Make Your Own Dip-dyed Mittens From an Old Sweater

Wintry woes can give even the most adventurous of DIY-mongers crafter’s block, but don’t let that be you! This 5-step project – created specially for all you Moddies by Katie of Skunkboy Creatures – is sure to return you to a must-make state of mind.

DIY Dip-dyed Mittens
By Katie Shelton, Skunkboy Creatures

Pencil
Scissors
Graph paper
Fabric dye
Old pot and plate
A sweater you’re ready to sacrifice
Sewing machine or needle-and-thread
Felt or yarn for personalization (optional)

1. Use pencil to loosely trace your hand atop graph paper to create mitten pattern.

2. Using pattern, cut out your two mittens (front and back), using the gathered bottom of the sweater for your cuffs.

3. Flip mitten pieces inside-out and either machine sew or hand-stitch around edges, leaving the bottom open and unstitched for wrists.

4. After both mittens have been stitched together, flip them right side-out.

5. Prepare dye. Then, dip the top of each mitten into dye. It will start to seep up the mitten’s fabric, so you’ll want to do this slowly. Once you’ve achieved your desired look, rinse mittens thoroughly and allow to dry on plate.

Embellish with felt cutouts or colorful yarn to personalize, then cozy up with your new, pretty pair!

Check out more totally do-able DIYs here!

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Make Your Own Dip-dyed Mittens From an Old Sweater

1. Christina 01/17/2012 at 8:28 am #

So clever. What a great winter project. :)

Check out the chicken enchiladas I made over the weekend.

xo,
    Christina

2. Erica 01/17/2012 at 10:00 am #

How cute!! I think I’m going to give it a try :)

3. teddi 01/17/2012 at 11:39 am #

very cute, & creative dear katie! :)

4. Rachel Jones 01/17/2012 at 2:25 pm #

I looove how they’re dyed with the soft gradient. I might have to make a couple of these now :)

5. Eliza 01/17/2012 at 4:00 pm #

Hey! I love this idea!

That lady should be paid at least $1,000,000 for her amazing work.

Keep up the great posts, Modcloth!

6. Sunny 01/17/2012 at 4:17 pm #

This is great! I am just getting into sewing so this would be a nice little project for me. Doesn’t seem like I can mess it up too bad.

7. Breanna 01/18/2012 at 4:12 am #

That’s a very good idea! I might have to try it sometime.

8. Lauren Helen 01/18/2012 at 1:39 pm #

Cute idea! I love Katie’s blog!

9. Ololi 01/19/2012 at 2:21 am #

Love these! As soon as I find an old but cute sweater, I’ll sure make a pair ;)

10. Linda 01/20/2012 at 8:27 am #

Such a cute idea! I might have to propose this to my craft group as a project <3

11. Catherine 01/21/2012 at 7:35 am #

Thank you for this idea. I teach students with Cerebral Palsy and severe mental impairment. I plan to make these for them, with one adaptation: no thumbs. (It is very difficult to get little thumbs into mittens.)

12. Jjanga 01/23/2012 at 6:53 am #

I’m in love with dip dying and I can’t wait to try this idea out!

xoxo, Jjanga

13. Beth 01/23/2012 at 9:17 pm #

So sweet! I happen to have some sweaters I got cheap cheap from the charity shop. I felted them already to make some hats, now I can have a pair of mittens to match. and, to boot, I love to applique! Can’t wait to try this out for myself and for each of my three kids!

14. Scotty 02/12/2012 at 11:54 am #

It’s even better to use old, wool (even moth-eaten) from a goodwill or salvation army store, or one you’re ready to toss out because of rips, tears or shrinkage. A man’s large or extra large can be felted (shrunk) in the washing machine (hot water – so the bonus is you know they’re nice and clean) and turned into even a rather large tote bag. So many amazing things including bags, rugs, hats, scarves and mittens can be ‘recycled’ out of any size or colour. The knitting doesn’t unravel once it’s been felted., so is easily stitched together. Youtube has tons of videos showing just how to go about the process of ‘felting’ wool and it makes mittens and hats toasty warm. A win-win. :)