Obsolete Fashion: Muff-ling the Cold

As someone whose lemming-minded fingers tend to follow each other into numbness, I’m rather intrigued by the now-defunct hand warmer known as the muff.

Dating back to the 16th century, the muff is a cylinder of hand-warming coziness with an opening at both ends. Generally made of fur or a luxurious fabric like velvet or silk, the muff was an integral item for both men and women until the 19th century. Though men muffled their muff-toting habits at this time, women held onto the trend through the early 20th century. After a bite-sized revival in the 1940s and ’50s, and exciting-but-not-trendsetting appearances in the runway shows of Chanel and Hermès several years ago, the muff scuffed its feet off the style scene for good.

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

12 Responses to Obsolete Fashion: Muff-ling the Cold

1. RBuccicone 11/23/2011 at 8:41 am #

I’m glad you posted this because I actually REALLY want a muff of faux fur. You can find some on etsy but none have caught my fancy or price range yet.

2. Jarod 11/23/2011 at 8:53 am #

I like the idea in theory, but what do you do with the thing when you’re not wearing it? The one in the picture looks like it could use a shoulder strap. I can only hope the muff paves the way for the return of the top hat and cane…

3. Julie C. (ModCloth) 11/23/2011 at 10:20 am #

I actually HAVE a white, vintage, faux fur muff that came with a matching hat. I do occasionally wear the hat on chilly days, but have never rocked the muff. It just doesn’t get that cold in the Bay Area, and as Jarod mentioned above, I have no idea where I’d put it when I wasn’t wearing it! Perhaps I’ll think of something creative to do with it. Cat cozy?

4. Rebecca Jean 11/23/2011 at 10:22 am #

Muffs disappeared? Who knew. I have several and can be seen sporting them all winter long. @Jarod, some actually do come with a shoulder strap. Most of the time when I’m not using mine I just wear it on my forearm so that my hand is still free. Some even contain small pockets to function as a purse. You can only carry a few small things like lipstick, a coin purse and a few cards, but what more do you need? I love them, but they are hard to find.

5. Grace 11/23/2011 at 11:43 am #

I use my muff every winter! I bought it from someone in the Midwest on eBay and it keeps my hands so so warm. Mine is plush, I’m not a big fur fan. It is kind of an awkward item to have when you’re not using it but you can stuff it into a purse or leave it on one arm. I’m thinking I might trying adding straps to mine! I’ve never even thought of that. I would also love to make one that looks a little more modern, maybe use an old sweater or something. Muffs are seriously the key to keeping my hands warm on long walks.

6. Caitlin 11/23/2011 at 1:03 pm #

I think it would be great for muffs to be converted into purses. Give them big pockets, enough for a wallet, some makeup, and a phone and it’s bound to turn into a trend.

7. Kitty 11/23/2011 at 2:25 pm #

I love muffs! I have a few that I’ve made from some faux fur. I added some chain to them to make neckstraps, and put a little pocket on the back for my cellphone, keys, money, and lipgloss. They’re great for colder days. My hands always freeze, so I like to double-up, and wear my muff with gloves.

8. Rowena@ Bespoke Suits 11/25/2011 at 1:04 am #

Muffs are really cool and they tend to lessen the coldness. Making new innovations out of this simple product can be a trend too. Really like to place some simple stuff in my muffs too, but there’s no pocket in it. :D

9. Brittany 11/27/2011 at 1:59 pm #

When I was a little kid I had a pink fake fur coat with a matching muff. The muff had a string for around your neck. I think as long as they have that string they’re a really good idea. I remember it did a better job at keeping my hands warm than gloves.

10. Jean 11/28/2011 at 10:30 am #

I have a large one that has a small loop you can use to dangle over your wrist or forearm when you’re not actually wearing it for hand warmth. The inside has a nice zippered pouch that holds all the essentials, so no additional purse is needed. I also have a smaller one that doesn’t hold more than a lipstick, some folding money, and ID (but sometimes that’s all you need). As a previous poster stated, you just push the muff up your forearm when you need to use both hands. In a way, it is less cumbersome than toting around a purse all night.

11. Kerrie 11/28/2011 at 6:11 pm #

When I was little, one of my dolls had a little poncho coat and muff set and I always wanted one for myself, but now that I’m grown I’ve never thought to look for one online! I have a blanket that rolls up and has a velcro fastener and small handle, which I have used as a makeshift muff when my gloves aren’t enough in the northeastern cold! Now I’m off to tweet a great christmas gift in some people’s ears ;)

12. Kerrie 11/28/2011 at 6:18 pm #

I also just remembered that football quarterbacks wear muffs that look like fanny packs to keep their hands warm when they’re off the field…which is very practical and I think this style could easily be modified and transitioned from the sports field into the fashion field!