Hey, Sugar! A DIY Lip Exfoliator Sweet Enough to Eat

Our Ingredi-antique Measuring Spoons made for the perfect mixing tool!

Simply mix, apply to lips in a circular motion, and wipe this tasty concoction off with a tissue for completely kissable lips. Easy as pie, right? Well, it’s surely as sweet! Shana and Elizabeth of Fox & Doll Makeup shared this delectable DIY with us, so you can learn how-to prep your pout before applying the lip colors you love.

Shana popped into ModCloth’s San Francisco office to teach us Lip Care 101:

Why exfoliate your lips?
It’s going to make lipstick go on with a nice smooth and even texture. Exfoliating the top layer of the skin before applying lipstick exposes a new soft surface, and it hydrates at the same time. Exfoliating now, as we head into cooler months, is especially important because your skin tends to be drier during the winter.

Is natural always better?
Nothing beats mixing something special at home, but it depends on the person and the products they use. Folks can have different reactions to different ingredients, even if they’re natural. There are some great synthetic ingredients out there that are not irritating and non-clogging, though — you just have to choose a product line that uses reputably sourced ingredients. Also, when making your own concoctions, remember that they don’t last as long since they lack preservatives, so make small batches, and note smell and texture.

Any more tips for keeping ‘em kissable throughout the year?
Keep a hydrating lip balm by your bed at night and put it on right before you go to sleep. Look for something non-petroleum based. Shea butter- or cocoa butter-based is your best bet. Also, whenever you find a product you like that has SPF in it, go for it! It can be a tough thing to find, but fortunately, just putting color on your lips blocks the sun a bit by itself. Think of red lipstick as a semi-block from the sun!

Shana & Elizabeth’s best overall beauty tip:
There really are no rules! You can make anything work with the right style and confidence.

Craving more ModBeauty Tips? Check out Annie‘s easy Twiggy-inspired makeup post, or watch our pin-up makeup tutorial video.

Guest Blogger Photo props to Portraits To The People.

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , , ,

41 Responses to Hey, Sugar! A DIY Lip Exfoliator Sweet Enough to Eat

1. Julianne (ModCloth) 10/28/2011 at 1:24 pm #

I was lucky enough to try this little recipe at the ModOffice, and it really is works! The best part is that you know each ingredient you’re using is natural. :)

• Shana 10/31/2011 at 8:55 pm #

So happy you like it, Julianne! Hope your continuing to mix it up at home. And see my suggestions below to Anna, get creative!

2. Angela 10/28/2011 at 1:37 pm #

“You can make anything work with the right style and confidence.” -I love that! You ladies rock!

• Shana 10/31/2011 at 8:52 pm #

You are so sweet! Truly style words to live by. -Shana

3. thevintagepost 10/28/2011 at 5:35 pm #

This is great because my lips get super dry…not just in the winter, but year round! I’ll try this out because I’m always looking for natural ways to get my lips soft – and this looks perfect!

4. Lauren Helen 10/28/2011 at 9:33 pm #

I worry that it will smell so good that I might just end up eating it x)

5. Sydney 10/28/2011 at 9:46 pm #

We sell edible lip scrub at my work (LUSH Cosmetics) but I never thought of making it myself. Might have to try it.

6. Karen 10/29/2011 at 6:26 pm #

Can this be stored in a container to use whenever needed?

7. Becky 10/31/2011 at 10:26 am #

I’m definitely going to have to give this a try–my lips are perpetually chapped, even in the warm weather this year. And since my main job is teaching flute lessons, it’s especially bad because I’m constantly blowing air out over them in my own practicing and when I’m helping my students! The Burt’s Bees just doesn’t seem to be keeping up lately. I’m also wondering about Karen’s question– could a larger batch be mixed up to use for a couple of days? I don’t want to waste the leftovers if I don’t have to!

• Shana 10/31/2011 at 8:51 pm #

Becky – You need this! The Burt’s Bees is likely a waxy formula, which protects but isn’t what you really need for hydration. Find a new lip treatment for yourself, hopefully with a shea butter base. Once you exfoliate your new lip balm will penetrate your lips and actually hydrate them! And you will be so happy! -Shana

8. Anna (Modcloth) 10/31/2011 at 12:55 pm #

I don’t have any honey @ home, so I’m going to try this recipe w/Agave :)!

• Shana 10/31/2011 at 8:42 pm #

Great idea! I change it up all the time. Last I used Coconut Oil mixed with Coconut Sugar a friend brought back from Hawaii, my favorite combo so far! I suggest trying different mixtures, you need to have at least one part that moisturizes (oils and butters) and one that exfoliates (sugar or sea salt). have fun experimenting!

9. Shana 10/31/2011 at 8:36 pm #

We are so loving all your comments! -Fox & Doll Makeup

10. Margaret 12/30/2011 at 4:01 pm #

This works amazingly well!!! The natural ingredients are great on my sensitive skin. This leaves my lips smooth and supple. A great recipe!

11. christie 01/09/2012 at 8:06 pm #

this is da bomb! When my lips get dry , I don’t have the patience to use lip balm for days and days to correct the situation. So voila, after using this yummy lip exfoliator, my lips were in kissbale condition. I thank you and my boyfriend thanks you too! You ladies rock!

12. Michelle 01/19/2012 at 10:46 am #

Love this!! I can’t wait to try it. My lips are super dry! Do you have any suggestions/recipes for a DIY Shea butter or coconut oil lip balm?

• Shana Astrachan 10/30/2012 at 11:24 pm #

Yes! Use 1 part Shea butter, 1 part coco butter, and 1 part oil. Then melt in microwave or double boiler. Add some vitamin e oil and a few drops of essential oil (citrus works great). Pour into a jar or tin. Easy!

13. Monika 01/28/2012 at 7:36 pm #

found you on pinterest and raved about this on my blog : http://pinspirationblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/lip-exfoliator-wow.html

thanks for the excellent tip!

• foxanddoll 10/30/2012 at 11:25 pm #

How sweet! Thank you for sharing Monika!

14. Jessica 02/07/2012 at 6:30 am #

why not use petrolum based products?

• foxanddoll 10/30/2012 at 11:33 pm #

Hi Jessica,
      On a basic level petroleum does not moisturize, it only seals a barrier on the skin. So what happens is it doesn’t allow the skin to breath, which is essential for its proper functioning. Long term results from using petroleum based products are slowing down skin function and normal cell development, resulting in premature aging of the skin and other skin concerns and disorders. Do you know what petroleum is? A petrochemical pollutant derived from crude oil. Does that sound like something you want on your skin!

Shana
      -Fox & Doll

15. Mrs. R 03/01/2012 at 3:03 pm #

Just made this with the girls and we want to eat it up! P.S. it is really tasty on crackers!

16. Deanna 03/09/2012 at 12:14 pm #

I love this idea. All natural is the only way to go. Thanks its super easy to make.

17. Jennifer Keller 10/20/2012 at 3:22 pm #

I have used something similar to this for facial exfoliation. Brown sugar and coconut oil. I dared my son to eat some. He felt weird but he liked it. (I scooped some out so it wasnt tainted)

18. Ally 11/12/2012 at 10:00 pm #

My lips were so super soft after just one try of this! I followed it up with some Alba Botanica coconut oil based lip gloss… Amazing!

19. Camilla 11/26/2012 at 6:07 pm #

This is so amazinga mainly because its natural but also it really works!!!

20. Claire Contreras 12/02/2012 at 7:57 pm #

Hi! I love Lush’s lip scrubs but I’ve been dying to make my own so I tried this out because I had all the ingredients at home. Just one question, Lush’s lib scrub is more dry and sugary. In this equal parts recipe the scrub has more of a liquidy consistency. Is that how it’s supposed to be? I also used white sugar instead of brown. I kept adding more but the honey and olive oil are hard to beat so it remained pretty liquidy. It tastes great and softens and exfoliates well just wondering if the liquidy consistency is correct.

Thanks!

21. engl 12/16/2012 at 12:57 pm #

Omg so soft! I substituted apricot kernel oil. I have quite chapped lips whatever the season may be and I think I was caught in the cycle of never ending balms that made your lips soft, but an hour later they became cracked…

I think I will have to buy some Shea and coco butter to make my own balm as was commented above. I’ve started going more all natural with my cleanser and moisturizers this year and slowly switching things in my daily routine. Thanks for this post, as I will be replacing one more synthetic product with a DIY chemical free one :)

22. Anita 12/19/2012 at 9:18 am #

I have many lip lines on my lips and after researching I found out that I would need to exfoliate my lips so I will be trying this. How often should one exfoliate the lips? And will exfoliating help with the lip lines I have?

23. Michelle 01/10/2013 at 10:25 am #

Thanks for sharing. This really works and is good for you. Try adding essential oils for added health benefits. Both geranium and lavender are tissue regenerative. Wild orange and cinnamon are anti-septic and anti-bacterial.

24. Keely 01/12/2013 at 10:05 am #

Can you store this?

25. Jenna 02/18/2013 at 2:42 pm #

could I use vegetable oil?

26. Nay's Tutus 04/14/2013 at 12:42 pm #

I didn’t have olive oil, so i used coconut oil and brown sugar… it was delicious.. lol it worked great.

27. Chapped 07/05/2013 at 3:36 am #

Coconut oil is now my fav, I used to make it with olive oil but the smell of coconut is amazing! Beautiful photos and great recipie. Thank you so much.

28. nic 10/22/2013 at 6:52 pm #

Where would I go about purchasing Shea Butter? Is there a specific type of store that sells it or website? Or aisle i should be looking in? Thanx

29. sandra 02/02/2014 at 6:40 pm #

how long can i keep the scrub for ? does it start to go bad (rot) after a period of time ?

30. Honey Dust 05/13/2014 at 7:57 am #

Love this!! I recently started a blog on home remedies, natural living, and DIY beauty, if you’re interested here’s the link: http://www.honeydustblog.com :) Hope you like it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModCloth Blog » Blog Archive » A Vintage-Inspired Makeup Look By Fox & Doll - 12/09/2011

[…] sparkling personality and your dazzling outfit, then you’ve come to the right blog post! Shana of Fox & Doll shows you how she created the elegant cat eye liner and bright, bold lips of one of the fabulous […]

2. DIY Lip Exfoliator | Home and Heart DIY - 09/25/2013

[…] What a delectable DIY.  This and a great lip balm are going to make it a great winter for your lips! Go check it out!- Story by Modcloth […]