Hot for Hot Chocolate Spoons

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

DIY Hot Chocolate Spoons

You forgot a gift for who? No one, actually, since you can pull together this Hot Chocolate Spoon DIY in a flash! Your gifts are already wrapped? Well then, invite a couple of friends over to celebrate the season with the most baller hot chocolate setup they’ve ever seen. The ingredients are sweet, the setup is simple, and the cleanup is finger-lickin’ good.

DIY Hot Chocolate Spoons
Adapted from Alpha Mom

Mismatching spoons (I used a mix of thrifted spoons and ones from our retro-inspired Cutensils Cutlery Set!)
Chocolate chips, regular and mini
Peanut butter chips
White chocolate chips
Marshmallows
Shredded coconut
Crushed candy canes
Wax paper

1. Starting with the chocolate you want to dip your spoons in, heat the chocolate chips in the microwave safe bowl. After a minute, stir, and place back in the microwave for 20-second intervals until melted.

2. Dip your spoon in the melted chocolate, making sure to turn and rotate until it is fully covered. Place the spoon on the wax paper.

3. While the chocolate is drying, decorate them! Take inspiration from the examples I provided, or come up with your own creative concoctions. Basically, there is no wrong way to decorate your spoons for dippin’.

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

11 Responses to Hot for Hot Chocolate Spoons

1. Marie 12/21/2011 at 1:37 pm #

Great idea! :)

2. Lauren 12/21/2011 at 1:39 pm #

I saw I diy for this, except they used wooden spoons. But those are definitely not sold in walmart or fred meyer, so the mismatched spoon idea is so cute and perfect!

3. Kristen 12/21/2011 at 1:40 pm #

What a fabulous gift idea! Might just have to whip up some of these for my nieces and nephews for an extra Christmas present! Thanks for sharing!!!

4. Lauren Helen 12/21/2011 at 2:43 pm #

This is way more environmentally friendly than using wooden spoons, and it is also completely adorable! It’s a sweet idea, but I don’t know if I’d have the patience for it.

5. D 12/21/2011 at 2:53 pm #

I done something similar in the past, except I used plastic spoons: I like the idea of the mismatched spoons instead. However, you do it though, people love them. They were a huge hit with my family and friends. I may have to make some again this year.

6. Julia 12/21/2011 at 4:30 pm #

I’d love to try this project. It’s so cute!

7. Miss.Meg 12/21/2011 at 6:08 pm #

This is such a fun idea! It’s such a shame all my friends are bloody health nuts :( I’m not – but I can’t eat six by myself!!!

8. Jillian Garabedian 12/21/2011 at 6:37 pm #

This is so cute- can anyone tell me what they usually plan on dipping these in though so I can get ideas of what i want to make- Ive seen plain chocolate. like for hot cocoa or coffee, but what do you dip the peanut butter ones in? Id love to do this xmas with the kiddos!

9. Madre 01/17/2012 at 8:40 pm #

AWESOME!!

10. Jamie 10/02/2012 at 3:07 pm #

Do you think you could mail these? I have a secret santa project and it going from OK to Ohio?

• Julianne 10/03/2012 at 11:09 am #

Hey, Jamie!

Good question. I might recommend wrapping them individually in clear plastic wrap in the event that they happen to melt at all. Also, if you could find a place that will pack them with dry ice (think ice cream shops) I think that could be your best bet! Shipping of these could be tricky, but I would try those two options. :)