I find your body acceptance and awesome style inspiring. Whatever the world or the modeling industry labels you, you make your own definition of size and that rocks. =)

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/31/2011 at 1:47 pm #

Hi Kara! Societal pressure is overwhelming indeed. I am so glad you agree that we need to start somewhere! I am also excited that you are learning how to make items work, even if they do take a little TLC from your hand craft abilities. Stay awesome lady. <3 Mandy

34. Marina 10/27/2011 at 11:51 pm #

I really wish you carried coats and jackets in longer sizes. Most of your clothes fit me in XL, but I’ve ordered so many jackets and had to return them after not being able to even get my arms through the sleeves, or the coat over my shoulders. So many of the jackets you carry are beautiful and every time I see a new jacket, especially if it’s available in XL, I get excited an then remember that it won’t actually fit me.

35. kiwigal 10/28/2011 at 4:08 pm #

I’ve really appreciated reading everyone’s comments here. What bothers me, though, is the juniors sizing used on this site. I am 27 and in “grown up” sizing I wear a size S or a 4-6 (stores like Gap, J-Crew, Banana Republic etc). But on Modcloth I wear a L most of the time. I don’t like the subconscious reinforcement from ModCloth clothing that I am “large”. I am not large by any standard. But my closet of size large ModCloth dresses has got me feeling like I need to lose weight. When you’re used to being a small, you feel uncomfortable wearing a large. I’m not from the US and I had never encountered juniors sizing before living in NYC. In my country, sizing it much more standardised. Can anyone explain why fashionable clothing in the US is sized so much smaller than conservative clothes?

36. Lauren 10/29/2011 at 10:03 am #

I like the point this post was making, but I really think it needs to be taken to the next level for me to get on board. Girls do come in all shapes and sizes…but I’ve never found something on here that IS my shape and size. I’m 5’2″, with a 32G bra. My measurements are 39″, 28″, 38″. I’m a squashed hourglass. I don’t hate my body at all, it’s just that almost every clothing manufacturer seems to. I accepted a long time ago that I will have to shorten straps and take up trouser-legs, but when I see these posts I still imagine that I’m being left out of them.

Every dress I’ve bought from ModCloth has been adorable, but none of them have fit, even if I’ve looked at measurements. My fairy-weight roommate (who still contends with a C-cup) can wear 75% of what she buys. Anything she sends back is because of her bust-size.

I’m sure there’s something out there that will fit me, but by the seventh time I’ve clicked on a dress and found in the comments that it doesn’t fit busty girls, I tend to give up and stop shopping. I love the accessories here, but that’s not why I joined the site. I want the adorable dresses.

What I would find more heartening as a member of the “Other Other Size Group” is to see things categorized by shape. Hourglass, top-heavy, pear, and willow. That would save me a lot of time–that would make me believe a little better that the designers here are thinking of and designing for all body-types.

37. Liz 10/30/2011 at 5:07 pm #

I am a HUGE Modcloth fan, and also (genuinely) plus sized, at something like 45-35/36-45. Usually a 2x, size 16-18. 40DD. I love my body and am very confident, first of all.

Mandy is quite beautiful, but I couldn’t fit into several items she wears in these photos, and many items on her wish list. It feels to me like that by discussing the concept of “we’re all totally beautiful, regardless of weight/shape/ect.” and pairing it with photos of a model who can wear straight-sized clothing and has a desirable figure, you’re sort of enforcing the problem. Yes, you’re beautiful, and here’s some pictures of a conventionally appealing and beautiful woman who’s telling you that.

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/31/2011 at 1:42 pm #

Hi, Liz!
      It is so good to hear that you are confident in the size you are at, because that’s what we are trying to inspire! Confidence is key to looking and feeling your best. I also don’t fit into everything on ModCloth, but my wishlist is a group of items that do fit me well and make me feel my best! However, every body is different, so they may not all work for you. If you’re looking for items that would best fit your figure, try contacting the ModStylists! We can give you style advice and help you find fashions that will make you feel fab. :) http://mod.com/fzk6kJ <3 Mandy

38. Solange 10/31/2011 at 3:47 am #

I enjoyed reading the article and ALL your replies, girls (and occasional boys)!
    I’ve always been very insecure about my body.
    Here’s another article on the subject.
    I love what this girl is saying, unfortunately upon seeing her picture and discovering she’s actually quite the skinny girl, I thought her argument was somewhat falling appart.
    Any thoughts?

39. Hannah 10/31/2011 at 8:58 am #

Thanks Mandy, this post is really inspiring. I have always been a tall, curvy girl too and you are such a great role model (no pun intended :D)

• Mandy (ModCloth) 10/31/2011 at 1:45 pm #

Hi Hannah, I am so glad you have been inspired by this post my fellow tall/curvy lady! Keep being awesome. <3 Mandy

40. Tabitha 11/07/2011 at 5:51 pm #

Hey Mandy,Loved your post, I’m a 5’7” measurements 36”, 30”, 40” girl. Any suggestions that will help me look in the mirror and feel super confident in an outfit made just for me?

• Mandy (ModCloth) 11/09/2011 at 12:21 pm #

Hi Tabitha! It sounds like you have a similar shape to me! Here is a wishlist that I made for items that make me feel super confident when looking in the mirror: http://mod.com/vQiRp9

However, if you would like to set up a styling consultation with a ModStylist they can make an outfit around any item you choose that you like, the more details you give on your style the better! http://www.modcloth.com/modstylists <3 Mandy

41. Nicole O 12/01/2011 at 8:11 pm #

Great post! I have also been reading Mandy’s personal blog and love it. I think what people need to understand is that this post is promoting body acceptance, not necessarily just plus sized acceptance. I had eating disorders for 7 years growing up, but at 21 I sad enough is enough and I worked hard to learn to love my body as it is, no matter what. At 28, I am 5’4″ between 130 and140 pounds (can’t be quite sure, I threw out my scale) I feel like I am more beautiful than I have ever been. I now have a fashion blog of my own celebrating my shape and the clothes I love. My younger self would never believe that I could feel this good about my body at any size!

I am also quite chesty and have a booty (measurements 38D-28-40) and I have no problem finding Modcloth clothes that fit. You just need to listen to reviewers-I always look for the dresses that reviewers say have plenty of room in the chest and put back anything that says it wouldn’t flatter a bigger bust. Also MC has a great return policy if you don’t get what you were expecting.

42. Nicole O 12/01/2011 at 8:21 pm #

Also, part of body acceptance is accepting and celebrating all types of bodies, not just ones that look like our own. I know beautiful women in all shapes and sizes, and I can appreciate their beauty without jealousy or putting down my own shape.

Fighting your shape is a sad waste of time. I have (counting) 10 (maybe more) Modcloth pieces that I feel really help me celebrate and show off my shape. I have also bought dresses for my sisters (each with different shapes than mine) and they look just as beautiful.

I am exited the Modcloth will be carrying larger sizes soon. Fashion and looking great should be for everyone!