Single File: A Retro-Inspired File Folder DIY from A Beautiful Mess

Easy Breezy Floral File Folders
By Elsie Larson, A Beautiful Mess

“Getting organized helps me stay motivated, especially when I have pretty things in my workspace to enjoy!” says Elsie. “Today, I’ll show you how to make some retro-inspired file folders in under 15 minutes!”

Scissors
Adhesive (tape or glue)
File folders
Vintage wallpaper (or, scrapbooking paper)

1. Use scissors to cut wallpaper into a piece larger than the file folder you want to cover.

2. Adhere wallpaper to folder using adhesive, then cut around folder edge. Flip folder over and cut around opposite side’s edge, as well, using the back of the folder as a guide for your scissors.

Elsie’s Quick Tips:

• Use plenty of adhesive so the paper stays put.
  • For varied looks, cover the outsides or insides of the folders, so different parts of the pattern are exposed. I like covering the inside so the tab peeking out has a cute pattern!

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , , ,

8 Responses to Single File: A Retro-Inspired File Folder DIY from A Beautiful Mess

1. andrea lynne rose 01/30/2012 at 7:11 am #

this is a pretty amazing idea. it helps to give each folder its own identity!

2. Robyn Sears 01/30/2012 at 7:35 am #

I need these in my life… well I need organization in general in my life, but it might as well be this pretty.

3. Lindsay @ Daily Doily 01/30/2012 at 7:47 am #

So easy + so cute :) Thanks for the great idea! ♥

4. Amanda 01/30/2012 at 8:09 am #

Oooh, I am such a sucker for pretty office supplies! What kind of glue did you use?

5. Catherine Denton 01/30/2012 at 2:21 pm #

I’ve seen files decorated like this in the stores and refrained from buying them. But now I can make my own! AND I happen to have some cute old wallpaper Mom brought me (she knows my love of papers).
    Catherine Denton

6. Jessica 01/30/2012 at 4:28 pm #

ohhh these are so cute and easy to make

7. Sabina 01/30/2012 at 6:59 pm #

I admit I never would have thought to do this on my own, but I wanna try it now at work.

8. Lauren Helen 02/03/2012 at 7:15 am #

I saw these a few days ago over at A Beautiful Mess! She always has the cutest DIYs!