ModCloth Hosts Fashion Writing Workshop for San Francisco Teens!

This month, stylish students from San Francisco area schools are filing into 826 Valencia for ModCloth’s first-ever fashion writing workshop. Yes, you heard us! For four weeks, we’re running an after-school class called Catwalk or Run: Fashion Writing for the Fearless, and are excited to share a peek at what we’ve been up to.

We kicked off our first class by inviting one of our team leads to model a ModCloth outfit for the students to describe, using adjectives we brainstormed together, and since then they’ve tackled stylebook writing, street style, and more.

This year marks the 10th anniversary for 826 Valencia, a nationally renowned non-profit organization co-founded by Dave Eggers and Ninive Calegari when they recognized the need for volunteers to support the public school system. Through a wide range of free-to-the-public programs and one-on-one tutoring for students ages six to eighteen, 826 – as locals call it – is now one of the most successful tutoring programs in the country. Their quirky pirate shop storefront serves as a welcoming gateway to the space, while also satisfying requirements that the inner-city building be used as a retail space.

All we have to say is, “Watch out, Vogue!”

Stay tuned for more coverage of our collaborations with 826 Valencia, or check out the tech-based tour at our Pittsburgh office for more on our outreach projects!

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , ,

14 Responses to ModCloth Hosts Fashion Writing Workshop for San Francisco Teens!

1. Lisa 02/10/2012 at 10:27 am #

Another reason why ModCloth is so amazing! Lovely article!

2. Eliza 02/10/2012 at 11:13 am #

Ugh! I wish I lived in San Fransico. Any chance you might bring this closer to New England? New England needs Modcloth, too!

• Laura (ModCloth) 02/10/2012 at 11:46 am #

If we do, Eliza, you will be the first to know! There is, however, an 826 Writing Center in Boston in case you’re interested in checking out what they have to offer. Here’s the link! http://826boston.org/

3. Eliza 02/10/2012 at 12:05 pm #

Thanks so much, Laura! It will be well (and very much) appreciated.

I love writing, and have to see if my folks will bring me down.

Modcloth is wonderful!

4. aline 02/10/2012 at 12:31 pm #

I wish that there was something like this when I was a teen, so awesome!

5. Moorea Seal 02/10/2012 at 12:31 pm #

Aw this is so awesome. I have a few friends who work for 826 here in Seattle and it is such a wonderful organization. Hooray for empowering young kids through writing…and fashion!
    xo Moorea

6. Chiara 02/10/2012 at 12:53 pm #

Hi, i’m italian. And i have a problem, i have read that the email is out of order. I hope you can help me. I want buy a cloth, but i haven’t dollars, so, can i pay with Euro?

Chiara

7. GoodbyeNavi 02/10/2012 at 2:10 pm #

It’s nice seeing youth get an opportunity like this! I can not tell people how great ModCloth is enough.

8. Yasemin 02/11/2012 at 12:59 pm #

Please do this in Seattle!

9. Cattie 02/11/2012 at 6:44 pm #

Two of my favorite things in one place – 826 Valencia and Modcloth. Yet another reason to love you, MC, because this organization is already dear to my heart! Good on you.

10. isabella 02/11/2012 at 7:42 pm #

Are these workshops still happening?! I would love to go!

11. Des 02/12/2012 at 4:15 pm #

That is soooo cool!!!

12. madeline 02/12/2012 at 11:56 pm #

I Wish Modcloth could have an event in Oregon!…this sounds awesome!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModCloth Blog » Blog Archive » A Fashionable Final Project by San Francisco Teens - 03/29/2012

[…] the work of our Fashion Writers, you’ll know that we recently hosted a workshop called “Catwalk or Run: Fashion Writing for the Fearless,” in which we taught local teens the ins and outs of stylish scribing at writing center 826 […]