Nail Klub: Fade into Spring with Our Ombre Nail Tutorial!

This month, our editor, Jenn, challenged us to find a nail tutorial perfect for that glamorous, springtime get-together, and it’s no surprise that super chic ModStylist Mandy supplied our inspiration! A while back, Mandy shared her first attempt at a glittery, ombre design with the Nail Klub, and we couldn’t help but give her bright idea a go. The subtle, sophisticated final product requires simple materials and zero painstaking dexterity.

Plus, you can pick whatever color palette matches your personality — or your party dress!

Try your hand at the tutorial below, and let us know where you’re going to glam it up this season!

anna

About Anna

Anna's the kind of don't-take-yourself-too-seriously gal who can spend an evening at Monday Night Raw and then turn around and write about nail designs and glitter with just as much sincere, unadulterated delight. She's a firm believer in cats' ability to see ghosts, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the fact that if she wishes enough, she'll never have to iron again.

, , , ,

11 Responses to Nail Klub: Fade into Spring with Our Ombre Nail Tutorial!

1. Eliza 02/23/2012 at 11:33 am #

Did you sprinkle glitter on the nails, or did the nail polish come with the glitter? Do you need to use cosmetic sponges, or is there another way to get the desired effect?

I love this tutorial! I’ve always wanted to do a gradient effect on the nails, but never thought of how to do it! You guys are ingenius!

• Anna (ModCloth) 02/23/2012 at 1:22 pm #

Hey Eliza! In the tutorial, I used a clear glittery nail polish over top of the top of the dry colored polish. You can go glitter-free if you want – I just like how it refracts the light and helps encourage the gradient effect! Oh, and I like the cosmetic sponges because of their density – they create a really nice air brushed finish when you’re building up your color!

If you can’t tell, my nails are naturally on the small side, which usually makes nail art tricky or totally unnoticeable. Not only was this look easy, but, despite its subtlety, it actually caught some attention (even the bf noticed my “cool, fade-y” nails)! I’m excited to hear how yours turn out :)

• Eliza 02/25/2012 at 7:40 am #

Thanks so much, Anna! Your nails are actually like the exact same size as mine, so it was a wonderful reference point.

I think I’ll use this for my best friend’s wedding this summer, she’ll love it! So excited, I might do a test drive this spring.

I’ll have to check out my local beauty store to see if they have cosmetic sponges. I actually might have some somewhere around my house…I’ll have to check.

I love the glitter idea, wouldn’t have thought of that!

Thanks for helping out!

2. Hollie H 02/23/2012 at 12:03 pm #

Ohhhh! Love it! :) Just may have to try this tonight!

3. Dainty Girl 02/23/2012 at 12:23 pm #

I just did something like this using Gelish (UV cured gel nail polish) only I did dark tips with a sparkle fade beneath! Turned out pretty cool! Check it out on my blog:

I love reading your fun nail tips! This ombre one is next on my list!
    Nicole aka Dainty Girl

4. Heather 02/23/2012 at 5:03 pm #

Loved the tutorial! Here is my version–the blue is Essie in School of Hard Rocks, and the glitter is Revlon ColorStay in Whimsical.

5. Brigitte 02/28/2012 at 5:28 am #

I love that you all have started doing nail tutorials, but your model here are really tiny nails. I think there’s a better hand model you could use. I’m a nail polish junkie so it’s a little frustrating, it’s hard to even really see the effect on such small, close-clipped nails. Only giving feedback because I love this blog.

6. little.chi 03/08/2012 at 5:58 am #

What are the two polishes did you use? :)

7. courtneymarkgraf 03/08/2012 at 12:19 pm #

I had them do a black/glitter fade at the nail salon and they looked at me like I was crazy! They did it a much more difficult way, but this method looks so easy! Will have to try!

xox,
    Courtney

8. Rona 06/03/2012 at 6:48 pm #

Wow! I just did this with red polish, and it turned out sooo cool and it was really easy, because there was no intricate brush work! Try it !