Just in Suitcase – A Novel Furnishing Idea

Above, Recreate’s suitcase chair in Revrobe Cameo Blue.

The minute I chanced upon these upcycled suitcase chairs by interior design shop Recreate, sitting all packed up and pretty in a far corner of the internet, I developed a dire case of the ‘I want you’s.’ Who would have thought that vintage-suitcases-turned-chairs could be so feverishly good-looking? Sadly, these superb suitcase seats come with a price tag I really can’t justify, so in hopes of curing my ‘I want you’s,’ I’ll just sit and ogle.

Clockwise from the left: Recreate’s Square Brown Leather chair, White Silverline chair, and Leather Case/Yellow Knit chair.

Any decor items that have you in the throes of desire?

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

, , , ,

13 Responses to Just in Suitcase – A Novel Furnishing Idea

1. Sunita 01/05/2012 at 9:01 am #

Those are so beautiful! Thanks for making my heart hurt, Hannah. : ) As it is for you, these are out of my price range. Such a tragedy.

2. Jessica 01/05/2012 at 10:57 am #

Wow I am blown away by these! Makes me want to save up and buy one of these bad boys.

3. staciegrissom 01/05/2012 at 11:33 am #

Ahh! These are so cool! I have to try and figure out how to make one. :) My mom just made me a table made out of a suitcase though!

4. Kayla 01/05/2012 at 12:44 pm #

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately these unique products are out of my college student budget, but I’m interested in trying to make something similar on my own.

5. Ines 01/05/2012 at 3:52 pm #

so pretty!!!!

6. Hollie H 01/05/2012 at 5:01 pm #

Amazing! Time to try some DIY… :)

7. Alissa B 01/05/2012 at 8:22 pm #

what a cute and clever diy! may have to try that out

alissa b

8. Kat 01/06/2012 at 8:29 am #

These are beautiful pieces of furniture, and they looked pretty doable as a diy project, so I googled:

This is from a blog called “See Kate Sew”. I’m not very good at sewing, but this seems like a good first project. The instruction provided are very helpful.

I’m thinking of making one of these chairs, and once I do I’ll post my results :D

• Hannah (ModCloth) 01/06/2012 at 10:19 am #

Ooh, I’d love to see someone try this. It’d be very inspiring, I do say. Look forward to your post!

9. manda 01/06/2012 at 9:41 am #

I want these chairs!!!
    They are Beautiful!!!

10. Lauren Helen 01/07/2012 at 8:03 am #

Recreate has a lot of really amazing stuff! They once made a cupboard out of an old stove, it was the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen!
    I love how they use recycling as a way of making beautiful furniture!

11. Jay 01/08/2012 at 8:19 pm #

I have vintage suitcases like these. I’d like to make my own. Maybe a DIY project in the future..

12. Gina Richardson 01/26/2012 at 9:34 am #

These furniture pieces are truly unique. I am a definitely getting these…