Let It Snow: How to Make Your Own DIY Snow Globe

When the weather outside is frightful, we say make something delightful! Simply follow the steps above to create customized snow globes for yourself, or as a fun little gift.

For our snow globe, we opted for a generally festive theme, but if you want mini snow flurries in your globe, find icy-colored glitter and snowflake confetti to create those whorls of white. Snow globes are also great ways to capture memories — fill a globe with a souvenir from a recent trip to create a travel-themed globe, or locate an inside joke-ridden childhood trinket to make a globe for a friend. The possibilities are endless!

DIY winter snow globe

Will you be trying this DIY out this holiday weekend?

anna

About Anna

Anna's the kind of don't-take-yourself-too-seriously gal who can spend an evening at Monday Night Raw and then turn around and write about nail designs and glitter with just as much sincere, unadulterated delight. She's a firm believer in cats' ability to see ghosts, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the fact that if she wishes enough, she'll never have to iron again.

, , , , ,

50 Responses to Let It Snow: How to Make Your Own DIY Snow Globe

1. intomind 12/23/2011 at 1:00 pm #

wow this is like the coolest thing in the world!

2. Al 12/23/2011 at 2:28 pm #

if you add a drop of glycerin to the water the glitter snow will fall in a nicer way. Also, it’s usually best to used distilled water, which is free from minerals and bacteria which can cause some yucky issues.

• Lauren Helen 12/23/2011 at 3:31 pm #

Great tips, thanks!

• Monica 12/27/2011 at 1:13 pm #

I’ve made these using Mineral Oil/Baby Oil instead of water.

3. Lauren Helen 12/23/2011 at 3:31 pm #

This is a great DIY! I would never have thought to make my own, but you could put the cutest things inside! Thanks!

• Kathi 01/20/2014 at 3:18 am #

I’ve made them with laminated pictures of the Grandkids with each Geandchild! They treasure them.

4. TheCoffee&CraftsChronicles. 12/23/2011 at 7:03 pm #

I really love this idea, I want to make so many!

5. Gabriela 12/27/2011 at 11:48 am #

this is so cool and seems so easy! im not usually the crafty type but this seems like a fun and cool way to spend an afternoon alone or with friends. thanks!

6. Julia 12/27/2011 at 5:42 pm #

it’s pretty cool but you should add a couple drops of glycerin, which slows down the glitter from falling.

• Amanda 01/19/2012 at 11:28 am #

Where can you find glycerin?

• Julia 01/19/2012 at 1:10 pm #

Joanne’s or michael’s

• Ellen 11/25/2013 at 2:54 pm #

You can find it in cvs, walgreens, etc. in make up section

• Karen 03/26/2014 at 2:47 am #

You can find glycerine in Michael’s in their baking accessories area.

7. Anna (ModCloth) 12/28/2011 at 8:28 am #

These are all awesome tips! Our photographer, Mindi, said she’s made them using clear baby oil instead of water. It can get a little messy, so be careful and take your time, but the thickness of the baby oil gives the glitter an ultra-dreamy effect!

8. Darcy 12/31/2011 at 5:17 pm #

Another tip is to try and find non rusting glitter.

9. Sonia Wild 01/29/2012 at 7:50 am #

I remember doing these as a kid!!! Great way to re-use baby food/extra jars and unused little toys laying around!

10. Kristen Shaw 01/31/2012 at 9:20 pm #

This may seem like a dumb question but where can I get a jar that size to do this project?

• heidi 02/18/2012 at 4:31 am #

I have used baby food jars.

11. Kelly 03/09/2012 at 12:46 pm #

Where have you found figurines to fit into baby food jars. I’m struggling to find any!

• Jaxx 05/31/2012 at 6:18 pm #

you can find figurines like this at the goodwill or garage sales :)

12. Ann 05/01/2012 at 2:05 pm #

What kind of glue did you use? We tried this project with Gorilla glue – the glue ended up dissolving enough to completely make the water/glitter/dish detergent part too cloudy to see the figure. And we used clear dishwashing liquid, as we couldn’t find liquid glyerin anywhere (including Michael’s).

13. Katia 06/11/2012 at 4:58 am #

Where have you found jar and lid like image?

14. Lex 07/24/2012 at 2:31 pm #

Where did you get the glue that you used?

15. hannah 07/24/2012 at 10:55 pm #

ok i am trying to do this and i have tried different figurines and none of them will stay..what should i do differently

16. Brenda 07/26/2012 at 9:04 am #

If you add a tablespoon of glycerin (which you can purchase at the drugstore) it makes the snow (glidder)
    Float and sparkle much better. Worth the effort.

17. lheureuseimparfaite 08/07/2012 at 4:26 am #

Love your great idea, i reblog it ♥ ♥ ♥ !

18. Denise 10/27/2012 at 3:20 pm #

Martha Stewart says to use epoxy for fastening figurines she also suggests distilled water and glycerin as for jars you can buy bulk in canning section of various sizes hope these suggestions help

19. Meharwade 11/20/2012 at 4:26 am #

Good One…

20. PlainJaneBakes 11/29/2012 at 11:59 am #

You can find the waterproof glue in the crafting glue aisle at Michaels or Joanns. I found some at Walmart too. Just read the fine print, it’s not bold and big on the packaging, so you might have looked right over it.
    I’m making these for Christmas knick knacks for family and friends, but the issue I’m having is with the glitter pooling at either the top or bottom and then there’s just this big glob of glitter in one place. Any ideas how to remedy that?

• Paloma 11/30/2012 at 11:02 am #

same problem!

21. Raquel Fernandes 11/30/2012 at 10:04 am #

Very Good

22. Paloma 11/30/2012 at 11:01 am #

sorry, is paraffin oil the same as glycerin? i tried with paraffin but the water got cloudy and glitters clusted in big glitter balls! same problem as @PlainJaneBakes. it is because of paraffin or did i something wrong? another question, does baby oil give a good effect? do you have to melt it also with water or use it alone? thanks and congrats for the great idea! ;)

23. plainjanebakes 11/30/2012 at 5:13 pm #

Even in the picture above though, it looks like it’s glopping at the top too, so maybe that’s just how it is when you add that much glitter. maybe a super fine glitter in small amounts would do the trick (even though i wouldn’t expect it to show up very well)

24. Mercedes K 11/30/2012 at 8:42 pm #

I didn’t read all the comments, but you can find glycerin at Walmart in the Pharmacy area. I used liquid glycerin for fake skin at halloween and looked everywhere for 4 weeks before finding it there.

25. Angela 12/07/2012 at 3:43 am #

I couldn’t find glycerine so I used a little bubble solution – worked great. Also, used clear shower caulk to “glue” the figurine down. Worked like a charm. The best thing – I had all the items already in the house!

26. Margie 12/08/2012 at 12:25 pm #

I tried with baby oil for one, water for another. Just ended up with a sticky, icky mess :-( Glitter clumps and sticks. Where did I do wrong?

27. rayasymanchas 12/10/2012 at 2:42 am #

Great job!!!!! I´m in love with your blog!

Visit my blog, I have a new giveaway

28. Adriana 12/13/2012 at 8:28 am #

Sencilla y buena idea, se puede poner algún
    motivo navideño y transformarlo en una bola con nieve.!! Gracias!!

29. Anuszka 12/18/2012 at 1:22 am #

You forgot about gliceryne. U sholud use it, try.

30. Ashley 01/16/2013 at 7:10 am #

I tried these multiple ways. Plain water – glitter just sinks to the bottom. Water with glycerin – clumps of glitter on the top and sticks to the bottom. Water with baby oil – the oil separates from the water and the glitter sits between the two. Clear non-scented baby oil – PERFECT! It’s clear so no cloudiness, it doesn’t rust the figurine, and the glitter flows beautifully. Also, I used a hot glue gun to fix on the figurine and epoxy for the lid. Another recommendation, screw on the cap and leave on the counter for a few days BEFORE dealing with glue. This is so you can see if it gets cloudy or rusty or a color starts to run from the figure, you can just unscrew and start over. If everything is fine in a few days, glue the lid on.

31. K.g 01/30/2013 at 5:53 am #

Woow. I love it

32. Kelly 02/09/2013 at 6:16 am #

Amazing! I made this for my BFF, and I hope she <3s it!

• kCurly 11/21/2013 at 5:40 pm #

Weird because that was what i was going to do!!! LOL, will it still work ok w/o glycerin?? or baby oil! i just wanna use water! will it be horrible?

33. report 03/27/2013 at 4:45 am #

I always used to study post in news papers but now as I am a user of net
    so from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

34. Sophie 04/27/2013 at 1:44 pm #

If you used sprinkled would they dissolve?

• Aimee 05/21/2013 at 8:12 am #

Sprinked what? The smaller the glitter the better. I am finding glycerin and distilled water to work great….Look for water resistant glue to glue the figurine and lid. Glycerin is in the pharmacy area of shopping centers.

35. Aimee 05/21/2013 at 8:20 am #

What would some one recommend to use for cutting snowflakes out with a hole punch?

36. marta 06/01/2013 at 12:26 pm #

this is really cool. i think i’m going to make one with a motorcycle inside for my boyfriend (he’s a biker). :)

37. mommyof2and3yearold 11/05/2013 at 7:38 pm #

my 2 and 3 year old and I are going to make these as Christmas gifts for those the munchkins buy for… thanks for all the great tips and thinking it just might be easier to use the baby oil… couple less steps for the kids to do lol. We will see what way is cheaper when pricing it all out :)

38. Debbie 11/27/2013 at 3:13 pm #

To keep this a low-cost project, shop resale and consignment stores for jars with lids, mis-matched wine glasses, etc. for the globe, esp. a resale that supports a non-for-profit in the community. You can save jelly jars, etc. Sometimes when I buy pasta sauce, etc. I look for a brand with a cool jar knowing that I will save the jar for the craft!