Hopping Around Houston with Bleubird Vintage

If your dream day involves vintage, music, and tasty treats, then have we got the itinerary for you. For this February edition of Travel Bug, James of Bleubird Vintage led us on a caffeine-fueled tour — there are no less than three cafe recommendations in this post — of her hometown, Houston, Texas.

Ready to get your coffee ‘n’ culture fix? Let’s go!

Our tour guide sports the Jovian Planet Top, Caramel Latte Cardigan, Graham Scheme of Things Skirt, and Rachel Antonoff for Bass Piper Parade Shoe.

1. Antidote. “The first stop on our tour is one of my favorite local coffee shops, Antidote. It is in walking distance from our house, and we go there often for coffee, a quick bite from the hotdog truck that frequents Antidote’s parking lot, or to watch an outdoor movie in their courtyard. They have a laid-back atmosphere with local art on the walls and unique, living room-style seating. Definitely a favorite spot.”

2. Replay on 19th Street. “One of my favorite vintage shops here in the Houston Heights. They have an enormous selection of unique finds, and their prices aren’t outrageous like so many [of] the other shops in town. Everything is sorted by era, style, and most of the racks are sorted by color. I found one of my bridesmaid’s dresses here. Replay does not disappoint.”

3. Cafe Brasil. “Excellent food and incredible patios. Brasil is one of my favorite cafés, right in the heart of Montrose (a hip area of Houston with lots of great shops, bars, coffee houses, and restaurants). I recommend their beet and goat cheese sandwich on ciabatta and their pomme frites.”

4. Cactus Music. “We love Cactus! The people that work there are great and very helpful. They have a large selection and frequent in-store [concerts], where you can see touring artists play while sipping on a pint of free local beer.”

5. Agora. “Hands down, the most chill and relaxed coffee and wine bar in Houston. It’s hard to find a seat most days, because this place has become such a popular spot for locals.”

6. Revival Market. “Everything they make and carry is locally made or grown. They carry everything… fresh eggs, yogurt, butchered meats, pickled beets, bulk olive oil, and macarons. They also make a killer breakfast taco and one mean cup of coffee. The folks at Revival are extremely friendly, and I always feel like family when I stop in.”

Thanks for the tour, James!

Have you been to Houston? What would you recommend?

About blogghostwritermodcloth

, , , , , ,

23 Responses to Hopping Around Houston with Bleubird Vintage

1. Jjanga 02/03/2012 at 1:10 pm #

I want to go to Houston now! We have a lovely French bakery in Indianapolis that makes the BEST macarons I’ve ever had!

xoxo, jjanga

2. E. 02/03/2012 at 1:14 pm #

Wow, two Indianapolis bloggers in a row! See my Super Bowl city guide here: http://voyage-on.blogspot.com/2012/02/lets-get-ready-to-rrrrrrrrruuuuuummmmbb.htm

3. Taylor 02/03/2012 at 1:16 pm #

I can’t wait to go back to Houston now! I would definitely recommend Hugo’s for a to-die-for Sunday brunch and Ruggles Green for the best bread pudding on the planet!

4. Amanda 02/03/2012 at 1:25 pm #

Very cute town, indeed! I just thought I would say I just love the vintage shop, and the record store, and may I say Miss I just adore your glasses!

5. Kelly 02/03/2012 at 6:23 pm #

Moving into the montrose area, would love some more recs from modclothers!!

6. sharonmorse 02/03/2012 at 8:04 pm #

Thanks for the suggestions…I LIVE here and haven’t been to some of these places! Granted, I’m stuck out in the ‘burbs, but I’ll be making a few special trips to check some of these out.

7. Christy 02/03/2012 at 11:44 pm #

i live in the suburbs just outside Houston. I love to shop down on Montrose! It is so much fun!

8. Sabrina 02/04/2012 at 2:57 am #

I’m Houston born and raised. I recently moved and am missing everything! They have the best food in Montrose area. Try Barnaby’s they are by far my favorite spot for all types of food and convenient for me since I use to live in the Heights.

9. asheslaree 02/04/2012 at 6:16 am #

OH lovely! I miss houston now, I grew up there lived in the montrose for a year then moved to Austin, TX. Cafe Brazil and Agora are two of my favorite places that I miss the most.

10. Two Happy Hearts 02/04/2012 at 1:10 pm #

so great!! Houston is such a great place.
    I’ll have to check out these spots next time I’m there.
    Thanks for sharing James!

11. Sabina 02/04/2012 at 2:11 pm #

Never been to Houston though this tour is now making me want to go. And great photos–I’m a follower of James’ blog, and I actually read it about here first.

12. sallie 02/04/2012 at 3:10 pm #

I used to live in the Houston Heights – right near a lot of this stuff (and apparently Ms. James – hiya neighbor!) One of my favorite Houston places was the restaurant Feast in Montrose, and Downhouse on Yale in the Heights. Also, the most amazing clothing shop is in Rice Village – Leap. A bit on the expensive side but they have the best designers that are hard to find anywhere else – and really good sales!

Thanks for the Houston feature – its a pretty cool place!

13. Hilary 02/04/2012 at 6:55 pm #

The best Italian restaurant I’ve ever been to (and possibly in the whole country) is D’Amicos in Rice Village. I miss that place so much! Follow up with Ruggles for to-die-for desserts.

14. Twila Jean 02/04/2012 at 9:41 pm #

I love her blog! been following it for a long while now. SOOO cute. I love how she captures life.

15. shell 02/05/2012 at 8:05 am #

I love Jame’s shoes I need a pair STAT

16. sophie 02/05/2012 at 12:11 pm #

Taxi Taxi is worth combing through, especially for accessories..bags.. shoes…

17. karko 02/06/2012 at 6:32 am #

I LOVE YOUR BLOG:)

check out my site

18. Kids Designer Clothes 02/06/2012 at 8:10 am #

wow, they are absolutely beautiful!! I started hanging my dresses on a separate rack outside of my closet so I can see what to wear. I wish I had a huge house with a room just for my vintage wardrobe! :)

19. Jenn 02/14/2012 at 7:54 pm #

When we traveled through Houston we spent a morning exploring Texas Junk. Fantastic selection of vintage cowboy boys and other treasures. :-)

20. Sarah 03/21/2012 at 11:50 am #

I didn’t realize that Houston had so many wonderful places. Every time I’ve been through there I’ve been too angry about the horrible drivers to even think about finding a nice place to chill out. Maybe I will make a weekend trip there soon to check out these places you suggest =)

21. Deiny DLC 06/06/2013 at 11:03 am #

This blog is great and does highlight my fav places: Brazil and Agora! Brazil has great goat cheese pizza along with the other selections. If you are looking for eccentric and good bargains, Montrose is best. The Heights also offers great restaurants and provides a small town feel within the big city.

22. j e f 11/25/2013 at 1:04 pm #

great! I hope this information is still up to date – I am moving to Houston next year!
    j e f

• Kelly 11/27/2013 at 8:16 am #

FYI everyone – Houston has only gotten BETTER after this post was published, so you won’t be disappointed. My personal recommendations for a visit: free art at the Menil, food from a food truck (flippin patties, Bernie’s, htown streats, ladybird – just a few, hard to go wrong), coffee tour (inversion, dirks, boomtown, southside, brasil), local shopping on 19th street, and dinner at Downhouse, Witchcraft, or Roost. Enjoy!