Fave Finds: ModWriter Julie’s Vintage Valentine Scrapbook

Valentine’s Day has long been one of my favorite holidays. I have fond memories of carefully signing cards for each of my classmates, throwing candy conversation hearts into the envelope, and joyfully opening cards during the class party. Even nowadays — and it doesn’t matter whether I’m single or coupled up — I think of V-Day as a fun excuse to give coworkers those same boxed valentines we all got as kids, and making or buying little treats for that special someone! (Confession: I never liked to actually EAT those chalky convo hearts.)

Several years ago, my friend was clearing out his massive collection of ephemera and asked me if I’d like a vintage valentine scrapbook. Would I ever! When I received it in the mail, I was astounded. This queen of hearts collected cards dating from the 1930s all the way through the 1970s!

I especially love the thin, delicately detailed valentines of the Depression era, considering that buying cards then must have been quite a splurge. I’m also fond of the kitschy and cartoony kiddie cards of the ‘50s and ‘60s!

What about you? Do you have any Valentine’s Day rituals, or collect any holiday-themed items?

Ad Writer Julie C.

7 Responses to Fave Finds: ModWriter Julie’s Vintage Valentine Scrapbook

1. Laura (ModCloth) 02/06/2012 at 1:22 pm #

What a collection, Julie!

I actually just began collecting cheesy holiday music records, and by collecting. I mean I have one. It was a free promotional gift for True Value Hardware customers who spent a certain amount of money. I framed it and use it on my apartment unit’s front door instead of a wreath, but hoping to find a bunch more, so I can have some holiday decor inside, too!

2. Cindy (ModCloth) 02/06/2012 at 4:46 pm #

WOW! These are all so awesome.

3. margaux 02/06/2012 at 9:25 pm #

confession: i have box of old valentines day cards… I like to see that being horribly corny and sweet has existed forever. (totally going to thrift an old photo album to put them in now!)

confession number two: i actually did like the valentines day hearts… even though they taste like chalk.

4. Amy 02/07/2012 at 9:59 am #

I always buy a candle when I go abroad…. my window sill is very overflowing! I also try to get a rock or something earthy..I came back from Argentina with part of a pavement :-)

That scrapbook with Valentines cards in, is such a sweet idea, and a definate pick me up for down days!

5. Amanda 02/07/2012 at 2:27 pm #

This has inspired me to get my behind in gear. I have a collection of all sorts of cards put away. Everything from birthday’s, Christmas, Halloween, Valentines Day, etc. I want to make a scrapbook of them all. It is so important to keep things like that, to me. I even have cards with cute little sketches inside them.

Thank you for the inspiration even if what I have is not all Valentines. ;)

6. Heldine 02/10/2012 at 5:07 pm #

That is so awesome. :)

7. french7presents 02/14/2012 at 6:58 pm #

Awesome! Nowadays, I can rarely resist picking up a silly box of valentines to sign and hand out…the sillier the better. recent past purchases include the A Team (found at garage sale) and Barbie.