Before the Modster Mash…

Happy Halloween! As you know, we ModEmployees love a good costume, so we couldn’t resist raising one more Halloween-y hurrah by sharing our most memorable costumes from when we were kids.

Above, on the left, our Writing Development Editor Hannah showed that she was truly wise beyond her years in her “old man” costume.

Then, we have Product Manager Fiona in the dramatic role of The Phantom of the Opera’s Christine Daaé. “When I was in preschool, I told my mom I wanted to be Christine for Halloween,” Fiona says. “She was able to convince me that this prom dress from Goodwill was the perfect Christine dress. Here’s the best part: On Halloween morning, I flew to Washington, DC to spend the holiday with my cousins . . . in this outfit.”

Meanwhile, writer Laura Beth dug up this old gem from 1987, when she and her brother went as Smurfs. “My grandmother, who did therapeutic clowning for years, always did our makeup!” she says.

Finally, we have this clownish photo of our videographer, Jon, who says he doesn’t remember this costume at all and can’t explain why he’s wearing a clown face with an Indiana shirt and jeans.

Also a vision in white was Molly, our Fashion Writing Team Lead. “I was going as Juliet from the epically angsty ’90s  Romeo + Juliet, but just look like a Christmas tree topper,” says Molly.

Aren’t they all adorable? Now, you tell us: What was your best Halloween costume as a kid? And, what are you going as today?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, ,

7 Responses to Before the Modster Mash…

1. Lori Lynn 10/31/2011 at 10:58 am #

I’ve been Dorothy from the Wiz of Oz all weekend, I think I’m modifying my outfit just slightly today to be Wednesday Addams and my poochie is going to be a unicorn! <3 I did a old school outfit post on my blog today!!! I love looking at old school costume photos. My fave ever was probably my Barbie and the Rockers costume! Hello 4 year old with hot pink hair!

• Jenn (ModCloth) 10/31/2011 at 11:02 am #

No way! I’m dressed as Wednesday Addams today as well! :)

2. Kalia 10/31/2011 at 12:35 pm #

I think my best Halloween costume as a kid was when I was in 5th grade. My friends and I (trying to be creative) decided to go as the elements (earth, air, wind, fire etc) of course there were to many of us so we had to make up elements haha. In the end out of the ten of us who were supposedly going to dress up as the elements, only me and one of my friends ended up doing it. So for the rest of the night I had to explain to parents that I was not dressed up as an angel I was air, I’m sure they thought that I’d had a bit to much candy. This year I’m going as a devil for Halloween, except I think I’m going to be Totoro for a party (I stole the idea from my little sister).

3. nina 11/01/2011 at 2:57 pm #

My parents once dressed me as a lamp for Halloween: a construction paper tube with wire straps and a cord sticking out of the middle + old lampshade stuck in my head with the help of my thick, thick hair! Carry a flashlight to give the impression that you are “on” and done!

Everyone loved it but it was impossible to sit down in it!

4. Lauren Helen 11/01/2011 at 3:25 pm #

Last year me and a group of people were the Ghostbusters and ghosts! The ghosts would go up first, and the people would roll their eyes “That’s original, a bedsheet ghost,” then we would start the theme from our portable speakers, come up, chase away the ghosts, and demand candy as payment. We had requests for encores! Best costume, EVER.

5. Suzanne 11/02/2011 at 5:02 pm #

The best costume I had when I was younger was when my friend and I dressed up as Nancy Kerrigan (me) and Tonya Harding (her.) We wore real skating costumes and walked around in figure skates. I had a bloodied knee and she had a foam bat. It was pretty funny :)
    My best costume recently had to be when my boyfriend and I dressed up as Titanic victims. I wore a long, lace dress and wore an antique necklace and purse. He wore a suit and a mustache :) We wore white confetti in our hair (like ice), pale “dead” make-up, and both wore life rings. I have to say, I’ve never seen anybody else wear that costume at least! :D

6. shop prom dresses 01/04/2012 at 5:01 am #

Getting the right dress usually starts with shopping intelligently. To shop intelligently doesn’t mean simply shopping for price. It has to do with being able to tell quality from not, whether in the workmanship of your formal dresses, or in the richness of their fabric.