Show Off Your Wares with a DIY Shadowbox

As a collector of many a knickknack, I often find myself at a loss on how to properly display my trinkets. Enter the shadowbox. Shadowboxes are simple to create and offer a beautiful way to personalize a collection. So, gathering my collection of ceramic squirrels, I set out to construct a miniature world for them!

Do you have a collection? How do you like to display it?

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950’s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

15 Responses to Show Off Your Wares with a DIY Shadowbox

1. striped girl 02/17/2012 at 1:25 pm #

doesn’t the word “wares” mean things you’re selling?

• Debbi in Texas 02/20/2012 at 7:03 am #

not necessarily, to wit: Archaeology . a group of ceramic types classified according to paste and texture, surface modification, as burnish or glaze, and decorative motifs rather than shape and color.

2. Kora 02/17/2012 at 3:59 pm #

I have a hole in the wall where there are some wires and “man stuff”. It was the only thing I thought that made it look decent without hanging something over. Its just a silly project I did for college with some film negatives and postcards from when I went to the Picasso museum when I was abroad.

3. Jess McDrinky 02/17/2012 at 4:56 pm #

That is so cool.

I was thinking about making one for a small sparrow’s nest I found that had fallen out of a tree. It’s in perfect condition, no bugs or mites. I’ll probably find some small decorative (fake) eggs and a birdy to put in it. Thanks for reminding me!

The only thing I collect is owls and I have them displayed throughout my apartment :)

4. Alison 02/17/2012 at 6:00 pm #

So adorable! Can you find those boxes at any art/crafts supply shop?

• Julie O. (ModCloth) 02/18/2012 at 8:05 am #

Alison, Like Jade says below, these frames are pretty widely available. I bought this one in a chain craft store. Happy crafting!

5. megan 02/17/2012 at 8:30 pm #

i have a collection of 1″ pins from craft shows, friends and just all around cool finds.
    I just made similar shadow boxes to show off some of my favorites

6. Jade (ModCloth) 02/17/2012 at 10:20 pm #

This is such an awesome idea to display smaller collectibles! I don’t like clutter, so most of my small items are just in boxes :/
    Alison – I’ve seen these in a variety of department stores, thrift shops, pretty much most places that sell standard picture frames.. and they come in different sizes! :D

7. Amy 02/18/2012 at 10:31 am #

I use to make these when I was a lot younger. This has brought back fond memories, and inspiration to find that glue gun and a frame!

8. Des 02/18/2012 at 2:02 pm #

That is such a cute idea!

9. Debbi in Texas 02/18/2012 at 7:25 pm #

oh yes, my shadowboxes showcase my grandmothers sparkly jewelry; her sets of brooches and earrings are too pretty to store away, but I won’t be wearing them. I artisticlalty arrange them, then hot glue them into a shadowbox with a backing of black velvet or neutral linen and they sparkle on my walls like artwork.

10. Juliette Gold 02/19/2012 at 1:59 am #

This idea is adorable! Too bad i don’t have a collection. Do you have any ideas? :P

11. Andrea Lynne Rose 02/19/2012 at 7:11 am #

This is such a cute and easy idea. I would love to do something like this :)

12. Anca 02/20/2012 at 2:13 am #

It is great!!! I will do one about owls and horses ..

13. melisscious 02/22/2012 at 10:48 am #

perfect! i am a knickknack collector myself and my place just ends up looking messy and full of clutter. i’m going to try this with my collection of random japanese mini erasers, thanks (: